Help me pick stroller for Europe

scarlett81

I'm torn between 2 options. Either a britax b ready double stroller like this:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/390405377981?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

I like this b/c it holds both kids, its SO easy to turn, it will carry everything. It glides over bumpy surfaces like Hello!-Cobblestones! My daughter loves the lower seat-she'll climb in there and sleep for hours. Very nice at the end of the day. The downside is, its heavy. Its light for a double stroller, but heavy compared to an umbrella obviously. What makes it so heavy is the tires, but thats also what makes it a smoother ride.

OR Do I bring 2 light cheap umbrella strollers? My only concern with them is the bumps and cobblestones. We brought the kids to Quebec City and didn't feel like bringing the big stroller so just brought the cheap umbrella. It was a big regret. My little guys head was bouncing so bad, we couldn't put him in it. Of course, he's older now so maybe it won't matter as much??

My mil is a cruiser, but never been on Crystal before. She's a fan of the big ship cruising. She's very concerned that we will be miserable with the big stroller and that it won't fit anywhere on the ship, and that we'll be unhappy having to bring it on tender boats, etc.

Where will you be going in Europe? What will you be doing?

We lived in Italy for a few years when my boy was young. To go to any older sites- like Pompei, Paestum, old towns in Tuscany, etc., I used either our big stroller or a carrier. Umbrella strollers just didn't work.

However, we did use a cheapo umbrella stroller when we went to Paris and Vienna and managed just fine.

Where will you be going in Europe? What will you be doing?

We lived in Italy for a few years when my boy was young. To go to any older sites- like Pompei, Paestum, old towns in Tuscany, etc., I used either our big stroller or a carrier. Umbrella strollers just didn't work.

However, we did use a cheapo umbrella stroller when we went to Paris and Vienna and managed just fine.

THANKYOU!

Why do you feel the umbrella stroller didn't work for you in Italy?

We are going to Istanbul, Ephesus, Mykonos, Athens, Sicily (Taormina), Sorrento, Capri, Postiano, Rome, and Barcelona.

(I'm not worried about Barcelona or Istanbul bc they're pretty modern cities. I already know Capri, Positano and Rome very well, so can imagine what to expect. Having been to some of these places, I can imagine that an umbrella stroller would be awful hard with those uneven surfaces.

I think people that have never travled anywhere with stroller aged kids think a big stroller will just be hard to take anywhere-when actually it can make things easier.)

Whats the age gap? Any chance you could do single and buggy board?

I thought of it, but the only reason at this point for DD to have a stroller option is to sleep. When we're out for long days, she'll still sleep 2 hrs in her stroller. She's almost 5, but she's petite for her age. DS is almost a year and still naps 2x a day.

omg you have a napping 5 year old?!? You lucky thing!!!

Do they nap at the same time? If not I would go for buggy board/pushchair/sling option.

hahaha...funny enough she only naps when we're out! not at home, but hey i'll take whatever I can get.

I put DS in the sling often, so I'll probably do that on occasion for his nap.

Bring the heavier double stroller. You won't regret it. You would regret umbrella strollers when your kids can not comfortably nap and you struggle over rougher streets/sidewalks, etc. You could still bring the umbrella stroller for going around the ship if you want.

THANKYOU!

Why do you feel the umbrella stroller didn't work for you in Italy?

We are going to Istanbul, Ephesus, Mykonos, Athens, Sicily (Taormina), Sorrento, Capri, Postiano, Rome, and Barcelona.

(I'm not worried about Barcelona or Istanbul bc they're pretty modern cities. I already know Capri, Positano and Rome very well, so can imagine what to expect. Having been to some of these places, I can imagine that an umbrella stroller would be awful hard with those uneven surfaces.

I think people that have never travled anywhere with stroller aged kids think a big stroller will just be hard to take anywhere-when actually it can make things easier.)

I absolutely agree, except actually onboard the ship. A big stroller can be quite a challenge in the narrower passageways, crowded venues, elevators, and even in the smaller cabins (storage, etc. as strollers cannot be left in the passageways). Some parents bring both a larger "full service" stroller for ports and a super lightweight umbrella type for the ship.

beachchick

Yes, this seems to be the main opinion so thats what I'm going to do.

I contacted Crystal and sent them the dimensions of the stroller, they replied that it will be fine. Apparently their halls, doorways and areas are wider and less crowded than the big ships. But they also suggested bringing a light umbrella stroller for various excursions or when the big one won't be good.

Archived