Tipping for toddlers?

Oh PUHLEASE!!!!

This thread is turning into a cat fight that I no longer want any part of.

I don't know who TJ is except another member of the CC board. Who she is married to should make no difference here.

You never know who one of us is married to or related to..could surprise ya.

Obaybee,

I never said I was even Married so who care's I was giving you my own opinion. But after cruiseing at least 600 cruise's I can voice my opinion. Those that don't like it don't have to read it.

Tj

Obaybee,

I never said I was even Married so who care's I was giving you my own opinion. But after cruiseing at least 600 cruise's I can voice my opinion. Those that don't like it don't have to read it.

Tj

That will make you diamond +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I think ;)

Just kidding:D

"it's my decision to tip for my 3 yr old as I see appropriate"

Exactly. Why people bother discussing tips on this board is pointless.

Everyone on this board tips way over the suggested amount and tips everyone who ever comes into contact with them. They tip for good or bad service and start at 20% and go higher. They tip what they would at home for the same thing. Given that a meal the equivalent of Portofino's would be about $150 home they never tip less than an extra $30. They tip the AO staff a weeks wages, then head on down to the engine room with a wad of $20's and let them fly.

Rant over, People, tip whatever YOU want, tipping is a personal thing. Thats why they give out envelopes and don't call your cabin number and make you count out your tip infront of the entire cruise ship. If you are or aren't going to tip the opinions of a few anonymous posters won't change your mind.

Eventually when they add the tips as a service charge directly to your seapass account to compensate the staff ( taking the obligatory 10% admin fee off the top), and there is no option to refuse this or the DIRECTED amount. This board will be full of people complaining about have to give tips to people who they wouldn't tip that much to as the service was sub par.

Kind of reminds me of the first few times I was at restaurants in Italy. It took me several days before I realized all the restaurants were automatically adding a 20% tip but the waiter was still standing there with his hand out looking for more, even though we'd only seen him long enough to order then come back for the bill.

If you want to see what poor service is, go to France or northern Italy. Eat at most restaurants and see how they treat you knowing they are getting 15 - 20% whether they fawn all over you or just ignore you.

What you are talking about restaurants in Italy is not that the tip is included.

They call it a charge for the dish. This is an equivalent to a service charge added to your bill. If you would like to tip it would be an additional amount for the waiter for good service. BTW the service charge goes not to the waiter but to the boss. The boss pays the waiter from what he earns.

Where I live the price on the menu is always total and the service is included. We tip over here too for good service but it´s not a set amount and reflects more a thank you.

I think tipping on a cruise ship is very much different as the salary of the people results from the tips, so it´s not just a thank you but their salary.

Probably it´s not propper to call it tip.

Madforcruising, it looks like we've sailed on a few of the same ships like Vision, Legend, Dawn, and Jewel (upcoming Oct). Dawn is my favorite so far because of the freestyle dining in their 10 restaurants. I was so happy to tip on that ship.

I agree with the post that all these are suggested guidelines. Some parents probably pay extra and others pay less. In the end, tips are usually pooled so it all averages out. I don't agree about cruising based on what people can afford. Most waitresses will tell you that the wealthiest are often the cheapest. Some day the cruiselines may automatically add tipping as a service charge. Even on Norwegian and Carnival, you can remove or add whatever tips you choose from your sea pass account. Some people may not realize that. You can even pay tips in cash. It is our choice to make. Perhaps some day the cruiselines will add the tipping in as part of your cruise cost. Until then, pay what you want .

Mary

Plymouth, MA

You should not reduce the tip of the waiter for the AO crew. The AO crew should just get some tip on the top of the others people recommended tips.

Which means if you travel with kids you should budget for more tips than people without kids.

MY OPINION!

I know what you mean about automatic tipping. We had a rehersal party in Miami at a restaurant on Key Biscayne that didn't tell me they already had added a 15% gratuity. I added another 20%. When I got home and reviewed my bill, I realized what I had done. My credit card company graciously removed the additional 20%.

"it's my decision to tip for my 3 yr old as I see appropriate"

Exactly. Why people bother discussing tips on this board is pointless.

Everyone on this board tips way over the suggested amount and tips everyone who ever comes into contact with them. They tip for good or bad service and start at 20% and go higher. They tip what they would at home for the same thing. Given that a meal the equivalent of Portofino's would be about $150 home they never tip less than an extra $30. They tip the AO staff a weeks wages, then head on down to the engine room with a wad of $20's and let them fly.

Rant over, People, tip whatever YOU want, tipping is a personal thing. Thats why they give out envelopes and don't call your cabin number and make you count out your tip infront of the entire cruise ship. If you are or aren't going to tip the opinions of a few anonymous posters won't change your mind.

Eventually when they add the tips as a service charge directly to your seapass account to compensate the staff ( taking the obligatory 10% admin fee off the top), and there is no option to refuse this or the DIRECTED amount. This board will be full of people complaining about have to give tips to people who they wouldn't tip that much to as the service was sub par.

Kind of reminds me of the first few times I was at restaurants in Italy. It took me several days before I realized all the restaurants were automatically adding a 20% tip but the waiter was still standing there with his hand out looking for more, even though we'd only seen him long enough to order then come back for the bill.

If you want to see what poor service is, go to France or northern Italy. Eat at most restaurants and see how they treat you knowing they are getting 15 - 20% whether they fawn all over you or just ignore you.

All I can say is that on my son's first cruise, the staff was so incredibly helpful, so willing to do anything for him, that I tipped them well above the suggested gratuity from ALL of us. The waitstaff brought him everything and anything he could ask for. They were kind, courteous and more than eager to please. Housekeeping was prompt, efficient and friendly. I can't imagine not giving them the standard....they deserved so much more based on MY standards. Quite frankly, I live in a major metro area and I'm used to people jumping for us in restaurants. The service received went well beyond even THAT standard for our (at the time) 7 year old.

I can't imagine looking at people working their asses off for me and suggesting that they deserve less than the suggested gratuity.....no matter what age I am, how much money I didn't budget, or how much I don't have once I get home. I'll find it to make those people value me as much as I valued them.

Madforcruising, it looks like we've sailed on a few of the same ships like Vision, Legend, Dawn, and Jewel (upcoming Oct). Dawn is my favorite so far because of the freestyle dining in their 10 restaurants. I was so happy to tip on that ship.

See how different opinions can be. Norwegian Dawn was my least favourite so far because of the Freestyle Dining. I hated Freestyle and it was the worst service I ever received on any of my cruises. I didn´t lowered my tip but for sure I didn´t add anything for such lousy service. In looking back I think I should have lowered the tip but on the other hand I think it was not only the fault of the service staff but it´s also the concept.

For those of you who champion the cause for the underpaid, overworked, nearly sweat shop crowded living arrangements of the crew, WHY DO YOU CRUISE? Why not save the $ you would spend for a cruise and send it to one of them or their families? You make it sound like these people are indentured servants to the cruise line. If life is truly that bad for these employees, I just wonder why you choose to patronize a company who would treat their employees so shamefully yet be able to enjoy eating and drinking and spending more money in a week than these people supposedly make in close to a year right in front of them.

Hey Soxfan--I'm a Soxfan too. I like the way everyone speaks their mind on this board. I have a dog that wants to be tipped too. We adopted her after her mother died. Now she wants a share of our estate. I'm used to giving and giving here in Massachusetts.

Madforcruising: How could you not like 10 different restaurants. The food was so fantastic on that ship. The service was outstanding too. My inlaws ate in the same restaurant every night and had the same waiters and table the whole trip. We preferred a different place each night. I hate eating in one dining room--especially since my waiter on my last cruise forgot we were there. The dining room had two floors and all we could hear was noise coming up the stairs. We couldn't even hear each other talking. We are heading on the Jewel of the Seas in October and can't wait to try eating in Portofino's. I actually enjoyed when the solarium on Legend was turned into a dining room one night. It beat eating in that noisey dining room. I can't wait to book another freestyle dining ship so I can eat when and where I want. I expect RCCL to have more and more restaurants in the years to come. I think most people like lots of choices--not simply dining room or buffet.

For those of you who champion the cause for the underpaid, overworked, nearly sweat shop crowded living arrangements of the crew, WHY DO YOU CRUISE? Why not save the $ you would spend for a cruise and send it to one of them or their families? You make it sound like these people are indentured servants to the cruise line. If life is truly that bad for these employees, I just wonder why you choose to patronize a company who would treat their employees so shamefully yet be able to enjoy eating and drinking and spending more money in a week than these people supposedly make in close to a year right in front of them.

I go away it was on like page 7 I come back and almost 5 hours are missing.... I think we should just call it a draw I think the poster got the answer..:)

I agree and think the topic has crossed the lines into a major brawl.

Since I can't clean this up without making it look like a piece of swiss cheese, I'll just close the topic here.

Archived