Day Trip Train to Whistler From N.Vancouver

We love trains almost as much as cruising so are looking at doing the all day round trip between N. Vancouver and Whistler the day before our cruise at the end of September. It's expensive, but our other choice, the Alberta>Vancouver run, costs much more. The online schedule is showing regular service (looks like large picture windows) through Sept. 26, but the Dome Car service only through Aug. 24. Does anyone know if they discontinue the Dome Cars after that date or do they just delay opening up reservations? Would love to hear comments from anyone who's done this trip, good or bad!

We love trains almost as much as cruising so are looking at doing the all day round trip between N. Vancouver and Whistler the day before our cruise at the end of September. It's expensive, but our other choice, the Alberta>Vancouver run, costs much more. The online schedule is showing regular service (looks like large picture windows) through Sept. 26, but the Dome Car service only through Aug. 24. Does anyone know if they discontinue the Dome Cars after that date or do they just delay opening up reservations? Would love to hear comments from anyone who's done this trip, good or bad!

Hi - I am a TA in Vancouver that just had Rocky Mountaineer come in and talk to us this week! :) The dome car does stop Aug. 24th, yes, as once they get into Sept, things start to shut down for the season.

The scenery is amazing. I have done this run up to Squamish and back, but not all the way to Whistler. You have time to poke around the Village before you head back for the return journey. You will not regret it!

The Rocky Mountaineer is a luxury product, and thus the pricing is high.

Thanks for the timely information - I think we'll go ahead and book the trip. Now all we need is a guarantee of a sunny day!

Good luck with that! ;) I live about 10 minutes from the train station in North Van. :)

We took the Whistler Mountaineer trip in early June 2011 before our cruise to Alaska and it was a highlight of our holiday. We were able to book the dome car and the service was terrific...crew worked constantly to feed and entertain us. The weather was perfect that day and the scenery spectular. It was expensive but we through worth every penny. Their shuttle picked us up at our hotel (Fairmont Waterfront) right on time and very organized. Hot breakfast was served in the morning and afternoon tea on the return trip along with drinks/cocktails. Once underway we were offered the opportunity to sign up for an excursion in Whistler. My husband did the float plane tour and I did the walking tour (only passenger with the guide). Both were worthwhile. There is a good museum of indigenous people worth visiting (part of walking tour). Not much to do in village - see Olympic rings, few shops and restaurants. Really a delightful day!!

Archived