which cruise line for our teens?

yamaharis

we want to take our son who will be a senior next year (mentally handicapped) and our 14 year old son on a cruise next year and wonder which cruise line would be best? My wife and I did a carnival last year (fascination) that we enjoyed but other than the pool wasn't much to keep them occupied and we don't want them to be bored. thanks in advance.

Royal Caribbean Freedom/Oasis class of ships - total of 5 ships to choose from in the fall 2012/winter 2013 season. You can't go wrong there with teens. Lots of activities indoor and outdoor. It is hard to get bored.

I agree, Royal seems to be very geared towards teens. Though I know teens who loved Carnival as well... So I guess you kind of have to think about what they will want to do. It they are not into the stuff on the ship (rock wall, etc.) then having it there won't get rid of boredom...

In your boat, I'd list the stuff on the ship & ask if he was interested in doing any of those activities. If not, then I'd make my decision based on other factors. (For me the ship is transportation, lodging, & restaurant - not entertainment.)

DS really loved the teen activities on royal. we were on oasis of the seas. they have a teen lounge and teen disco. in the lounge there is video games, computer ( you have to pay extra for internet) there is a big screen tv in front of a bunch od sofa cusions on the floor to lounge around and watch movies, there is a seperate area full of bean bags for kids to chill on. they also have a small deck area just for the teens. they also had a DJ scratch acadamy where they will learn how to dj and if they go to all the classes they get a tee at the end. they also had a music studio kids could play music in. on the boat there is 2 rock walls, 2 surfing machines, a zip line, basket ball court, mini golf, ping pong, carusel, iceskating rink, 4 pools.

If you are cruising with the expectation that the cruise will be the biggest part of the vacation -- then find the ship with activities your kids will most enjoy. If they are into the activities (zipline, waverider, rockclimbing, etc) - I agree that the larger RCCI ships may be your best choice.

If they like beaches, find an itinerary that spends little time "at sea" and most at (sandy) ports.

Our teen isn't "into" the active adventure stuff -- she prefers the shows on-board and the ports (shopping, museums, etc).

Archived