anyone back from the STAR - June 6?

lhall85917

WOW-I had to double check that I wasn't on the Princess board as most of their Alaska reviews are the same. Slow embarking, late disembarking, missed flights, etc. Many people who will never again go on Princess because of the troubles. We were recently on the Dawn Princess with a 12:20 flight that we nearly missed because of immigration problems on the ship. It can happen on any cruiseline. It sounds like most everyone had a great experience- those glitches are just part of the fun!

Karen

icon_cool.gifFletch1015: Thanks for your clarification and the tip on tendering. I'm glad you enjoyed the scenic trip as we are going on a similar tour as the ship's with a private company.I have one more question if you don't mind. What were the theme nights and when(Monday, Tuesday etc.)in the dining room?

We were on the 6/6 cruise (our 3rd NCL) and really enjoyed it - despite my husband's kidney stones acting up. I still don't know what happened at the embark in Ketchikan, but the line went around the block before they started up a second gangway. Seems were were late several times during this cruise leaving or arriving. The debark in Seattle was long, but they pushed immigration to split the immigration check between passengers and employees after a while. That sped up things. Just remember - a surprise inspection of over 1,000 extra people will throw a kink in everything. Who is supposed to help on shore if they're all in line? Random thoughts:

- as a Latitudes member, we had no embark issues in Seattle.

- if you're going to book a flight/train home the same day, be reasonable about the time you allow yourself to get to the airport and remember that there are multiple cruise ships coming in on the same day you do.

- the crew didn't seem overjoyed to be of service - but given how rude I found many of the passengers - I've got to praise the crew for not being downright uncivil. Our room stewards were great as was the concierge, Julie.

- Tex-mex - NOT. Hey - I'm from Texas and the Tex-Mex was okay, but nothing like those good family restaurants here.

- Casey's - excellent food, but surprised to have to pay the cover charge AND additional money for the steak and lobster - when we left it was like we had dined off ship.

- Buffet lines were often crowded and busy. Staff did what they could to keep things moving.

- Enjoyed the shows, but the seats in the auditorium are not for those with long legs.

- Blue Lagoon wait staff seemed to be on their own schedule some times.

- Wished we'd had more time in each port - after the excursions we didn't have much time for exploring.

- The "Best of Skagway" was too long for us and seemed rushed.

- Remember you're there to enjoy yourself. Don't sweat the small stuff - that's what you're trying to get away from. If you go there expecting to have a bad experience - you probably will.

Star to Alaska 6/6/04

Celebrity to Panama 4/14/05

NCL Sea Transition Cruise 10/03

NCL Norway to Caribbean 02/03

Carnival Celebration to Caribbean 05/93

I have to agree with most of the comments already posted. Embark/disembark was terrible. I'll never complain about standing in an airport line again! I would be very nervous about trying to catch an early flight.

My husband and I had already planned to stay in Seattle that day and take an early flight out the next morning. This worked very well for us. A suggestion I would like to make is staying at the Edgewater Hotel. When we were finally able to leave the ship, we just rolled our suitcases past all the crowds trying to get transportation and down the sidewalk to the Edgewater- VERY SHORT walk. Although the official checkin was not until 4:00 pm, we were allowed to checkin around 1:00pm, as our room was ready. Nice room, a little pricey, but well worth the convenience. Our balconey looked out over the Sound, and we could also watch everything going on with the Star. Our day in Seattle was beautiful- nice and sunny. Very easy to get around walking. Pike Place was neat, and the Underground tour was fun.

We used a Town Car service for transportation to and from the airport. They charge a flat rate of 35.00 for up to 4 people. Very comfortable and fast. The day we went home, at the airport, we saw some people from our cruise-alot had missed their flights the day before because of the delays getting off.

As for the cruise, we had a wonderful time. Our cabin was bigger than those I have had on other cruises. The bathroom was spacious. Our cabin stewards did an excellent job keeping things clean. They were very nice and helpful.

We enjoyed the Aqua and Versaille. We usually had breakfast in the Versaille, and dinner in the Aqua. One night we had dinner in Le Bistro-the food was wonderful, service excellent, but the food in the other restaurants was very good too. We did not eat at the other extra service charge restaurants, but I heard they were good.

For a quick meal, we went to the buffet, but I did not enjoy the food. It was just like any all you can eat buffet, nothing special. The Blue Lagoon was good for a quick something to eat, it was only slow the first time we tried it-I don't think all the help was there. We liked the fish and chips and the cheeseburger- the food is prepared as you order, so it doesn't sit around and get cold- like the food out by the pool.

Our weather was cold and windy most of the time, so you only saw the bravest people in the pool and hot tubs.

The entertainment was good. I especially enjoyed the magician and the Circ Asia.

In Juneau, we went on the Mendenhall Glacier and Wildlife tour- we saw many bald eagles, sea lions, and whales. There was a mother and baby whale, and the baby breeched as we were watching them. Our guide said they don't usually do this in Alaska as they are too busy eating, so we were glad to see it.

In Skagway, we took the Best of Skagway tour. Very pretty train ride. The Salmon bake was good, the show a little corny but a lot of fun. The Red Onion saloon was our last stop. Interesting history, but I was surprised at the number of parents that took their young children through, even when the were warned of the very adult content by the "girls" at the door. We did alot of shopping is Skagway.

In Ketchican, we did not do a tour but just walked around. We were part of the long line standing in the rain trying to get back on the ship.

In Victoria, we went on the Butchart Gardens tour. I was a little skeptical of going since we were 1 1/2 hours late getting to Victoria and it was beginning to rain. We did get to see a little of the gardens before getting dark. The gardens are very beautiful, and lighted at night. I would really like to see them on a sunny day. When we got back on the ship, we were pretty tired and hungry, as were a bunch of other people. We wound up ordering from the Blue Lagoon and taking it back to our cabin.

We preordered our shore excursions prior to going on our cruise. Our tickets were in our cabin when we arrived. It was really nice not having to deal with all that after we were on our way.

All in all, we had a great time. We booked another cruise while onboard for our whole family for next year.

While reading these boards, please keep in mind some people are never satisfied with anything and those are the people that usually complain. While waiting in the theatre for one of the shows there was a lady sitting next to me complaining (loudly) to her husband about every tiny thing she could think of. Poor man. I don't think she could ever be pleased.

Can't wait to go on another cruise and sharing it with my children (teenagers). I hope I enjoy the next one as much as this cruise.

Thanks for your review LemonPie! I can hardly wait to go. I get more excited with each description. We'll just prepare for long embark and debark - and be pleasantly suprised if it's not. One question - is the Blue Lagoon open 24 hours or only during certain times. Thanks!

My wife and I were on the Star June 6th. We had a very good time and we would use NCL again. One thing that has not been mentioned and I don't think I would take the Star to Alaska in the future because of it.

I was under the impression that we would be cruising the inside passage. Wrong. We left Seattle and went up the west coast of Vancouver Island. Instead of being able to see the sights of the inside passage and smooth sailing, we were in a rough ocean the first night and the next day. When we returned to Seattle after visiting our last port, again we came out into the Pacific and had to buck winds up to 50 knots and again a very rough ocean. That is what made us late getting into Victoria. I believe the reason the Star does this is because the ship is to big to go through parts of the inside passage. The Star is a great ship but I think I will try a different ship next year. I believe the Spirit will be doing a 11 day Alaska trip to and from Seattle and going as far north as Anchorage in 2005.

Archived