Land Rover vs Shark/Ray Alley

pcmom10

Taking our 3 teenage boys on their first cruise. They like both adventure and water/fish. We've currently booked the Land Rover & Cave Expedition excursion through Carnival. However, I've now read about the Shark/Ray Alley & Caye Caulker tour through Coral Breeze. The boys love water and all things fish. But I've heard both good and bad about the shark/ray tour. The boys will be scuba diving in Roatan. We'll be going in early June. Biggest concern with the shark/ray tour is if the water is rough and/or bad weather that day. The Land Rover tough sounds like a blast especially if it's been raining. We've watched youtube videos on both activities.

So, in your opinion which is the better excursion? Can anyone give me insight into both?

What's better, a nice meal or a good show? The activities are so different there's no basis for comparison. It really depends on the person, their preferences, and even their mood. :confused:

One thing to consider is whether your kids will be SCUBA diving in Roatan before you get to Belize or after. Compared to that experience, snorkeling with Coral Breeze will be a big disappointment. Diving down to explore a coral reef is a surreal experience. If that's what they're used to, or what's fresh in their minds, following a large group in single file while wearing a life-jacket is sure to be a let down. :(

Another deciding factor may be weather. While bad weather might make the 4x4 tour more exciting, it can make the reef dangerous. Tour operators don't want to return deposits, and unfortunately, have taken tourists to the reef in questionable weather. Not only does that take any enjoyment out of the excursion, it can have tragic results... and has. To avoid ending up on the reef in bad weather, I wouldn't make a snorkeling reservation. You can always decide once you arrive.

Coral Breeze subcontracts to Hammerhead Sports and I've seen them offering the same trip right in the tourist village. Rumor has it, they don't always require snorkelers to follow them or wear life-jackets, so it may even be a better tour... or, you can just go on the Land Rover excursion! :cool:

Thanks Armedaneian. The potential for bad weather is really a big decision maker. You are right, both activities are about night and day from each other. We'll be in Roatan after Belize and will be the boys first Ocean diving. Have heard great reviews on the Land Rover and mixed on the shark/ray. I think the shark/ray tour would be a lot of fun but guess I need to listen to mom's instinct and stick with Land Rover. Thanks for basically re-confirming what I was already thinking :D

I decided to do an ATV Jungle Tour with my kids in November in Belize to give them something different since we will be doing a beach in Cozumel, Stingrays in Grand Caymans and a Victor Boden tour and ziplining in Roatan. This way they get lots of different experiences.

I think if you are doing the ocean dive in Roatan then they will probably love the Land Rover tour for something different. Good luck and enjoy your cruise

Archived