November cruise

tk22

We are thinking about a cruise out of Galveston to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel - either the first week or the last week in November. Any advice appreciated on which week would be better weather-wise and and differences in rough sea conditions.

We are thinking about a cruise out of Galveston to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel - either the first week or the last week in November. Any advice appreciated on which week would be better weather-wise and and differences in rough sea conditions.

We have taken two western cruises the first week and one cruise the second week of November. The weather is still pretty warm (80's). The seas were decent even when skirting a previous hurricane. The water is still nice and warm but had one day on each trip where it rained for an hour or two. November is the beginning of their rainy season so wasn't too bad. We love the western itinerary. You will have a wonderful time.:D

We went on the Magic last November 27th. It was really cold and rainy in Galveston when we left. Over all the cruise went fairly smooth. Got windy down in the Carribean and couldn't make Cayman because it was too windy. :)

It's really hard to predict the weather, but it will definitely be warmer down there than up here that time of year.

However, if a cold front comes through it can get cool and the seas can get rough. It's a crap shoot.

We traveled the second week of November to Cozumel and Grand Cayman from Miami on the Liberty and the sea days were rough (especially on the ride back) and overcast/cloudy. The weather was beautiful in Cozumel and sunny but windy in Grand Cayman (we almost missed the port, the tenders were running 2 hours late).

We are heading out of New Orleans during Thanksgiving week. I've sailed out of NO in March and July. Two of the March cruises were warm everyday. One cruise was cold on the last day at sea. Of course the July cruise was HOT but GREAT!! I'm from the South, so I know how unpredictable the weather can be. I'm hoping that we are having a warm spell so that it will be warm when we board the ship. Either way, we are taking the first family vacation that we have had in over three years, so I'm pumped!!! Happy cruising!

I sailed the first week in November many years ago. The last day of our cruise, a sea day, a cold front came through and created 12-foot swells! :eek: It was ugly!

The ship sort of rolled, side to side, while climbing tall waves and crashing down on the other side. The horizon would be there a moment, then it was gone. Walking the corridors was like a space walk: I'd pick my foot up to take a step, and before I could place it down again, the floor would fall away. Sick bags hung in every restroom and elevator bay. "do not disturb" signs lined the doors in halls and you could hear violent retching coming from the cabins.

Recently, I sailed Thanksgiving week. Again, at the end of the cruise, we hit some rough seas, albeit not as rough as our previous Nov. one. The swimming pool became a wave pool, with a shallow end and a spill-over end and they would alternate sides with each pitch of the ship. Again, the sick bags were hung in the bays with care, in hopes that St. Nicholas...wouldn't have to use them!

Hubby and I both had massages scheduled for that day, and I was pretty darn green going into the spa. (But after 20 minutes of relaxing on the massage table, I felt so much better, so maybe that's the secret?)

Anyway, I think my point is, 3 weeks doesn't really matter one way or another. Even if it's unseasonably warm when you cruise, any front that moves through is going to give you some rough seas. Prepare for whatever you think the weather will be like as best you can, but remember that nothing always goes as planned. As long as you accept the unpredictability of the weather and seas, you will be fine!

Have a great cruise!

Archived