shopping prices in ports

NoobCruise

I'm curious what peoples experiences are in various ports with shopping and negotiating prices? We're looking into a caribbean cruise but haven't decided whether to do eastern, southern or western. In the foreign ports, do you find when coming off the cruise ships that prices are fixed or can you negotiate a lower price?

I ask because we stayed at an AI in Cozumel a few years go and found that prices were very different depending on which day you went to town and how many cruise ships were in port. The resort told us to stay away from shopping on certain days because more cruise ships would be in town and prices would be higher. They stressed to us to be sure we told the shop keepers we were staying on the island at the AI to get the lower prices. We did go in to town on a cruise ship day and found they would tell us one price but when we showed them our wrist bands from the AI, they would immediately smile and lower the price.

Does this happen in most cruise ports?

Unless you're buying locally made items there's really no exceptional must have purchases in the Carribbean. Jewely, watches, electronics and designer handbags and other designer items really aren't a deal. They can be purchased back home at equal or better prices and you also have a local retailer to deal with if there's any problems. So you need to your research before you plan on purchasing any of these items.

Also the stores that the ship's shore excursion/shopping recommends don't offer the deals you're made to believe by the cruiseline. In fact the first thing the sales person will ask is what ship you're on and your cabin number before they'll even quote a price. Reason being the the cruiseline's shore excursion/shopping director gets a % of you sale for having recommended the store. You are much better off not to have anything that identifies you as a cruise passenger to avoid paying an inflated cost. The hour before the required on baord time, I've actually seen the ship's shore shopping director running from store to store to collect their kick back.

My brother and his family were staying at a resort on one of the islands and were standing reading the breakfast menu in one of the restaurants . When to their surprise the manager suddenly pulled the menu from the window and replaced it with one with higher prices. My brother turned to look out to the ocean and saw 2 cruise ships heading into port. Thus the reason the prices changed. Moral of story buyer beware.

Archived