Balcony Design Question

golfb4cruzing

I called my rep with this question but she is on vacation and another young lady had no answers. She is sending a form in order to write a post cruise letter. So I'm coming to the experts for a quicker answer. We were in L202 on the Ruby and expected the usual accomodating balcony. What we got was a balcony with a steel plate instead of the normal see through style. Is this a ship structural integrity design and how many are there for future booking purposes?

Thanks in advance for the usual quick responses.

Not sure what you mean by a steel plate vs see through?? Do you mean the normally blue tinted glass on the balcony was a steel plate? If so, did you check the balconies beside you - were they steel as well? Have never seen it.

L202 on the Ruby is port side and the first balcony cabin. In front is a suite. Immediately to the left is another balcony cabin with the normal viewing style glass. The suite also had the steel style so I am wondering if it is designed this way because of being at the front of the ship. This does not qualify as a balcony to me.

p3250002k.jpg

Nope.. have never seen it and it certainly should be advertised as such when you book. I'd be totally PO'd had I got that - especially since it's advertised as a BA. What I have seen though is a "Partially Obstructed" balcony. Never knew what they meant - could this have been that??

It could be designed like that for the wind at the front, but you should have been given advance notice if so.

From what I can see from photos and videos of the ship, there are only 2 cabins like this on the entire ship. One on each side, L201 and L202. They are the very forward most standard balcony cabins on the Lido deck. In the past they have been designated as BA rated balcony cabins. With the new rating system, the 11 forward most balcony cabins on either side of the Lido deck are now rated BF. The remaining 10 on each side are BC. The two front corner suites also have the same plate below the railings But they are rated as S5 with the new ratings which I suspect is a low rated suite.

What I have seen though is a "Partially Obstructed" balcony. Never knew what they meant - could this have been that??

On the Royal it says that a "partially obstructed" balcony is a solid steel railing like the OP experienced. My TA said it's a common description on all cruise lines for steel railings to be described as a "partially obstructed" view balcony. If the OPs cabin didn't add this caution to the cabin's descriprion then Princess was wrong & needs to add "partially obstructed" view to such cabins.:rolleyes:

On the Royal it says that a "partially obstructed" balcony is a solid steel railing like the OP experienced. My TA said it's a common description on all cruise lines for steel railings to be described as a "partially obstructed" view balcony. If the OPs cabin didn't add this caution to the cabin's descriprion then Princess was wrong & needs to add "partially obstructed" view to such cabins.:rolleyes:

As I suspected... thanks Astro.

The princess website doesn't rate L202 as any differently to the cabins next to it. Very strange.

Here is what the Princess website says about views on the Ruby Princess:

"Stateroom views are considered unobstructed unless noted otherwise. Obstructions do not include certain nautical items like handrails, dividers or ship hardware. For balcony staterooms, the view is determined from the perspective of the balcony railing. Balconies may have either solid steel or toughened glass railings."

Sounds to me like they state that your balcony railing may be solid steel and that is not an obstructed view because your "view" starts at the balcony railing.

Here is what the Princess website says about views on the Ruby Princess:

"Stateroom views are considered unobstructed unless noted otherwise. Obstructions do not include certain nautical items like handrails, dividers or ship hardware. For balcony staterooms, the view is determined from the perspective of the balcony railing. Balconies may have either solid steel or toughened glass railings."

Sounds to me like they state that your balcony railing may be solid steel and that is not an obstructed view because your "view" starts at the balcony railing.

Easy out for Princess.... they should still note if it's 'obstructed' or not, and not charge the same as 'unobstructed'. Nobody should have to think they would have to stand up to see out from their balcony. Seems like they got it right on the Royal.

golfb4cruzing

you should put this on the "don't book these rooms" thread on "Cabin selection tips" under new to cruising at the top of the forum.

I think people should know about this balcony before they book it and I can't find it differentiated anywhere. Although Princess does cover themselves with the quote above.

And, to be frank, your TA should have known about this...

I don't know that they do. I rang Princess about the direction the bad was in a cabin we were looking at and they didn't know! I had to get the info off this board. What would we do without cruise critic? :):):)

Thanks Paddingtonbear for the suggestion.

I feel so sorry for you. Of all the questions to ask about a balcony you had to think this one up? I never imagined a balcony with a solid balustrade would exist that wasn't somehow marked on the deck plans. Thank you so much for the heads up but I am sorry you missed a clear view on your trip. :)

Where does it say this?? I hope this is true as I have booked a partially obstructed balcony on the Royal and was wondering what it meant:o

Archived