Guarantee Fares

katzoe

Are guarantee fares available on all Cunard cruises for all accommodation grades? I had read about them on the CC posts but have never been offered one by my Australian travel agent. On QM2 in January I booked a Q6 guarantee on a World Voyage sector on QV for 2013. I am now thinking that this is the way to go. Am I right?

Thanks in advance for your responses

I don't know if Cunard offer guarantee cabins at brochure prices but if they do, I can see absolutely no point in booking one. You are paying top dollar, but don't get the luxury of picking which cabin you want.

However, once a cruise gets close, the heavily discounted guarantees come out. Since you are looking at a Q6, keep your eye open for Gty Q7's. There will be a big difference between the price of that and a Q6.

I've booked this deal twice. The first time we "only" got a Q7, but it was everything as good as a Q4 I'd previously paid full price for. This time, we have been allocated a Q4. Two other CC forumers have got Q3s on the same voyage.

The only word of caution is that on QV and QE the Q7s are at the stern. This is wonderful if you like to see the wake, get the best view of the sights and have some peace and quiet. But if you are VERY prone to mal de mer, it can be a bit up and down in a heavy swell. But that's where the Q6 cabins are anyway.

Thanks Chunky for your insight. I certainly have no intention of paying the brochure price for a guarantee. I assumed a guarantee would always be at a lesser price. The Q6 guarantee the agent sold me on the QM2 was discounted for a segment on QV in March 2013. I know that the Q5-6 suites are located at the stern on QV & have no problems with that. I like the big balconies.

I hope you have a wonderful time. We have been in both situations too - paid almost brochure price for a special voyage and a specific cabin we wanted. We are also sailing to the North Cape for 2 weeks for less than we paid for one week on our previous trip. It all depends on what you want and how flexible you are in terms of dates and specific cabins/locations.

If you are happy with the price you pay at the time, don't go looking at the prices again as sometimes there are great deals - but sometimes it is booked out and you would have effectively missed the boat by waiting. A guarantee booking is always a bit of a gamble as you don't know what you will get - sometimes it will be better, sometimes you get what you pay for. If the minimum you will get is a Q6 you will be happy regardless. We have been upgraded from Q7 to Q3 for our next voyage. Now if I was to believe all the reviews and comments on here I would be lamenting about pillars in the cabin, noise from the lido above, surly staff, rude fellow passengers, terrible food and awful entertainment. Do I believe a word of it - absolutely not! We can't wait to be aboard and we are sure we have another fantastic adventure in store.

Have a wonderful time.

Cinders.

I have a Gty for my Aug cruise, (Grand Voyage Aug 28th, 24 days NY to NY). It is a D7, inside cabin, of course I hope that the upgradefairy will be kind to m, but if not I will be quite happy getting that for which I have paid.

This will be my 21st voyage with Cunard, (although I have done many with other cruise lines) I almost always book GTY, some times I am lucky, sometimes not. Of course I will never get upgraded to the Grills, but travelling solo I prefer a table for 6-8 .

So far there is a lack of postings for the roll calls for Aug 28th , Sept 4th and Sept 14th, but hope that will change. Cunard keep saying that these cruises are sold out as far as inside cabins are concerned.

Measured my cases this a.m, I will need two checked (have to pay $40 for the second one) Will be staying pre cruise in Hilton - 6th Ave NY, just to be sure that I do not miss the ship

So you lovely people if you are on one or more of these cruises, please join the roll calls. .

Have great cruises wherever you may go.

Lynn

Archived