RCCI Veterans....help me love cruising again

Thinking about planning another cruise at some point in the future, but last several cruises have been duds. Really love cruising (as you can see in my signature, we have been on 12 cruises), but hate paying out the nose and not having a very good time overall. Just some demographics: we are a couple in late 30s/mid 40s and have a child in elementary school.

We have sailed mainly RCCI, followed by Celebrity (we loved one and the other was ok), Carnival (loved both) and Holland America (never again). Our favorite ship is the Jewel of the Seas. I don't think anything can compare to that experience. It was flawless, if I remember correctly. We loved everything about it (her stunning beauty, all the glass, the great service and food, comfort, etc., it was just perfect for us). Last RCCI cruise for us was on the Freedom of the Seas. I felt like i was at Walmart. Food was mediocre at best, lots of people around always and the morale of the crew was seriously down. Our room steward informed us of all the cutbacks and they were quite obvious.

So going forward, is the Radiance Class ship that we are looking for? I don't know. Willing to sail Enchantment for the third time, but hesitant. Was one of our favorites years ago. We went on her again after the stretch and it was awful (technical problems with ship, something about fuel lines if I recall, frantic crew, etc.). So, I'm not sure if a mega ship would be the answer. We prefer quality over quantity and elegance over bells and whistles. Combined with all of that, relaxing on pool deck, listening to some great Caribbean music, great drink in hand and bar tenders at your beck and call, that's what we like about RCCI.

Any advice, suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any input!

Hello, where are you looking to go??? I love the big ships but understand what you mean about the Freedom. We have booked the Allure 3 times and then moved to other ships for one reason or another. We were just on the Radiance last year for Alaska after she came out of drydock. She now has most of the restaurants that the large ships have. I really like the Voyager class. We have sailed the Adventure several times. The crew is great. I'm not a fan of flying out of San Juan though. We are now hooked on Transatlantics. We are sailing the Adventure in Nov 2012 for her TA and I have booked all of them for next year. I'm waiting to see how many vacation days I can take at once and if there are any price drops. I like that you get some of Europe, a little sun in the caribbean and lots of sea days. Good luck.

Thanks for responding!

I really don't have a preference of exactly where to go. I prefer the Southern and Eastern Caribbean. Never done Alaska, would love to, but someday and not now. We did a Transatlantic Xing years ago on X and LOVED it! Was a wonderful experience! We are limited to when we can go (holidays and summer) because of our child being in school. If I could just find that "just right" ship that makes me happy. Off to dream!! :)

Are you looking for this year or next? If you are looking for this year I would see what hot deals they have to offer. At least that way you aren't paying an arm and leg for something you aren't sure you will enjoy. The Explorer leaves out of Jersey. We live in Chicago and flights to Florida have been crazy high. We can fly to New York area for so much cheaper sometimes. It combines sea days with some Eastern. We have never been to Bermuda so I always look at trying someplace new. Where do you live??

Here are the main reasons I like a cruise:

I don't drink, so an all inclusive resort is too expensive for me.

I'm not a big foodie, so same reason as above.

I love to see different places or the option of just relaxing on the ship for a port I've already been too.

We did a tour of Spain once and had to repack suitcase everyday...on the ship...my luggage comes with me.

For me it simply comes down to...that I love cruising for the simple pleasure of being on the ocean and away from the every day mundane...and no one can reach me by cell phone!!!

My favorite is also the voyager class. Course it leaves 2 hours from us, so that helps because we don't have to play for flights, but love the promenade for ease of getting around and being able to relax there.

My in-laws just came back from Enchantment and they said it was really nice. I was on Serenade a few years back for our Alaska cruise and I do have to say that it gave me the 'wow' that I had missed since our first cruise. They really are beautiful ships.

Another friend of ours just came back from Oasis and said that they felt the ship was too large for them personally, but they were glad they tried it just to see what it was all about.

You have to do a vacation that will be enjoyable for you and the rest of your party. Hope this helps.

You didn't say what ship you did with Celebrity, but if you really prefer quality over quantity and elegance over bells and whistles you should do one of Celebrity's newer ships. We did Equinox (& are booked on Eclipse) and found them high on quality and elegance.

We still cruise on RCCL (booked on Independence and Vision), but will definitely look to Celebrity too.

You didn't say what ship you did with Celebrity, but if you really prefer quality over quantity and elegance over bells and whistles you should do one of Celebrity's newer ships. We did Equinox (& are booked on Eclipse) and found them high on quality and elegance.

We still cruise on RCCL (booked on Independence and Vision), but will definitely look to Celebrity too.

Good to know. I had been eyeing the Silhoutte, but not sure right now.

We did the Constellation when she was nearly brand new (amazing cruise!) and we also sailed on the Millenium (Christmas cruise, okay, but not amazing). Thanks for your input and the reminder about X!

Have to agree with the previous poster: The SOS was my absolute favorite ship I have been on. The ship is being repositioned in Europe later this year if you are interested in that area of the world. I loved all the glass and views of the water no matter where you were on the ship including the glass elevators. There were so many small things onboard that made the cruising experience so memorable like the service, staff, and vibe of the ship. The chefs onboard came out to the tables to greet guests, cool cloths were handed out in every port, the cabin stewards were very efficient and kind. We sailed during the holiday season and received a very special greeting card from our cabin steward. I could go on but, the experience onboard was so special compared to other RCI ships we have sailed on (especially the last cruise on the Navigator). To me, the appeal of a cruise vacation lies in the opportunity to experience new places in a short amount of time.

Have to agree with the previous poster: The SOS was my absolute favorite ship I have been on. The ship is being repositioned in Europe later this year if you are interested in that area of the world. I loved all the glass and views of the water no matter where you were on the ship including the glass elevators. There were so many small things onboard that made the cruising experience so memorable like the service, staff, and vibe of the ship. The chefs onboard came out to the tables to greet guests, cool cloths were handed out in every port, the cabin stewards were very efficient and kind. We sailed during the holiday season and received a very special greeting card from our cabin steward. I could go on but, the experience onboard was so special compared to other RCI ships we have sailed on (especially the last cruise on the Navigator). To me, the appeal of a cruise vacation lies in the opportunity to experience new places in a short amount of time.

Thanks so much for your input. Really good to know. Sounds like the Serenade is a beauty. And I totally agree with you about the opportunity to explore new places! Now off to dream of the next cruise!:)

Archived