AT&T texting while on board?

tmarquez

Does anyone know what packages/rates AT&T has for onboard the ship? We already have unlimited text messaging on our account, if that makes a difference.

We won't make or receive any calls or use data, but want to use texting on a limited basis to keep track of DD when she is away from us.

Thanks for any help!

I just checked this;)The $.50 per text is correct, video/images closer to $1.50. ATT currently charges currently $2.49 minute onboard for cell phone calls. Told you need to have interational roaming and phone capablility.

I have heard horror stories of those with iphones who were charge data for auto updates. I'm taking a throwaway dumb phone with quad band coverage jik.

.50 to send a text message; 1.30 to send a picture/video message. If you have a plan, texts received count as regular texts under the plan. For unlimited, it means you can receive for free; for someone with a 200 text plan, for example, received texts just count against that limit.

See http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp

.50 to send a text message; 1.30 to send a picture/video message. If you have a plan, texts received count as regular texts under the plan. For unlimited, it means you can receive for free; for someone with a 200 text plan, for example, received texts just count against that limit.

See http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp

we have international roaming and unlimited texting plan & it'd be great not to run up any extra charges for received texts, just outgoing. ATT told me i'd have to pay the above rates for all texts onboard but not when in port-off the ship's tower:confused: guess i better call back

Edited by keishashadow

I can confirm this is correct! Texting is the easiest/cheapest way to go.

So, if you are available to receive a text, how do you not get roaming charges? We have iPhones with unlimited texts. Is there a way to have it not check email, etc, but still get texts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disable international data roaming on your iPhone (should be off by default); this prevents things like checking email or apps that require data and incurring massive charges. Texting is not considered a data plan service. International data roaming is under settings/general/network.

Edited by gadan1

So, if you are available to receive a text, how do you not get roaming charges? We have iPhones with unlimited texts. Is there a way to have it not check email, etc, but still get texts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'd call your provider to make sure, but from what i've read you need to turn off all features, data, etc so it won't constantly look for updates and charge you data fees

I can confirm this is correct! Texting is the easiest/cheapest way to go.

Yes! Now I remember telling my kids to text me as often as they wanted because it was still free. Spent about $7 - $8 sending texts back, definitely the cheapest way.

I just checked this;)The $.50 per text is correct, video/images closer to $1.50. ATT currently charges currently $2.49 minute onboard for cell phone calls. Told you need to have interational roaming and phone capablility.

I have heard horror stories of those with iphones who were charge data for auto updates. I'm taking a throwaway dumb phone with quad band coverage jik.

We both have iPhones - and follow the directions provided by AT&T and have NEVER been charged for any data beyond what's included in our plan.

Here's the link:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/en_US/pdf/Travel-Tips.pdf

Thanks everyone, very helpful!

So do I need to call AT&T and set up some kind of international plan to do just the texts? Or will it work automatically with my regular messaging plan?

No - you will want to call them and put the "AT&T World Traveller" plan on your account. It's $5.99/month and you can put in on right before you leave and take it off once you get back and all of the charges post to your account. We usually take it off about 3 week to a month after we get back - just to be safe.

The international services department at AT&T has always been very helpful. They look up where we going, give us the options and answer all of my questions. Even though we have iPhones - we don't use data while on the cruise - so the World Traveller that lets us make and receive calls and texts is what we always go with. Texts are the least expensive - .50 sent or received. So it allows us to check in on things at home without paying 2.49/minute.

Yes! Now I remember telling my kids to text me as often as they wanted because it was still free. Spent about $7 - $8 sending texts back, definitely the cheapest way.

Yeah - alot of people assume that their home plan applies. That's what gets them in to trouble....NOTHING is included when you are on the Cellular at Sea network or in the ports (expect St. Thomas and San Juan) - it's ALL international roaming and chaged that way.

I see all the time people annoyed when they get their bill - "but its free to talk/text to them at home" NOT the case when cruising.

No - you will want to call them and put the "AT&T World Traveller" plan on your account. It's $5.99/month and you can put in on right before you leave and take it off once you get back and all of the charges post to your account. We usually take it off about 3 week to a month after we get back - just to be safe.

The international services department at AT&T has always been very helpful. They look up where we going, give us the options and answer all of my questions. Even though we have iPhones - we don't use data while on the cruise - so the World Traveller that lets us make and receive calls and texts is what we always go with. Texts are the least expensive - .50 sent or received. So it allows us to check in on things at home without paying 2.49/minute.

This is not true. You don't need that international plan thing at $5.99/month just to send/receive texts, as the poster was asking. AT&T charges 50 cents to send and whatever your plan charges to receive; if unlimited texting, nothing to receive. You don't need any special plan for this. Done it many, many times.

Edited by klmorg

This is not true. You don't need that international plan thing at $5.99/month just to send/receive texts, as the poster was asking. AT&T charges 50 cents to send and whatever your plan charges to receive; if unlimited texting, nothing to receive. You don't need any special plan for this. Done it many, many times.

Ok...the texts are .50/each for any sent - even without the plan, while using the Cellular at Sea network on the ship. Not sure that is the case in any of the ports.

OP - FYI.....here is the link to the Celluar at Sea information - choosing AT&T and Carnival Cruise Lines:

http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?CIDL=1578&MNC=CING

At the very bottom of the page it explains the cost for texts and calls - while on board.

I still think a call to AT&T's international department is the best way to go. That way they can talk to you about charges specific to your plan.

• 2 years later...

If you want to communicate back home and you do not have wifi texting is by far the cheapest way to go. We have always checked back it at home via text and its a few extra $ tagged onto out bill. But my whole family has unlimited texting and we are very very careful to turn data roaming off.

One of my friends who travels internationally gave me a tip back when iMessage was new (not so new now) but if you can find a bar or coffee shop that offers free wifi you can always sign into their wifi if you have an iPhone or iPad and i message with other apple product users for free. I love that feature and it's something to keep in mind. We stopped for coffee in Grand Cayman and got free wifi with a coffee purchase, the code was on the receipt. It was well worth it for us to check back in at home for a few minutes. Plus FaceTime calls are inlucded in that as well if you really want to talk!!!

• 5 months later...
I used AT&T texting on a previous cruise and just checked in with my kids (teens) once a day. Cost me around 5 or 6 bucks...that was it! :)

Did you purchase a plan from AT&T in order to use texting on the ship?