Snorkel trip for an 8 Yr old? Any sugggestions

skyw

My son is a good swimmer but has never snorkeled. Any operators or tours that would be good for him? Planning to be there in June.

Unfortunately, all decent snorkeling tours in nassau are done from a boat, not an easy way to learn how to snorkel.

You might try this somewhere else along the way.. off shore snorkeling would be best for beginners.

In Nassau, you might plan a beach day at the Sheraton, and bring your own equipment that fits properly (you don't need fins, just snorkel and mask).

He can try snorkeling off the beach at the sheraton.. there are some rocks that have some sealife.

I was just looking at snorkel excursions myself and found Flying Cloud Excursions. It appears to go to a secluded beach for snorkeling, instead of snorkeling right off the boat. I am an experienced snorkeler, but I admit that snorkeling from the beach is a bit more relaxing. I asked on another thread about the quality of the snorkeling on this tour versus another boat tour. I am waiting for an answer on that. However, if the snorkeling is anything decent at all your 8 year old might prefer it. That way if he doesn't like the snorkeling part he can still play in the sand.:)

I was just looking at snorkel excursions myself and found Flying Cloud Excursions. It appears to go to a secluded beach for snorkeling, instead of snorkeling right off the boat. I am an experienced snorkeler, but I admit that snorkeling from the beach is a bit more relaxing. I asked on another thread about the quality of the snorkeling on this tour versus another boat tour. I am waiting for an answer on that. However, if the snorkeling is anything decent at all your 8 year old might prefer it. That way if he doesn't like the snorkeling part he can still play in the sand.:)

This tour goes to Rose Island.. the reef snorkeling off the boat is really quite good. The snorkeling from the beach .. not so much.

Also, you only spend about 40 minutes snorkeling... a little rushed for someone learning how to snorkel..

We were just there last week with our two little girls, ages 7 & 9 who have previously only snorkeled in a swimming pool. Our cruise gave us a day at their private island so we did some practicing there with the snorkel gear as we had a snorkel tour booked with Blue Hole the next day in Nassau. It turned out great for us! Blue Hole is a small, family run operation; very courteous and professional. We didn't want to take the girls on a big party boat with 60 other people for their first snorkel experience so Blue Hole was the perfect choice for us. It was only our family of four on the tour so it was a more intimate and personal experience. Mark, our guide, was great. He took us to two different reefs and we saw lots of beautiful fish and even saw a turtle! The girls did great as it was very laid back and not intimidating. When my 9 year old had enough snorkeling, she went back on the boat by herself, which I would not have let her do if we had been on a boat with tons of other people. I would definitely recommend Blue Hole for snorkeling with kids!

We were just there last week with our two little girls, ages 7 & 9 who have previously only snorkeled in a swimming pool. Our cruise gave us a day at their private island so we did some practicing there with the snorkel gear as we had a snorkel tour booked with Blue Hole the next day in Nassau. It turned out great for us! Blue Hole is a small, family run operation; very courteous and professional. We didn't want to take the girls on a big party boat with 60 other people for their first snorkel experience so Blue Hole was the perfect choice for us. It was only our family of four on the tour so it was a more intimate and personal experience. Mark, our guide, was great. He took us to two different reefs and we saw lots of beautiful fish and even saw a turtle! The girls did great as it was very laid back and not intimidating. When my 9 year old had enough snorkeling, she went back on the boat by herself, which I would not have let her do if we had been on a boat with tons of other people. I would definitely recommend Blue Hole for snorkeling with kids!

glad to hear you picked a winner.. Blue Hole is a great little outfit.

Did you do the 1.5 or 2 hour trip? And how much water time did you get?

We did the 2 hour trip and we got about 40 min. in the water at each reef.

It seemed like plenty of time in the water and still had about 40 min left for the boat ride/sightseeing there and back. In fact, at the second reef, my 9 year old got tired and went back to sit on the boat after about 20 min in the water so we never felt rushed or like we were running out of time.

Archived