What's up with Poesia Eastern Med Cruise?

Poppy1010

4 of us are booked on an Eastern Mediterranean Cruise on the MSC Poesia in September. I heard through this forum that the 4 cruises after the one we are booked on had been cancelled and I contacted MSC to see if our cruise would still go ahead and was told that it would. Our departure is supposed to be from Civitavecchia even though the cruise is starting in Genoa.

I had a thought about 10 days ago that given the subsequent cruises have been cancelled would the ship be coming back to Civitavecchia when the cruise is over or staying in Genoa. I phoned and emailed MSC and they can't tell me what's happening? They are waiting to hear back from 'superiors'. I don't know where I am supposed to be departing from (Rome or Genoa) or if I am departing at all? Anyone know anything??

4 of us are booked on an Eastern Mediterranean Cruise on the MSC Poesia in September. I heard through this forum that the 4 cruises after the one we are booked on had been cancelled and I contacted MSC to see if our cruise would still go ahead and was told that it would. Our departure is supposed to be from Civitavecchia even though the cruise is starting in Genoa.

I had a thought about 10 days ago that given the subsequent cruises have been cancelled would the ship be coming back to Civitavecchia when the cruise is over or staying in Genoa. I phoned and emailed MSC and they can't tell me what's happening? They are waiting to hear back from 'superiors'. I don't know where I am supposed to be departing from (Rome or Genoa) or if I am departing at all? Anyone know anything??

If your cruise is still on - You board the ship wherever your documents tell you, you disembark where your documents tell you. The ship is going into drydock for unknown repairs/refurbishment. Happens every few years to all ships its no big deal. Probably to make proper repairs to the damage done during the caribbean sailings, change afew carpets, paint and maybe change the style/pattern of bedding.

Thanks Irishman. Problem is that I only have a confirmation invoice saying Civitavecchia. I think MSC probably have a clause somewhere saying they can change the embark/disembark port. We haven't booked flights yet (thankfully) but if we had paid up around €250 each to fly to Rome and then found out that its Genoa, it would be a problem. Also its easy to get from Ireland to Rome but not so easy to get to Genoa! One of the MSC staff told me some passengers got letters so I was hoping someone out there had received one and could tell me the 'revised' plan was?

They don't change embarkation ports. They have several ports where embarkation occurs on Med cruises. If you have your confirmation, that all you need just now.

I really think you are unduly worrying over this. they've told you your cruise is not affected. I think I'd be more concerned if I were on the first cruise after the refurb, that it may not finish in time.

Hi Guys.

The Poesia is going to dry dock in Sept. There's a similar thread here: -

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1586204

We had our cruise cancelled, were now on the 17th Sep from Genoa (the last cruise before drydocking)

If I were you I'd start harassing MSC now! A fellow poster knew 7 days that their cruise was cancelled before MSC told my TA. Even with me calling / emailing my TA and MSC themselves. The customer service was poor, hopefully not an indication of service onboard.

Thanks Papcx. I'm on the same cruise as you - although supposed to get on in Rome one day after you! :) This will be my 3rd MSC cruise. I deal directly with the London office and they have always been great. I was just wondering if anyone out there who was supposed to be boarding in Rome had been changed to Genoa. To me it makes sense that the ship would just go Genoa to Genoa given that it is going into dry dock. I'll wait and see and when I find out will post the outcome. I could be over stressing :)!

Thanks Papcx. I'm on the same cruise as you - although supposed to get on in Rome one day after you! :) This will be my 3rd MSC cruise. I deal directly with the London office and they have always been great. I was just wondering if anyone out there who was supposed to be boarding in Rome had been changed to Genoa. To me it makes sense that the ship would just go Genoa to Genoa given that it is going into dry dock. I'll wait and see and when I find out will post the outcome. I could be over stressing :)!

Hmmm!

The cruise were on now was a alternative, we weren't offered Rome to Rome on this sailing but we were on others!

Good to hear you've had good service in the past, not been my experience :-(

Which ships were your other 2 cruises on?

Cheers,

Also, please enroll on our roll call: -

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1585418

Only you, me and the missus sailing at the moment!

Cheers,

That's interesting. So you weren't offered Rome. :confused: The plot thickens! I booked long before the 4 other cruises were cancelled so that's how I was put on a Rome/Rome circuit. I'm in Ireland and MSC tend to offer Rome or Barcelona or Venice as embarkation points for Irish passengers as there are direct flights from Ireland to these locations. I have been on the Magnifica - Eastern Med 2011 and the Splendida - Western Med in March this year. Had a great time on both but I guess its all relative to the individual's expectations. The itinerary and the ship itself would be most important to me. Both my reviews are posted in the Members reviews section. Thanks for the information. I will go on the roll call when I'm sure I'll be sailing :eek:!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've eventually heard back from MSC and its Genoa/Genoa after all. So my Rome/Rome booking is no longer valid. MSC never informed me of any changes until I approached them after hearing on this forum that there had been changes to some of these sailings. I have been given the option of cancelling with a full refund or taking the Genoa/Genoa option but not in the same cabins I had originally booked. I am quite disappointed with this as we are travelling as a family and had rooms beside each other and on a higher deck. Also Genoa is more difficult for us to get to. We are going to cancel if they can't give us better rooms.

Well I've eventually heard back from MSC and its Genoa/Genoa after all. So my Rome/Rome booking is no longer valid. MSC never informed me of any changes until I approached them after hearing on this forum that there had been changes to some of these sailings. I have been given the option of cancelling with a full refund or taking the Genoa/Genoa option but not in the same cabins I had originally booked. I am quite disappointed with this as we are travelling as a family and had rooms beside each other and on a higher deck. Also Genoa is more difficult for us to get to. We are going to cancel if they can't give us better rooms.

Unbelievable!

I knew at the end of Feb my cruise was off, as stated above that's a full week after others knew, and you aren't told till May!!! Only changed to an earlier cruise because we got the same room and our TA sorted the flights.

Seriously worried about MSC customer service. Reading other comments it seems to be a problem, right through from booking to on board.

I've paid a lot of money (less that I would on other lines in know, so my expectations are were they should be) so I want a certain level of service.

We shall see.

We heard back from MSC today and they can't change the new cabins allocated to us which weren't as good as the ones I had booked last December. Too many things have changed now since our original booking including the embarkation/disembarkation port so we are opting for MSC's offer of cancellation with a full refund. Sorry Papcx won't be joining you in September:(

We heard back from MSC today and they can't change the new cabins allocated to us which weren't as good as the ones I had booked last December. Too many things have changed now since our original booking including the embarkation/disembarkation port so we are opting for MSC's offer of cancellation with a full refund. Sorry Papcx won't be joining you in September:(

Looks like it's just me and the missus.

Archived