luggage express

Has anyone done the luggage express option that carnival offers? If so how much did it cost and how did it work out?

We did it on the Freedom. It's $20 per person, but you have to sign up by their deadline. Make sure you do that. They won't budge.

On the last night of the cruise you will find special luggage tags and your airline boarding pass in your room. Put the tags on and sit your luggage outside your room before midnight. And whalah! The next time you see your luggage is when you arrive at your home airport.

They did have all the people that use the program gather in one location and you were all taken off the ship together. I'm not sure if that has changed at all and/or whether you really have to be there at the gathering or can just walk off the ship at any time.

Keep in mind to figure out the cost. We both did LE and it was $20 each and then $25 each for our bags on Delta. If only one of us did LE it would have been $20 for LE, $25 for the first bag and $35 for the second bag. This way would have saved us $10. Just something to think about. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Do you still have to check-in 24 hours prior, or does the cruise line do this? Also, at what point did you pay the airline's luggage fee?

We are trying to decide about purchasing internet minutes to check-in.

Thanks.

Shirley

I've done it on two cruises and NOT checked in with the airline advance. I had to turn in a copy of my itinerary (I brought extra printed copies). The fee was $20 but since I have FFP status, I didn't have to pay the checked bag fee. I did bring a copy of the airline's rules re FFP status and showed my FFP card to guest services so there was no confusion.

I really loved using it and will do so again. Less to keep track of the next morning and you get boarding passes for the airline with your luggage tags. Just show up at the airport and go through security!

I love it and use it everytime it's available.

As a PP said though be sure and have your paperwork filled out and given to guest services before the deadline which is like the next to the last day of the cruise.

Also, your flight time has to be after a certain time (they won't budge on that either). And for some strange reason, you aren't allowed to do a debarkation day shore excursion.

I had a southbeach excursion planned because my flight wasn't until after 4 out of FLL, but when I went to sign up for LE, they said I had to cancel it. And they were serious, I went back to my cabin to get my shore excursion tickets to go cancel and my phone was ringing and it was guest services telling me I HAD to immediately cancel my shore excursion before they would fully process my LE service.

Must have something to do with TSA and not being separated from your bags. I don't know how they would know though if I had a private day planned????????

Done it 3 times, works like a charm, best $20 I ever spent. Nice not to have to deal with that luggage until I get to my home airport.

we're considering trying it for upcoming cruise out of SJU. Was hoping it'd be less hassle lugging bags with required agriculture inspection:confused:but not sure since we've never flown thru that airport.

fyi, it also works if you're stopping off somewhere else before you head home, as we are for a few days after our cruise.

when i called CCL was told that we would need to sign up for it when we embark and that it doesn't have to booked in conjunction with CCL's transportation. Also told that we'd receive priority disembarkation. Now wondering if that means we'd have to leave when they tell us/earlier than I had planned. Guess i'll ask when we board.

We did it on our Alaska cruise last year and it was wonderful. Put those bags out the night before and didn't see them again until we got to Raleigh. Since we had connecting flights I was a little worried, but they were the first off the plane, which NEVER happens to us. Definitely worth the money.

Do you still have to check-in 24 hours prior, or does the cruise line do this? Also, at what point did you pay the airline's luggage fee?

We are trying to decide about purchasing internet minutes to check-in.

Thanks.

Shirley

The cruiseline handles it. Your boarding passes will be delivered to your room along with luggage tags.

We did it on our Alaska cruise last year and it was wonderful. Put those bags out the night before and didn't see them again until we got to Raleigh. Since we had connecting flights I was a little worried, but they were the first off the plane, which NEVER happens to us. Definitely worth the money.

Do you mind if I ask where your cruise departed from and returned to and what airport you flew in and out of?

We have used it before and loved it. Well worth the money. We wanted to use it on our upcomming Alaska cruise but we don't fly out until 11:00 pm and also wanted to do a post cruise excursion. Am I understanding now that it isn't possible to do both?

We were just in San Juan in February and they have discontinued luggage express there.

:( note that i spoke to CCL last week who said it was offered there, oh well, i guess word travels slow back to corporate.

Wow! This sounds great! Is this service for all cruises/airports or just a few? Does anyone know where I can get more info on this?

Thanks!

It varies from port to port and airline to airline. The flier that you get in your cabin midweek will have all the information regarding specifics on that ship and port.

You might try going to the roll call of a recent cruise on your same ship and see if anyone has current information that they will share. I know some of my roll calls have stayed active for weeks after we've returned.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived