Snorkling From The Beach

Robpuffdaddy

I have seen pictures of the beach and the area that is roped off to swin in near the dock. I also have seen the pictures that the 'Wall" is near there also. My question is can I put my snorkle gear on and swim out to where the "'Wall" is or do I have to tak an excursion? Basically, can you swim out to the wall from the beach?

I have seen pictures of the beach and the area that is roped off to swin in near the dock. I also have seen the pictures that the 'Wall" is near there also. My question is can I put my snorkle gear on and swim out to where the "'Wall" is or do I have to tak an excursion? Basically, can you swim out to the wall from the beach?

When you are talking about the ocean, "Near" is a relative term. I highly recommend you do NOT try swimming out to the wall on your own. At the closer end of things, it is probably 400-500 yards off shore. That is a pretty long swim, just to get there, never mind the effort to swim around and dive once you are out there. Then you still have to swim back again. Once you get out where the water is over your head, it is that way all the way. There is no where to stop and rest. Spend the money for an excursion, you life is worth considerably more than the cost of an excursion or charter.

When you are talking about the ocean, "Near" is a relative term. I highly recommend you do NOT try swimming out to the wall on your own. At the closer end of things, it is probably 400-500 yards off shore. That is a pretty long swim, just to get there, never mind the effort to swim around and dive once you are out there. Then you still have to swim back again. Once you get out where the water is over your head, it is that way all the way. There is no where to stop and rest. Spend the money for an excursion, you life is worth considerably more than the cost of an excursion or charter.

I saw you had been on the Ultimate Snorkle excursion, does it take you by the wall? And I have to ask, what camera do you use for you underwater pictures? They are great.

Yes, you can swim out from the beach, they do not require you to take an excursion. HOWEVER, it is further than it looks in the pictures...keep that in mind in making your decision. I have never seen anyone go that far out from the beach.

I saw you had been on the Ultimate Snorkle excursion, does it take you by the wall? And I have to ask, what camera do you use for you underwater pictures? They are great.

Yes, "Ultimate Snorkel" does go to the wall.

As for my camera, it is an Olympus Stylus Tough 8010, which I bought in 2010, and Olympus now longer makes. Their current equivalent is the TG-810 (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...?section=tough). It is a nice series of cameras, but I will caution anyone considering buying these cameras to spend the extra $ for the 810. Besides allowing you to go deeper (33' vs 10') they do have 1 safety feature I really like. The 810 has a 2 separate latch system for the access port. The other cameras have only a 2 position single latch. If you look at the 360 degree view, on the 810, you can see a circular dial in the middle of the side. This is a stiff pivot type latch. Above it, is a sliding latch that will not slide unless you first twist the pivot latch. You cannot open this underwater by accident. The 310, 320 and 610 (not sure about the 820), have a single, 2 direction latch. You slide is sideways, then down. This can be opened by accident. When we were at Grand Turk last summer, a guy on our excursion to Gibbs Key had a 310, and that happened to him. He said it was the 2nd 310 he owned, the first one meeting the same fate, opening by accident, underwater. If you do go with the less expensive model, get a roll of duct tape and put a piece over the latch before you go in the water, that will prevent accidental opening.

I have just recently returned from snorkeling the "wall" and I don't recommend it. You simply see "blue" and nothing else. Fish are very hard to see. I think that it would be so much better to dive the wall.

I've been to the wall twice, and never found it lacking for fish. As for seeing only blue, this I do not understand. There is a bottom about 30' down, that is covered with all kinds and shapes of coral formations, and inhabited by a considerable number of fish. Perhaps you were there on a strange water day. All that being said, I will add that both my trips there, were in July, not April. Perhaps there is a seasonal migration that effects the fish population. That I don't know, you'd have to check with the locals. As for the bottom, I will add that if you snorkel, and stay on the surface, it will be less impressive, particularly if the water is a bit cloudy and/or there are no fish. If you are able to swim down to the bottom, which I do, there is still plenty to see.

I would have loved to have dove the wall. I did not see see that much snorkeling that day. After snorkeling Roatan and Cozumel, snorkeling Grand Turk was not what I expected. I will say that the day was overcast, and the surf was a little choppy. It was just not meant to be for me that day.

Archived