Opinions please...Pride vs Fantasy

ACRmom

We are currently booked on the Pride (7 days,balcony) but doing some research realized we could do a b2b on the Fantasy (10 days total, oceanview) for about the same amount at the same time, late August. We are a family of 4, DH, myself, and 2 DSs 12 & 5. What are the main differences between these two ships. This is our first time on an older, smaller ship. The itineraries are not a big deal to me, just want to know best/worst features. So, what are the good, the bad and the ugly details on these two ships??

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

I just returned yesterday from a 5 day on the Fantasy (Interior on Verandah) that we booked last month. I do have a 7 day (Balcony on Upper) booked on The Pride for October 28th, but have never sailed that ship before. We live in PA and I don't really like to fly and avoid it if at all possible, so the 7 Carnival cruises we've taken so far since 2008, we drove to the ports--so I only have been on Dream Class and Fantasy Class ships. Since October will be my first Spirit Class ship, I can't comment on that, but I do have a feeling it will be my favorite class ship with Carnival so far. I have quite a few thoughts about Fantasy after just spending five days on her--also was on the Fantasy four months ago. I think it will be my last one on her for awhile if I can help it, but she's only a 9-1/2 hr. drive and so convenient. Love Charleston, too. Anyway, The Fantasy is really showing her age in my opinion. I didn't notice it so much in November, but this trip it stood out to me. I love the white marble staircase in the atrium so much and the white marble countertops at Guest Services and the Shore Excursion desk and other various spots on the ship. But, man she needs to retire. I was sunning on Verandah deck aft on the first sea day and the weather was just gorgeous. All of a sudden it felt like raindrops--everyone around me sat up, too, and we're all like is that rain? Then we see the back of the smokestack (WHALETAIL) and notice on the right hand side it looked like spraying clear stuff and then orange stuff and it was getting worse. We realize it's not raining, but the whaletail is spitting stuff on us--all of a sudden, black soot like stuff comes spraying out. By this time, I was heading down the aft steps to get to the Lido deck where the little tables are outside under the roof and smokers like to hang out. My arms and back were covered with sooty splashes and others were all running down the steps. I felt so bad for one woman who didn't get down there right away. She was totally covered in black wet dirty soot and her clothes were all filthy and dirty. It was wet so it didn't rub off of her, it just made it worse on her clothes. You know, it was just one example I can give you of this being and older ship--like the railings don't meet anymore on the mitred corners on the railing on the forward Verandah deck. I don't know. These are little things, like she just looks so worn and old everywhere, except for that white marble. And, when you have repeat Bahamas itineraries (like how many times can you go to Nassau and Freeport--although I really like those ports). Couple that with the oldest ship in the fleet--not so much anymore. It's getting old. Carnival, if you're reading this, please put Fantasy into retirement and replace her with one of the younger Fantasy class ships there. OP, back to your original question. If it were me, I'd stay booked on the Pride for a 7day in a balcony, rather than 10 days on the Fantasy. I really was ready to get off after 5 days this time. And, don't get me wrong, we had a great cruise--wonderful weather, a nice crowd of people on this ship--wonderful staff. She's just old. PS-- I think your kids may get a little bored.

OP, after I hit send, I see that your family cruised on the Dream in 2010. Well, I was on the Dream in June, 2011 and then did Fantasy in November that year. It was a drastic difference to me. Now that I see your 12 and 5 yr olds were on the Dream, The Fantasy may disappoint them for sure in terms of kid stuff.

We have not been on the Pride but have been on her sister ship Miracle and we have also sailed on the Fantasy. Comparing the 2 is hard as they are completely different ships.

There are things that we liked better about both ships, but overall, I would choose the Miracle over the Fantasy. But, it really depends on what is important to you. If the waterslides are more important, I would choose the Fantasy, they have a waterworks area at the back of the ship that has loungers for you to hang out and watch them, while the Miracle has one, slow waterslide at the top with very few loungers and nothing else going on...

I found most things to be more the same than different...I think with the Fantasy you can just tell it is older, but if that doesn't bother you than you won't have an issue.

I don't think you would go wrong with either ship, but if you want to let us know what is most important to you we may be able to guide you better on a decision.

Thank you for your responses. There are good things about going to either port both are within driving distance, Baltimore is 4 1/2 hours away and we have family there so no hotel/parking issues. Charleston is 8 hours away and our oldest son, who unfortuantely is unable to go on vacation with us for the first time, lives there so as a bonus we could spend some time with him. As for the ships themselves, as I said this will be the first time on an older ship, we did the Conquest when it was fairly new and the Dream in it's first year, so I realize both of these ships will be alot different. What I want are fun activities for the boys so they will participate in Camp Carnival and Circle C, so that the husband and I can get some time to ourselves. The waterslides or lack of aren't a deal breaker but lack of a miniature golf course could be. (Seriously, that is what the 5 year old is most looking forward to and he would not be happy if he didn't get to play. LOL) As I said the ports aren't that big of a deal, I would probably not even get off the ship or at least not at all of them, I like to stay on the ship on port days.

So, I guess the real questions are:

How are Camp Carnival and Circle C? Is there really any difference between the programs on the different ships?

Is there miniature golf on the Fantasy?

When you say the ships appear old and/or worn, do you mean holes in the carpets, icky (for lack of a better word) looking bathrooms, that type of thing? Or just dated decor?

I just want to get on a ship and be able to spend time as a family and spend time as a couple. (And after this deployment is over probably a chair in the sun with a book and some ME time. :rolleyes:)

Thank you again for all your help.

Yes the Fantasy has mini golf. But the pride is larger and may have more to do and places to do it. The Fantasy doesn't have the steakhouse. I enjoy the fantasy class ships, the smaller size, less passengers and layout. But our boys enjoy basketball, which the Fantasy doesn't have.

However, being able to spend time with my son would most likely make the decision for me. Unless you can plan that another time. Good luck with your decision! Let us know what you decide.

Okay. I did see quite a few people walking around with their golf clubs to and from the golf course that's up on the Sun Deck. There is golf on the Fantasy. Now that you say you oldest son is in Charleston and you could spend some time with him, I'm leaning towards the Fantasy B2B cruises instead of the Pride. My son lives about 4-1/2 hrs. away from us in NJ and I jump at any chance I have to see him. As far as the Fantasy, there is plenty of deck space with chairs near Waterworks that are great for lounging in the sun with a book on the Fantasy, (I don't bother with Serenity, way too crowded in that tiny area for me) and most likely, that soot spraying incident was a one time deal and won't happen again. I can say the staff onboard this ship is wonderful. One thing I did notice, the kids on this cruise seemed to be having a great time. I did see them walking around on occasion in a group with Carnival staff doing activities and they seemed like they were having fun. They even had late night Camp Carnival activities going on until 3:00am I noticed in the FunTimes. After investigating today, I found out that the Fantasy is going into drydock in 2013, so fat chance she's retiring anytime soon. The Fantasy just looks dated and worn right now to me--old worn carpeting, a dated look, an older looking ship on the decks. We docked in Nassau right next to the Disney Dream and RCL Allure of the Seas--that may have made the Fantasy look older to me, too. But, we did have a wonderful time on this cruise--it was the first time DH and I went alone since the 80's (back then we cruised NCL). Fantasy is in need of a renovation and it looks like she'll get one next year. Take the 10 days near your son and more relaxation time for you. I never did a B2B but it does sure sound like fun.

Sorry, I have never been on the Pride, but I have sailed on the Fantasy twice. I can tell you the Camp Carnival program on the ship is great. My DGD, who was 5 at the time, loved it. She also loved the waterworks. She was too short for the slide. (must be 42''). The crew is super. If you check the top 5 ships for each month during the past year, you will see the Fantasy consistently. It is the oldest ship in the Fleet, but it does not show it.

I've been on both. Pride - July 2009. Fantasy - August 2011.

The Pride has an Adult Serenity area pool. The Fantasy does not. In fact the Pride has 3 pools and the Fantasy only 1. Fantasy's 1 and only pool is always incredibly crowded. I never got in but on the Pride I got in the adult pool on all the sea days and some port days.

Fantasy has a Waterworks area. The Pride does not. On the Fantasy trip, we took our younger daughter who loved, loved, loved the Waterworks area.

Pride has a steakhouse (David's). Fantasy does not.

I thought the Camp Carn. area & program similiar on both ships.

I thought the Buffet area on the Fantasy was better arranged then on the Pride. The MDR I thought was about the same on both ships.

I liked both ships & would sail on either again in a heartbeat.

My last 2 cruises included the Fantasy 7-11 & the Pride 12-11 so I still have great memories of both. Honestly the ships are more similiar than not, the only real difference to me was the lack of the steak house on the Fantasy. Some people complain about the single pool on the Fantasy but for me it's a non issue as I have no desire to go into any of the pools that I have found on any ship. The waterworks is a plus on the Fantasy for both young & old. Both ships feature mini golf, ping pong, etc., & similiar camp programs. The Fantasy is fractionally smaller & carries fewer passengers which is nice when it comes time to hit the buffet or the theatre. I saw no evidence of the Fantasy being dirty or worn out. I would get back on her in a minute.......in fact I'm heading back in July to give her another shot. I would say you won't go wrong with either choice.

Thank you for all your help! I still have not made up my mind but you all have been very helpful. I'm waiting to hear back from DH on whether or not he'll be able to get the extra leave time. There are good features on both it seems, and from what everyone said it seems to me that we will be happy on either ship. And being able to spend some time with our son (as long as he doesn't boycott us for not taking him-LOL) and the extra days are definitely pushing me towards the Fantasy.

This is vacation and shouldn't be this hard of a decision. UGH!!

I prefer the Pride.

Easy to get around. The Fantasy has dead ends because of the galley blocking the areas. You can get though on the promanade deck though.

On the Pride entertainment is featured on two decks instead of one.

--

your B2B your second week will be a rerun of your first week. is the ports different. 10 days--

Based on what everyone has said and the bonus of being able to spend a few days with our oldest son we are going to do the B2B on the Fantasy. I know we are giving up the Steakhouse (very hard for me and DH) and will be doing the same cruise both times. But we are getting the waterworks (bonus for the DSs) and extra days. As I've said I'm not concerned about the ports I'm just happy to be on a ship. And there is always too much to do so we can pick and choose and know that we're going to have an opportunity to do whatever we missed the second time around.

I really appreciate all the input!

Archived