dawn's refund- something fishy in norway

mike442

I hope I can steer this thread back in the right direction. I just got off the phone with customer service. They said that credits can now be used, but letters will be sent out within the next 2 weeks. She also was able to tell me that my credit was, in fact, 50%.

Just for everyone's info. There were 3 of us (one infant). My total cost of the 4/10 cruise was $2050.00 including port, taxes, etc. I was told that with all 3 passengers combined, we have a credit of $983.00!!

I could understand why people are getting different stories, because I had to ask the same question numerous times in order to get the exact dollar amount. I guess not everyone in customer service is on the same page.

Hope this helps clear some questions up.

Yes I was on the cruise with Mike. In fact I spent time with Mike and MaryEllen. Norwegian did do the right thing by all of us. I called them today and was told that we will be getting our refund. We have to give them a chance to get it right.They have 2500 pax that need refunds and that is alot of paperwork for them to do in such a short time. I did not mean to be rude in my post but I felt that Mike was upset and was questioning the refund. I apologize if you took it the wrong way.

Thanks for the info about the refund and the credit but I have one question about the refund. Did they say how they are giving the refund?. On your credit card from the cruise or the credit you used for the final payment or some other means?. Thanks

Thanks for the info about the refund and the credit but I have one question about the refund. Did they say how they are giving the refund?. On your credit card from the cruise or the credit you used for the final payment or some other means?. Thanks

The refund will appear on the credit card you used for BOOKING not the one you registered at check in for on-board expenses.

Seahorse

thanks for the suggestion. I tried now I'll just have to wait and see if I get any answers. It does seem to me that the actions of those ships is relevant.

i believe there was a disney cruise out there also

I think if you (or t/a) call again, you will get a different answer. We all know how common that is with all the cruise lines... $364 total does not sound right, in any sense! Unless of course the sailing you were on was really cheap, but b/c it was ther Dawn I highly doubt that. Sorry for misunderstanding though.

no problemo, i'm also sorry for doubttng you about the number of ports, i totally forgot port canaveral. must've been the free booze.

Mike, Joanne, Nice to see you up and posting. Spoke to our TA and we are just going to wait and see. Until NCL has a chance to sort this out, we have to speculate. With my wrist in a cast, I have nothing but time on my hand. Eileen

The refund will appear on the credit card you used for BOOKING not the one you registered at check in for on-board expenses.

Yikes! I quit my job in March to stay home with our 1-year old, and right before that we paid off and closed several credit cards, including the one we booked our trip with! Didn't even think about the fact that it might not be a good idea to close the card before we took the trip! I guess I'll have to call and see if I can get the money refunded to the card we used on-board...and I'm guessing I can't call until Monday?

Mike, Joanne, Nice to see you up and posting. Spoke to our TA and we are just going to wait and see. Until NCL has a chance to sort this out, we have to speculate. With my wrist in a cast, I have nothing but time on my hand. Eileen

eileen , good to see you're up and around glad to see the wrist is doing better,but, sorry to see it even happened. it was probably weak from all that pulling on the slot machines[lol]. i'm just gonna wait see what happens, if all works out i'm gonna do the dawn 1/22/06 2 new ports i've never been to--belize, s. america and roatin islands, honduras. if things don't work out, i'll do another 7 dayer and move on to rccl voyager and continue on the 11 dayers as i think i like them better. don't get me wrong i love ncl, but variety is the spice of life. see you soon, because like me,i know you love cruising.

i believe there was a disney cruise out there also

Thanks Mike I did check the disney board but I didn't find anything. There don't seem to be as many posts over there as there are here.

I didn't bother putting my question on that board. I get the feeling from what someone posted on another thread that unhappy topic discussions aren't very popular around here so I'm just going to let them hash the whole question out in court.

As long as it gets to court and they don't settle ahead of time we may get more facts then probably two or three years down the road.

Thanks Mike I did check the disney board but I didn't find anything. There don't seem to be as many posts over there as there are here.

I didn't bother putting my question on that board. I get the feeling from what someone posted on another thread that unhappy topic discussions aren't very popular around here so I'm just going to let them hash the whole question out in court.

As long as it gets to court and they don't settle ahead of time we may get more facts then probably two or three years down the road.

There were no other ships near the dawn that day or night. It was too risky for the other captains. Hopefully you'll find out the truth before 2 to 3 years.

I get the feeling from what someone posted on another thread that unhappy topic discussions aren't very popular around here so I'm just going to let them hash the whole question out in court.
Please read the board. You'll see that there are plenty of unhappy topic discussions on the board that remain on the board. Unfortunately, nasty fighting and vicious name calling isn't allowed. Ironically, the unhappy discussions are the most popular. ;)

Wasn't the Dawn off the coast of Georgia or Carolina when the wave hit. Why would there be any other ships nearby? No one else travels that far north this time of year. I don't believe the Coast Guard and the Maritime investigators found anything wrong with what the captain did.

Wasn't the Dawn off the coast of Georgia or Carolina when the wave hit. Why would there be any other ships nearby? No one else travels that far north this time of year. I don't believe the Coast Guard and the Maritime investigators found anything wrong with what the captain did.

Don't feed the ***** - they will go back uder the bridge....shhhh

Just wondering how the cruise coming back was after you left Charleston--one of my favorite cities. We just noticed a second day in Bermuda cancelled on our October sailing on RCCL to Bermuda and Caribbean. No refunds on this extra day at sea. People are not happy either. Looks like another ship is coming into port, so ours has to leave. Tough rules in Bermuda I guess. Hope you liked the Dawn. We sailed on her last December and loved the 10 restaurants on board. Last month we sailed RCCL and were very disappointed to go back to traditional assigned dinner times in one dining room. Hope to book the Dawn again once schedules come out for 2006. I loved sailing out of New York too. Our roughest seas were in the Caribbean near St. Thomas. Once we were about Bermuda's lattitude, the seas calmed down. We had delightful weather all the way back to New York.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

Just wondering how the cruise coming back was after you left Charleston--one of my favorite cities. We just noticed a second day in Bermuda cancelled on our October sailing on RCCL to Bermuda and Caribbean. No refunds on this extra day at sea. People are not happy either. Looks like another ship is coming into port, so ours has to leave. Tough rules in Bermuda I guess. Hope you liked the Dawn. We sailed on her last December and loved the 10 restaurants on board. Last month we sailed RCCL and were very disappointed to go back to traditional assigned dinner times in one dining room. Hope to book the Dawn again once schedules come out for 2006. I loved sailing out of New York too. Our roughest seas were in the Caribbean near St. Thomas. Once we were about Bermuda's lattitude, the seas calmed down. We had delightful weather all the way back to New York.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

I know how you feel about the dining. Took my father on the Horizon last year after sailing on the Dawn 2 times prior. I HATED IT !!! Had to start getting ready around 4 for dinner at 6:eek: Hated the cattle call and the hustle and bustle of the waiters bring in all that food all at once. I could go on and on............but I won`t.

Enjoy your next cruise on the Dawn:D I know I will in Feb.

I have cruised both traditional and freestyle and like both for different reasons.

I liked the attention you get from the wait staff in the regular dining and the fact that they get to know your likes and dislikes and if you wanted you could get to know them a little bit too. It is just more personal that way. I also liked getting to know my tablemates. We had a great time and enjoyed talking about our other travels and also about what we were all planning to do or had done on that cruise. If you didn't like your tablemates it would not be so good maybe but it was great for us. We had late seating because we eat dinner late at home. I wouldn't have liked rushing to make the 6 pm seating so well.

I liked the variety of restaurants offered by freestyle. We had a bit of a wait to get seated a couple of times but nothing too bad. I missed the personal service. We had a couple of very good wait teams and a couple of not so great ones. Nothing worth complaining about. If we were travelling with younger children the wait to be seated may have been more of a problem. In that case I might have preferred having a set time.

We didn't try any of the extra pay restaurants, we like cruising because almost everything was included and didn't see any need to pay extra. For those who find money is no object they may like the choice of paying more to get an upscale experience.

I forgot to say I also liked the singing and the baked alaska parade in the regular cruise dining. I think some people find it corny but for me it was part of what made the cruise different and special and fun. We didn't get any dinner pictures from the freestyle cruise. I don't know if they don't do that or if we were not in the right restaurant at the right tme. Again not a big deal but we did get a couple of very nice pictures from the dining room photographers in the cruise style dining.

My credit has been applied and I am very happy with the amount. We can only do a 7 day out of New York during Easter Break, so we are repeating the same itinerary as the 4/10 Dawn. The only thing is, The Dawn will not be doing this itinerary next spring. The Spirit will be taking over this itinerary. I have my DH 95% convinced to take this cruise, and by tomorrow, I expect to completely win him over. So wish me luck and if you have traveled on The Spirit, please let me know how you liked it.

Hi Caren,

I think we are going to do the 10-day Carribbean during Easter Break on the Dawn. How did you find out your credit had been applied? Are you talking about the refund or the discount off the next cruise? I went on line and booked through NCL (although I am going to change this to another TA) and it did not show my fare as being any cheaper. In other words, when I booked on line through NCL, I did not get 50% off. I didnt call and question this, because I am going to change TA's anyway.

Lauren,

I called NCL on Friday. They looked me up using our 4/10 sailing info and informed me that our credit was there. SHe gave me the exact amount per passanger. She explained that after I booked the next cruise, they will apply the credit. So if you have booked your cruise, call NCL and give them the info. They will apply your credit. When DH says yes, I will plunk down my deposit and have them apply me credit.

I wanted to do your cruise on the Dawn, but DH can't take more than one week off at a time.

Caren

I would think that once you accept that 1/2 off your cruise you are accepting a settlement from the cruise line and won t be able to sue. Not that you should be able to sue anyway.

I have no intention of suing. I don't know how much more people expect to get by suing. I personally had a portion of my trip ruined by the storm and I had another portion of my trip ruined by the itinerary change. I didn't care about missing Nassau, but I encountered other problems because of the change (which I will not rehash here).

But, I think that the compenstation offered is fair and quite frankly generous. I had no physical injuries. I had no loss of property. I had nightmares for two nights when I got home. I got 15 minutes of fame and essentially $3,100.00 between my credit and my refund.

I feel compensated. Thank you NCL.

Archived