Western Caribbean Itinerary - drowning

Be extra careful if you are heading to Belize this spring. They had some rough weather this week, and 2 tourists drowned on a Hol Chan Marine Reserve snorkeling tour.

http://ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/434866/1.html

Rough seas, strong currents, no life jackets and an outgoing tide made for a scary trip. We went to this same location in January and never even thought to ask about the currents. We were required to wear life jackets, as we floated over some pretty shallow coral formations. At the time I felt the life preservers took away from the snorkeling experience, as I love to dive down to get closer views of the coral. I won't complain next time.

On my last cruise, my husband and I went snorkeling in Bermuda at some shipwreck sites. It was a lot further from land vs. our last (and my first) snorkeling trip, which was near land and around coral. I underestimated how strong the currents would be and found myself often out of breath because I was trying to swim against the waves and trying not to get too far away from the group and my husband. I don't think I will ever snorkel in the middle of the ocean again. I was exhausted and as soon as I put my head down to look at the fish or shipwreck I'd be several feet further away from where I was.

Plus I felt really sick on the boat ride back because of how rough the sea was. I had a lot more fun when we were closer to land.

Archived