Taormina Beaches

scarlett81

We are stopping in Taormina during our Grand Med tour in early May. I know the weather may be iffy, but its a nice day we'd really like to see the beaches here.

Anyone have a suggestion on which beaches are easiest to get to. We are with Crystal, and it doesn't say anything about docking anywhere other than Taormina. (I know some ships dock at other ports nearby)

At this point on our cruise we're probably going to be 'ruined out', after seeing Athens and Ephesus. I'm thinking this would be a good day to take it slow, for us and the kids, to just enjoy a quieter day. But I hate to miss out on the historical things, if they are nearby.

I'm also trying to figure out how we'll get around, with a party of 6. Should we go with the ship's shuttle, try to get a cab big enough the day of, or pre-arrange a car?

We are stopping in Taormina during our Grand Med tour in early May. I know the weather may be iffy, but its a nice day we'd really like to see the beaches here... I'm thinking this would be a good day to take it slow, for us and the kids, to just enjoy a quieter day. But I hate to miss out on the historical things, if they are nearby.

We took a land trip to Sicily and stayed for more than a week in Taormina, in a hotel about two blocks above the main pedestrian street of the town. One day, we went to Isola Bella beach. I know we took the cable car down to water level and walked across the street to the hotel. We had to pay for the use of the hotel's beach chairs etc. Unfortunately, I don't recall the name of the hotel. (Note: Railroad tracks run between the hotel proper and the beach. This hotel had constructed an underground tunnel to safely access the beach. Googling just now, the names of Panormic Hotel and Mendolia Beach Hotel both say they're located 100 meters from the seaside end of the funicular, but neither name is ringing a bell.)

How will you/your kids feel about beaches with no sand only rocks? That's an important question you need to answer before you get too heavily involved planning a day at the beach! The web sites euphemistically describe Isola Bella beaches as having pebbles. I wouldn't call those things pebbles. I'd call them rocks.

Do not even consider going to the beach unless you bring water shoes. The dark rocks absorb the strong Mediterranean sun and make walking truly painful. The beach where we stayed had a network of wood paths over much of the beach -- and set out lounge chairs along those paths -- but the beach closest to the water has no paths. YOu'll just be walking on hot dark rocks.

We didn't know about the hot rocks so we only wore conventional athletic shoes/trainers to the beach. Trying to create a bit of protection between our skin and the hot rocks, we went into the water wearing our thick athletic socks. When we came out of the water, we felt comfortable at first. However, our socks were fully dry by the time we got only 3/4 of the way back to our lounges. The last part of the walk was pure pain. When I couldn't take the heat anymore, I collapsed on the closest lounge. Fortunately, it belonged to someone in our group.

A visit to Taormina itself is a pleasant relaxed day, although may be more appealing to adults than to kids. There is one historic site: a Grecco-Roman theater. Once you're done seeing that, the only thing left to do is to stroll the pedestrian street of the town, taking beautiful panoramic views from the piazza, shopping, and eating Sicilian pastries, gelato, piazza, and drinking limoncello. Recommendation: The entire length of the pedestrian street isn't a completely straight shot. At one point the street jogs to the right (heading towards the historic theater). There's a granita vendor who set up at that corner when we visit that served the best granita I've ever tasted. He scoops out a portion of crushed ice and then, the buyer picks the flavor syrup he/she wants. Both my husband and I always ordered lemon. Absolutely amazing stuff!

Thanks-awesome post!

Yes, we're used to the European rock beaches..not the best for kids, but I think they'll be happy to be seeing any type of outdoorsy place they can run around in at this point on the cruise. My daughter likes finding 'diamond' rocks, looking for seaglass, ect. We're all bringing our water shoes.

Your info on what to do in Taormina was really helpful. Its hard to try and figure just how much there is to do there. The travel books call it a must see on the italy tour, but they don't say exactly how much there is to do, other than the theater ruin.

We won't be missing that granita stand...my daughter is determined to try it in each port! :)

We stayed in Taormina a few years ago and agree with everything ksps cruise fan said about the beach. I think the hotel near the underground tunnel may be the Mazzaro Sea Palace. However, Taormina town itself is a delightful place to stroll around - superb Grecco Roman Theatre, a lovely park, tempting cafes and beautiful views of Etna everywhere.

We won't be missing that granita stand...my daughter is determined to try it in each port! :)

I think that you've confused granita and gelato. Gelato is the Italian version of ice cream and you'll find it in every Italian port. Granita is what many call Italian ices, although the version I see for sale in the US isn't really the same as the the real granita in Italy. Perhaps, Hawaiian shave ice comes close to Italian granita.

You'll find granita in southern Italian ports like Naples, Salerno, and, especially, the Sicilian ports.

I enthusiastically applaud your daughter's gelato goal. This seems to be an appropriate time to once again share a real life conversation I overheard on the Corso Vittorio Emanuele on Rome.

Wife: What do you want for breakfast?

Husband: Gelato.

Wife: But it's breakfast.

Husband: I know, but it's our last day in Rome. I'm going to eat gelato at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And if I'm in the mood, I'm going to eat gelato in between meals, too.

Taormina town itself is a delightful place to stroll around - superb Grecco Roman Theatre, a lovely park, tempting cafes and beautiful views of Etna everywhere.

We were lucky enough to be in Taormina during a modest lava flow. (The lava began about two days after our trip up Mt. Etna. Later that summer, the lava flow would consume the small cafe high up on the slopes) At night, we could easily see the glowing streaks of red lava snaking their way down the volcano.

Cruisers, if your in-port time includes after-dark hours, please go out on deck and check out Mt. Etna at night. If lava is flowing, you'll be able to see it glowing in the night from both Catania and Giardini Naxos. (I don't know about the distance from Messina.) Binoculars are better, but you'll be able to see with the naked eye even at those distances.

If your ship stops at Taormina that means you will be tendering into Naxos. There is a very nice sandy beach just as you get off the tender. We took the ship shuttle up to Taormina in the morning then walked along the beach in the afternoon. Here is a link to my pictures so you will have an idea of what you will see in Taormina. The last few pictures are of the beach at Naxos.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=1e98e90214e77bf9#cid=1E98E90214E77BF9&id=1E98E90214E77BF9%211924

Thanks for the great replies, esp re the night time lava! Keep that in mind.

ksps-No, we're talking about granita here! Ever since she was really little I've told her about mommy's favorite granita stand in Positano. She's also excited about gelato, bc she read the "Olivia" books, about the pig who travels, goes to Venice and eats gelato for bkfts, lunch, dinner and in between.

We've got priorities here!

Archived