NCL's Kayaking Excursion on Grand Bahama Island

MicheMommy

Has anyone ever done the Lucayan National Park kayaking excursion that NCL offers? We're planning on doing this on our cruise in June and was wondering what to expect, if you liked it, how long it takes to get to the excursion from the port, etc.

PS - I asked on the Bahamas port board, but answers are not forthcoming, so I thought I'd ask here since I know a lot of people have sailed NCL to the Bahamas.

Thanks!

Well this is my take on that situation... I personally wouldnt usually go kayaking but I live by rivers and the oceans and could do it any time but that is my preference... It may be different for you.

As for Grand Bahama there really isnt too much to do there except for swim, shop, or eat... So if you are going to do it... that would be a great place.

My husband and I did this excursion in October and enjoyed it. It rained off and on all day, but they provide water proof bags, so that was not an issue. It took at least an hour to get out to the National Park. You took a bus from the ship to the tour operator location. You then got into smaller vans to travel to the National Park. Along the way the driver gave a history lesson on the Bahamas, the natives who lived there and other neat facts you probably do not know (many of which I cannot now remember!). Once at the park they gave you a bathroom break. However, "bathroom" is not quite correct: it is a very "natural" toilet, but you are in an enclosed room. Remember, it is a national park! Then, back in the vans to head out the end of the river. Kayaking takes about 90 minutes. The kayaks are not the best, but it was serene and neat. The guides set a relaxed pace. You can see lots of wild life as you travel. And, the mangrove swamps are like nothing we had seen before, so that was neat. And, although it rained off and on, we had bathing suites on, and the rain was warm, so it was not an issue at all. Once at the end of the kayaking, we had lunch. Lunch was sandwiches and lemonade. But, the lunch was served on the beach. After lunch, the skies cleared and we spent about an hour frolicking in the ocean. The water temperature was perfect and the tide was high, so we could travel out about 100 yards without any issues. The waves were perfect and we swam and body surfed and had a great time. Some people went further out than we did, but we enjoyed our spot. We then walked around the area with the guides. We also saw some of the caves which had been inhabited by the natives. The cave tours were neat: there was some stair climbing, including some spiral stairs. Also, the paths were not even. But, we wore water sneakers and had no issues. The it was back into the vans for the trip back to the boat. The driver talked some more about the island and his experiences on it. Overall it was a neat trip and something we would definitely do again!

Archived