First cruise to the Caribbean

tikkas

Hello! I'm looking into booking a cruise in the Caribbean in March 2013 for my family, made up of my husband and I, two 6 year-olds and my 60-year old parents. It will also be the first visit to the States for my kids, so port of departure as well as ports of call should be child-friendly . Which RCCL cruise would you suggest?

Thanks!!

Hello! I'm looking into booking a cruise in the Caribbean in March 2013 for my family, made up of my husband and I, two 6 year-olds and my 60-year old parents. It will also be the first visit to the States for my kids, so port of departure as well as ports of call should be child-friendly . Which RCCL cruise would you suggest?

Thanks!!

How about a cruise with a pre cruise package ? We did Freedom of the seas eastern Caribbean 7 nights and stayed 4 nights in Orlando prior to the cruise , flying in from the U.K. Ibooked through a high street travel agent and the whole package was flights , hire car , 4 nights hotel on I drive and we also got a free Universal Studios ticket , we were in a balcony cabin and the whole trip cost just over £3000 , we have paid almost that for a 7 night med cruise .

Sounds like a wonderful family trip! Just be aware that March is when all the colleges and universities have Spring Break. Freedom is a bigger, more expensive ship, so there won't be quite as many, but there may be a different, less "family" atmosphere during that time. Maybe someone who has sailed on Freedom during Spring Break will comment. Disney World will be more crowded then, too. Is February an option?

June is not too bad, but July can be a little to hot/humid. If you go in March, do it the first week. Most of the Spring Breaks occur during the last couple of weeks in March.

Just about all North Carolina universities have Spring Break the first two weeks in March most years. Don't know about the rest of the country. Being that you're taking a longer cruise, I wouldn't expect to have as much problem as the shorter 3 or 4 days cruises, though.

We've been a few times in the summer, and yes, it's hot. But still a lot of fun!:)

If you do stay somewhere in Orlando before you go on your cruise be somewhat cautious on the touristy area of I-Drive. I am an Orlando native and imo, that area of town can get really shady and there is a lot of theft, etc. that occurs there on tourists. There are good areas as well but just make sure you do your research if you stay on I-Drive (international drive is the name of the road). Just my two cents!

Oh and between June and July I would do June so it's not QUITE as hot and so the parks if you do Disney or whatever aren't as bad. :) Would April be an option? That could be a good time after Spring Break madness but before peak of summer.

Archived