Enchantment 3/31-4/7~ 1st time on RCI

We've been on 4 cruises now- 1 NCL 2 Carnival and now we've tried RCI. We had a great time. The staff was wonderful for the most part- especially where it counts most to us. Our room steward did a top notch job and was such a sweet woman to see around the halls daily. Our servers were wonderful as well. One gentlemen (our assistant waiter, Shellon) even insisted on cutting my daughter's steak when he saw me start to. The women at the coffee bar, Latte Tudes were always smiling and called us by name, as did many crew members.

Food was in my opinion average cruise fare. Nothing was horrible......except the coffee. Thank goodness they at least offer coffee for a price- what they serve for free is an insult to coffee lovers, sadly.

There were 900+ kids on board- including my 3 and I was never bothered. I am not sure thats true for all- but they all seemed happy and well entertained with each other if nothing else. My kids met other kids and just did what kids do- roam around, eat, hang out - always smiling when I saw them.

The comics were ok- the juggler was hysterical and a lot of fun. I usually avoid the deck parties like crazy but had an absolute blast at the one when we departed Nassau. Waking me at 8am after making me have a such a good time til 1am was a lil harsh- but I forgive them. Cococay I could take or leave- tendering is a process I will avoid in the future now that Ive done it a handful of times- Im sorely over it... but thats just me.

Ship lay out is in my opinion just what a ship should be. I loved the size and extremely sensible way it is laid out. Our room was mid ship 7th floor and I would absolutely stay just there every time... just perfect.

Chops was good- lovely service and atmosphere.. food very good- not over the top- but we were quite full and happy.

I find drink prices fair- tip included still a deal.

We did my time dining and had no hassles or problems getting a great table by the window every time. We tried the main dining room for breakfast and lunch for the first time and I highly recommend it and will do that more often now.

Climbed the rock wall once- never did bounce- these activities have way too little hours they are open. Not just because of weather- but daily, they just dont schedule much time with these fun things. Due to this we missed mini golf and basketball on this ship-but thats ok. They did have table tennis-but we never played.

The solarium is nice! But if its supposed to be kid free- that never happened. As I mentioned the kids were great and that just wasnt their favorite place to hang- so no bother by me personally.

Finding an open beverage bar would be my biggest peeve next to the atrocious coffee- there were a few times there was no lemon aide in stock anywhere and how they scheduled the meal and snack bar times were a little different than what Im used to. The first night quite a few passengers were looking for snacks around 9 and I was even told to use room service to get a drink?? Eventually the snack area in the solarium opened and the masses were happy again.

Speaking of masses- these were some of the most fun, nicest, greatest bunch of cruisers so far for us. People were chatty and friendly- I saw no hogging of seats anywhere and dress code was stuck to. I guess- I really dont pay that any mind- we dress up- we like to- many, many do also and quite well. Those that dont are few and far between and not offensive.

We had a blast and Id be happy to answer any questions. In closing I just want to mention we will be booking Carnival or NCL for our next cruise. Dont want to nit pick a great week but NCL's free style concept is something we truly appreciate and they dont call them the Fun Ships for nothing. We missed certain things both these companies provide so we want to return, but it in no way left us with a totally negative feeling towards RCI. We feel there is value in all the lines, and we're not sorry we tried RCI.

Glad to read you enjoyed Enchantment... We did the 12nighter at the end of Feb/March and there were only about 50 children... Complete opposite of your trip.

How were the activities geared toward regarding age ranges? On our trip it was water-coloring and scrap-booking followed by easy-listening music and ball-room dance lessons. Not really geared toward those under 40 or any children. The way your post reads, it seemed to be a very kid-friendly schedule of events. Did you stop by and see Luis at the Boleros bar? He overserved us a few nights on our sailing...

I was hoping my post reflected the fact we had a great time- though I am completely surprised that there was so little for the family to do - together or otherwise. My daughter and I made jewelry one afternoon, there was scrap booking another day and my husband and I did try the ballroom dance lessons and enjoyed the instructors very much- not cheesy, but fun and informative. A rock wall and those trampolines does not a fantastic cruise make! My kids even told the kids crew leaders the ship lacks for kids, and the crew agreed.

Personally I feel this is a ship where you need to make your own fun. We love wandering around bar to bar, space to space. We parked it in the library, different bars- including Bolaros and Spotlight and enjoyed each space for a while for what they offer. Some quiet, some good music, some chatty fellow cruisers.

Kids- like they often do found other kids. There were 2 HS bands on board- and my boys met some of them and they hung out together- all over the ship.

Im totally convinced there is no such thing as a bad cruise- but some are better than others. I said earlier we like the Fun Ships and I hold to that. They just are constant fun and we cant figure out for the life of us why they get a bad rap. We enjoyed Enchantment and sailing an hour from home- but I cant see booking her again which is too bad because departing from home is so nice!

*forgot to mention earlier- if anyone has thought of doing self disembarkation but hesitate and wonder if they should- DO IT! We walked out of our room-into the elevator and off the ship in about 20 minutes- BEST departure of our 4 cruises to date. If everyone can handle the luggage- just walk off and no waiting- cant be beat. We were home, unpacked and even had laundry DONE by noon. Loved it. Loved our trip and this crew and her passengers. Cant wait to start planning our next cruise. Not sure from where or to where- but we are hooked on the experience thats for sure.

Glad you had a great time. We are sailing on May 25. Any secrets or bits of other information you want to share?

I thought about your question and a few points came to mind that I would change or tweek if I had a do-over week.

They throw a huge deck party when leaving the 2nd port. We were out til 1am, not asleep before 2). 8am sharp they announce the arrival in the next port- we were SO TIRED. Get your tender ticket anyway! We waited til open tender- and I will now NEVER tender again if I can help it- our experience was so lame I am just over it. Too much hurry up and wait. Get off early or skip the port is what I would do. (cococay- too tourist-y for me anyway- not pretty- not the best) Of course this is my opinion on this port and tendering - there could be a ton of ppl who totally disagree and have better advice how to navigate this situation.

I dont like schedules on vacation. One day I might eat breakfast at 11 the next at 9 the next at noon. There is NO breakfast after 11 or 1130 and the cococay day- it stops at 930- lame. Keep that in mind.

We made reservations for Chops at 8pm to find the shows were at 7 and 845- so we moved our rez to 815 so we could go to the 7pm show. Not knowing what the days will hold but needing that rez is kinda annoying to me- since as I said I hate schedules but show times are needed and I understand the need for a rez in a busy steak house.

The dining room serves nothing amazing on either formal night and I personally dont think you will miss much going to Chops those nights. If you want you can pay $35 for a great meal in the dining room. Some people hate that feature- some enjoy it. I skip it- eat what they have and enjoy the service 10x more than the food. Try the beautiful salad bar for lunch in the main dining room- a wonderful change from the buffet.

Dont wait to make your rez for Chops- they do book up- friends we met couldnt get in on the last 2 sea days (one of which is formal night) so make em and break em if need be (advance notice needed to avoid a $10 charge).

Watch your towels- someone stole one of ours on Cococay- rude to say the least.

Check you schedules for drink specials and go to the art auctions for a ridiculous amount of free champagne. 2 for 1 drinks specials happen here or there and you have to chase these deals- fun for some- pointless for others. I can see making a game out of it- but Im not a big drinker- so I just grab what little I drink anywhere I please and enjoy as is.

Pick shore experiences now if you can- they do book up if you chose a ship sponsored tour. Dont worry about having nothing to do on Nassau tho- they (locals) are ready and able to take you to the beach, parasailing, snorkeling and a host of other fun water activities- if you dont mind dealing with the very friendly locals.

I believe its very personal what one finds fun to do on the ship as well as on shore. I also believe more so on RCI than other ships its up to you to find your fun. A lot of the crew seemed ill prepared and/or uniformed about things (no lighter or clipper for cigars the first night in the viking lounge- odd - but not a cruise killer by any means) "where can I get a drink of lemon aide or tea" when it was around 9pm was once answered by a bartender with "call room service I guess" HUH? Let things like that go- and laugh it off and fix your own troubles is my motto on the ship.

I had an upset stomach one night-(not sea sick) my husband asked 2 different people for crackers in the snack area of the solarium. "we dont have any" was the answer twice. When my husband asked to see their manager he arrived with crackers and apologies. We're easy- no apology needed- but getting your crew caught up on things would be nice.

I feel this post is somewhat negative and I want to stress on a scale of 1-10 I give my cruise a 20+- We had a blast. Nothing is perfect, not even a 7 day cruise. Enjoy- explore- experiment and you will have the time of your life on the Enchantment of the Seas. Shes in fine shape, has a great friendly captain and crew and is a good time waiting to happen. Hope these tips and insights can help someone out there.

Disapointed to hear that you thought the MDR food was just average and nothing special. A fine meal in the MDR has always been a highlight of cruising for me. Guess I better make more Chops reservations. Do you think that is what RCCL is aiming for? Lower the quality of food that is included in the price to drive up the number of passengers who pay extra to get a good meal???

I forget the exact type of balcony room- but we were cabin 7124- balcony- regular size cabin best I can tell- smallest Ive seen so far- but did the job. 3 people and their stuff fit nicely. Very little room to move, especially when the sofa is made into a bed.

Yes, I think cruise lines in general want you to pay for better food. Coffee I swear is a scam on this ship. No free coffee- ever- anywhere was even close to decent. The first day there was no half and half- only non dairy crud (sorry- I just cant do non dairy) So I did buy a lot of coffee at their coffee bar. Chops was very good- but not over the top great.

We never had a bad meal- but I find all cruise food about the same quality- quite eatable but nothing fabulous or something to rave about. Escargot was yummy. Cold soups are always fun to try and were good. Salads were crisp and fresh. Sauces are always just kinda blah to me- again nothing special.

We were never disappointed or left hungry. I wont get into comparisons because the bottom line is food is so very subjective.

There was a thread on here today about perfect length of cruise- I cant imagine more than 7 days of cruise food- its quite possibly the one reason I am in no giant hurry to do a 9, 12 or longer cruise. Maybe that tells you something about me and the food.

I still promise you wont ever go hungry and will most likely find lots of choices you will enjoy very much.

Thanks for the info. We are doing a bermuda cruise so that is our only port...can stay up and out late and no hurry to get up or we can stay out off the ship all night.

did they have drink specials? What kind of cabin were you in?

Yes they had drink specials- they are in your cruise compass- look for the different bars doing different specials through out the day. Also certain activities came with specials- like 2 for 1 blood marys with bingo and things like that. Just got to check the compass and high light what you want to find. Great ship lay out- would make bar crawling fun in order to find drink specials.

Yes they had drink specials- they are in your cruise compass- look for the different bars doing different specials through out the day. Also certain activities came with specials- like 2 for 1 blood marys with bingo and things like that. Just got to check the compass and high light what you want to find. Great ship lay out- would make bar crawling fun in order to find drink specials.

If I am not mistaken... I do believe the VikingCrown lounge had 2-1's daily from 3p-4p... It would change daily also... Margarita's one day, Vodka drinks the next... Bloody's... and so on.

Not a big coffee drinker. One large cup in the morning is all I need so I can send DH to the pay for coffee place. DH will not be happy. He drinks the stuff all day long. However, I also HAVE to have cream. No powdered stuff for me.

If you ever have a chance to go up to a luxury cruise line (maybe when the kids are grown and gone) I can assure you that the food in the MDR on Seabourn is as good or better as anything I have ever had at some very, very fine restaurants.

Archived