Curious how many visit orphanages and schools while on holidays

Jokelady

A local lady collects the jerseys and sends them to Jamaica ( I believe) after the end of the year tourneys and the kids are delighted to send them together so that the children there can have enough shirts for a whole team. Our girls teams have done this a couple of times now.

What a great idea for all kids sports leagues!

About 8 yrs ago on a cruise to Roatan we brought along 3 extra large suitcases full of school supplies , t shirts,socks, flip fops, donated baseball gloves , balls,and other equipment for their new baseball team.Also put in some treats and bubbles.Brad his wife and the kids(& young adults) were very appreciative. I remember little Anna, I believe she had down syndrome She ran and jumped in my arms and gave me a big hug. Her story was a sad one. Her mother was on crack and she kept Anna in the chicken coop before she was rescued .Brad and his wife have saved many children by taking them and helping many others on the Island. Anna died a year or so after that I think it was some type of infection.It was very rewarding and yes it did make us feel wonderful. Brad hooked us up with a reliable driver who we paid to take us several miles away to a place I read about online so we could take a dory ride down the mangrove tunnels.

We knew what supplies were needed from a thread I read plus we also made a small cash donation.

It's not simple to do because you have to take the suitcases of supplies to a room and wait for the Honduran officials to go thru and ok everything .

I do my research before I go and speak to the people running the orphanages and they welcome people coming to spend time with the children and they really welcome cash and school supplies. They post wish lists on their websites. You can even come and do a volunteer vacation at most of them. A lot of my fellow Canadians do volunteer holidays.

Secondly, I do do my part at home. I am a foster parent in Canada and I just completed an adoption of a 12 year old girl and we adopted an infant 12 years ago. Most of my foster children that come through my home are Native North Americans. In the last 10 years I have fostered over 60 children and find it most rewarding. We currently have 9 children.

I took my foster children to Casa Hogar in Puerto Vallarta a few years ago. My children brough hats, coloring books/ books school supplies, hair ties and barrettes and cash. Casa Hogar was happy to see us come. My children ages 8 thru 15 sat and read to the little ones. We supplied a dozen books for them to read as well. My children came away humble and thankful of their better living conditions. It was a wonderful experience to teach my children to give back and not just drop money in a charity box.

I appreciate the feedback and look forward to personal experiences for those that do take the time to help the less fortunate whilst travelling to foreign ports of call.

K

P.S. I do not do this for entertainment but to share my good fortunes and to help the less fortunate as my Catholic faith taught me growing up. I did attend a convent for 3 years when I was in my late teens.

You sound like a wonderful and kind-hearted person.

I would like to donate to needy children in Roatan and could you advise me- I know things are very expensive for them to buy there. Is it better to mail them things off their organizational wish list or give a cash donation, say, to the orphanage or one of the schools?

Thanks,

Barb

Archived