past Alaska cruisers-- what camera?

sailor moon

...digital zooms are pretty useless. Optical is the way to go!!

Agreed! Sometimes I wonder why they even make digital zoom settings on cameras. Maybe it is just to make people think that they are really getting that much zoom when in reality the only useful zoom is optical.

It's a sales technique based on the consumer belief that bigger is better. "A 12X zoom is bigger than 10X so it must be better, right?"

Frank, you're absolutely right about the 12 fold vs 12X. I've been working with SLRs for so long that I tend to forget the ratios are different when talking about zoom ratios as opposed to true focal length. Thanks for clarifying.

Also, I come from the generation that was taught "if your photos aren't good enough you're not close enough...fill the #$*# frame" so you and I probably disagree on shooting small and cropping in the computer but that's a discussion best left to a time when we're sitting on the fantail of a ship with an icey cold adult beverage in hand.

Mountainhouse said...

"One last thing, yes, optical zooms are pretty useless."

Make that .....digital zooms are pretty useless. Optical is the way to go!!

Oops. My typo. Yes, digital zooms are useless. Interesting that high end cameras don't have them, isn't it? :)

I have researching digital cameras for weeks now. We were just about ready to purchase a Kodak that had 10 x optical with 5 MP. The Kodak seemed like the perfect camera for us until we went into Costco tonight. We left with the Konica Minolta Z 5. It has 5 MP. 12 X digital zoom with 4 X optical zoom.

About the only drawback on the Minolta is that it has AA batteries instead of the lithium batteries. That is a situation that can go either way. You can purchase batteries just about anywhere, but you do have to purchase them.

My brother was explaining the problems with the lithium battery. Once it is dead, it takes a while to recharge. It also doesn't tell you that it is going to die until it at the very end of its life. He informed me that once it tells you that the battery is dying that you might get another picture or two before it dies.

I also am planning to buy the Konica Minolta Dimage Z5. Was your price comparable to the internet prices?

Lynn

Don't you mean DIGITAL zoom is useless? Optical is what we want -- right?

I have the Canon PowerShot S1 IS and love it. I also have a Canon PowerShot A60 for its small size to slip in a pocket when I want to travel super-light. These cameras are a good choice for me for ease of use and comfort in my hands. Some very small cameras are hard to use, especially to hold steady. Image stabilizer is essential for high-powered zoom.

frank,

If I was going to order it from B & H, I would lose the time that I need to learn about this camera. So I "paid" for that time. I think that it is worth it to have the time to learn about this camera in the next 37 days than to take a camera to Alaska that I don't know how to use.

Sorry, Deb, missed your countdown clock. That's good thinking. Seems many folks spend too much time trying to decide which camera to buy. While the difference between two cameras is probably neglible, and won't result in better photos, some practice time certainly will. Bon voyage and good shooting!

Archived