Help please! :)

Mommyof3boys

I need help from all you experts.

DH have decided that we are going to rent a car when we tender in Cannes. I would like to have lunch in Eze visit Nice and St Paul de Vence. Not sure which order I should go in and what the top things to do at each would be. We tender at 8am and leave at 7. Is that even enough time to visit those 3 places? any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreaciated.

Sure--it's doable. I might suggest you drive to Eze first and spend an hour or two exploring (incredible views from the Exotic Garden at the top). I wouldn't have lunch there, as the few restaurants are totally tourist-oriented and overpriced. One idea, though, would be to pick up picnic supplies (including wine in neat little single serving bottles!) at the small grocery store by the main road, just west of the old town, and have lunch while sitting on the low wall, with great views of Eze and all the way down to the water (if it's clear).

Or--continue on to Nice (1/2 hour drive) and park near the Coeur Salyea (market, old town)(there's an underground parking lot there--very tight, though), and have lunch at one of the little places there--great atmosphere. Be careful driving in Nice--busy, a little crazy, but doable, and well-signposted.

Do St. Paul de Vence in the afternoon, and then you have about a half-hour or so drive back to Cannes.

Enjoy your day!

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...
Sure--it's doable. I might suggest you drive to Eze first and spend an hour or two exploring (incredible views from the Exotic Garden at the top). I wouldn't have lunch there, as the few restaurants are totally tourist-oriented and overpriced. One idea, though, would be to pick up picnic supplies (including wine in neat little single serving bottles!) at the small grocery store by the main road, just west of the old town, and have lunch while sitting on the low wall, with great views of Eze and all the way down to the water (if it's clear).

Or--continue on to Nice (1/2 hour drive) and park near the Coeur Salyea (market, old town)(there's an underground parking lot there--very tight, though), and have lunch at one of the little places there--great atmosphere. Be careful driving in Nice--busy, a little crazy, but doable, and well-signposted.

Do St. Paul de Vence in the afternoon, and then you have about a half-hour or so drive back to Cannes.

Enjoy your day!

Kevin

Thanks soo much Kevin!

I had originally booked a lunch reservation at Chateau Eza but am now second guessing it. It is our anniversary so I do want a nicer meal. Any restaurant recommendations for Nice?

This of course is my opinion only, and while I agree that Eze itself is touristy, I think there are some good restaurants. I would say the Chateau Eza is a nice place, especially for lunch. They have one Michelin star, the food is deserving of the star.

I also like the Chateau de la Chevre d'Or,(two Michelin stars and higher prices to reflect that!) and if you're ever there in the evening the Hostellerie Jérome down the road in La Turbie. Only open for dinner unfortunately, but very lovely.

Have a wonderful time!

Well now....I must admit that I had both not noticed that this was your '10th anniversary' cruise (congrats), and that I had made assumptions based on your handle ("Mommyof3boys")...as in, I assumed that you were cruising with your 3 boys. :o

Now, assuming you are travelling with your DH, and are looking for something a bit special, I would defer to Nigella, and would second her knowledgeable recommendations---after perusing the menus of both, my mouth is absolutely watering!:p

My 'overpriced and touristy' coments were based on a couple of restaurants at the base of the village, whose names I forget...the ones who cram in the bus tours at lunch.

One of France's endearing features is its fantastic restaurants situated in the most amazing, picturesque locations....like Eze.

Enjoy your day!:)

Well now....I must admit that I had both not noticed that this was your '10th anniversary' cruise (congrats), and that I had made assumptions based on your handle ("Mommyof3boys")...as in, I assumed that you were cruising with your 3 boys. :o

Now, assuming you are travelling with your DH, and are looking for something a bit special, I would defer to Nigella, and would second her knowledgeable recommendations---after perusing the menus of both, my mouth is absolutely watering!:p

My 'overpriced and touristy' coments were based on a couple of restaurants at the base of the village, whose names I forget...the ones who cram in the bus tours at lunch.

One of France's endearing features is its fantastic restaurants situated in the most amazing, picturesque locations....like Eze.

Enjoy your day!:)

Thanks. This will be a kid free vacation....our first:eek:

Thank you both... I honk I will keep the reservation.

It's just few days now until your cruise so I do wish you a wonderful time.

numbersix, my parents in law have a house in the region so I know it quite well. I agree that the restaurants in the village are tourist traps, it's such a pity that people, especially those who don't have much time to see the area, leave the village with a poor view because of those places. Your comments about the menus tell me that you enjoy good food, if you're ever in the area again, I highly recommend all three of those places for you. :)

It's just few days now until your cruise so I do wish you a wonderful time.

numbersix, my parents in law have a house in the region so I know it quite well. I agree that the restaurants in the village are tourist traps, it's such a pity that people, especially those who don't have much time to see the area, leave the village with a poor view because of those places. Your comments about the menus tell me that you enjoy good food, if you're ever in the area again, I highly recommend all three of those places for you. :)

Thanks Nigella. One week from tomorrow and we will be the area celebrating our anniversary:)

Thanks, Nigella--Though it probably won't be until next year at the earliest, I'm already looking forward to sampling as many of those places as I can!

Mommyof3boys--Je vous souhaite bon voyage, et bon appetit! Bon anniversaire de mariage!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update.

We rented the car and headed straight to Eze. Unfortunately it took us a bit longer then expected to find Europcar. We got to Eze just in time for our reservation. The food was very good and the service impeccable. Unfortunately, it was overcast and the views were not the greatest. Also, the lunch took alot longer then expected so we didn't have time to go anywhere else.

All in all it was a great day. Thanks for your opinions and suggestions.

Just wanted to update.

We rented the car and headed straight to Eze. Unfortunately it took us a bit longer then expected to find Europcar. We got to Eze just in time for our reservation. The food was very good and the service impeccable. Unfortunately, it was overcast and the views were not the greatest. Also, the lunch took alot longer then expected so we didn't have time to go anywhere else.

All in all it was a great day. Thanks for your opinions and suggestions.

Glad you had a good lunch -- Looking forward to your trip report! :)

Archived