Haines Alaska

drevl

Going to be stopping in Haines duuring July Zaandam cruise. (southbound from Seward July 15th). Spending a lot of time in port so looking for some intersting excursions, etc. Looks like we can fit in 2 while in port. Active preferred, but if you got some ideas let me know.

Going to be stopping in Haines duuring July Zaandam cruise. (southbound from Seward July 15th). Spending a lot of time in port so looking for some intersting excursions, etc. Looks like we can fit in 2 while in port. Active preferred, but if you got some ideas let me know.

In Haines you have 2 basic options, to stay in the Haines area and seeing nature, or to take a high speed ferry to Skagway, seeing the fabulous Lynn Canal and then having the option of excursions like the railway. The ferry is about a 30-45 minute trip if I recall and makes for a really beautiful transit, especially if you have never been to Skagway. I recommend the railway if you have never taken it, we have enjoyed it many times and never been disappointed.

We have done both, stayed in Haines and traveled to Skagway, and enjoyed our excursions, both ship sponsored and self-directed very much. A lot will depend on the weather, as does many in the activities in Alaska!

The Alaska portion of the boards will have a great deal more information: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

When we went last summer, HAL offered a fabulous canoe trip to the face of a glacier. It was slightly active, after a bit of paddling, they fired up the engine and motored the rest of the way since it was really windy. It's on a private island and the tour guides live there the whole summer and can tell funny stories.

Haines is a really cute and quaint town that isn't completely commercialized with shops run by the cruise lines. We enjoyed taking a self guided tour of the old fort base, map was in the info center once you get off the ship. There is also a goofy museum of Hammers that you can visit for a few dollars.

Sandy

We'll be in Haines on July 4th also on the Zaandam. We decided on the excursion offered through HAL, Glacial Fjord by Bicycle. It will get us out in the fresh air and sounds like an easy ride on flat surface along the Chilkoot. You can find it on the HAL website under Haines excursions and here is a link to a site that I found online http://www.cyclealaska.com/glacial-fjord-bicycle-tour

Archived