packing for toddler - potty seat and folding step stool?

NJfoodie

I know little ones don't really pack light to begin with and I'm trying not to overpack for 3 yr old DS but I'm not sure how to best handle this. He's newly potty trained and certainly can't reach the toilet or sink without help. At home and at daycare, he's used to being able to do things independently with a step stool in the bathroom which he pushes to wherever he needs it, though he is supervised. He hates having to be held over the sink when we're out normally in a public restroom. Has anyone ever brought a step stool or potty/potty seat for their toddler? I was thinking of a folding one like this -

http://img1.targetimg1.com/wcsstore/TargetSAS//img/p/12/87/12873697.jpg

and we already have a folding potette plus which goes with us everywhere for the toilet seat or as a portable potty. Part of me is saying it's a week, he'll deal without. Part of me is saying this is something we'd be dealing with 10-12 times/day since we go through this routine almost hourly when at home and I'll want to shoot myself on sea days.

We brought a folding step stool and pot seat on our second cruise, because we were sick of the daily battles over being held over the sink and being lifted up for the toilet :). We have similar equipment, which was fairly easy to pack and was used multiple times a day on the ship. DS2 was 3 yrs on our first cruise, he still needed the step stool at 4yrs since the sinks are so high.

So I for one don't consider this overpacking, rather I look at it as a way to make the vacation more relaxing! Don't forget some Lysol wipes, you'll want to wipe everything down before it goes back into your suitcase.

I love the Potette also for port days. Since little ones often don't give much notice to find a potty, the potette has been wonderful to have so we don't have to race to find a clean bathroom in a strange place.

I also packed a plastic step stool at that age so they could reach the sink.

Best,

Mia

I love the Potette also for port days. Since little ones often don't give much notice to find a potty' date=' the potette has been wonderful to have so we don't have to race to find a clean bathroom in a strange place.

I also packed a plastic step stool at that age so they could reach the sink.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

We keep the potette, a supply of bags/liners, and a pack of lysol wipes in the diaper bag so it goes everywhere. We've done many a potty stop w/ the potette set up on the tailgate of the car while in a parking lot. Thankfully, my 3 yr old has no shame about dropping trow and doing his business in the appropriate seat wherever. I expect it will get plenty of use off-ship.

Thank you for the reassurance that I'm not insane for thinking about packing a step stool. With all the stuff we end up bringing for DS, thank god we can drive to our port!

Thank you for the reassurance that I'm not insane for thinking about packing a step stool. With all the stuff we end up bringing for DS, thank god we can drive to our port!

He he he, we have flown with all this stuff, so you should be fine!

Ironically, we are driving to our next cruise (10 hrs), and both boys should be in booster seats, without the need for potty seats or a step stool. Maybe we did our cruises in the wrong order :rolleyes:

The last cruise we took involved a full size potty topper. Next time I'm taking the folding one. It isn't the most comfortable looking but my son will have to sacrifice. The big one was a pain to try to keep contained in a plastic bag in a backpack through airports etc. I originally planned to take a folding step stool, but it didn't end up getting packed. Next time the folding step stool will be a must have item. I've seen very inexpensive folding ones in super small sizes at the junk bin section of target and some other random stores in my area. I'm currently on the lookout for one since I've yet to purchase one.

Archived