North cape

We are going on the North Cape Adventure Cruise in June and I am just trying to find some info on a couple of the excursions.

I am very interested in going to the Wilderness Centre + Polaric Centre from Tromso and also the Islands of Giske + Godey from Alesund.

The Thomson info says there is moderate walking involved which MAY be rough terrain and steps. This is their standard info for any walking involved.

Has anyone been to these places and if so can you give me any idea of any walking involved.

We went to the Wilderness Centre and it is fabulous. We did a husky ride in the snow. As it was covered in snow I don't really know how the ground is without snow. We managed fine and did not have to walk far at all. Obviously you do have to be careful with any outside rough ground. They provide you with snow suits, boots and gloves. They also do a deal where they give you a meal too. We had this and although I was not too happy about eating reindeer I have to say it was delicious. We were not on a cruise, we stayed in Tromso for a week. Norway is extremely expensive so we were very hungry!

We were a little disappointed with Polaria, just an aquarium really. They do have a good film presentation of Svalbard and the wildlife there. There are also bearded seals. We far preferred the cheaper and smaller Polar Museum. Tromso is a wonderful place, we have visited twice, once on our own in winter and once on a cruise in Spring. Have to say I preferred Winter.

Can't help you with Alesund as we have not been there.

We went to the Wilderness Centre and it is fabulous. We did a husky ride in the snow. As it was covered in snow I don't really know how the ground is without snow. We managed fine and did not have to walk far at all. Obviously you do have to be careful with any outside rough ground. They provide you with snow suits, boots and gloves. They also do a deal where they give you a meal too. We had this and although I was not too happy about eating reindeer I have to say it was delicious. We were not on a cruise, we stayed in Tromso for a week. Norway is extremely expensive so we were very hungry!

We were a little disappointed with Polaria, just an aquarium really. They do have a good film presentation of Svalbard and the wildlife there. There are also bearded seals. We far preferred the cheaper and smaller Polar Museum. Tromso is a wonderful place, we have visited twice, once on our own in winter and once on a cruise in Spring. Have to say I preferred Winter.

Can't help you with Alesund as we have not been there.

Thank you for your reply it does sound fabulous and I would love to go in winter. Unfortunately the excursion is only 3.5 hours so it's only going to be a look round and the family talking about the Huskies.

I think if we decided to go after what you have just described I would be very disappointed. Might have to look into a winter holiday when I can walk properly again.

Yes, make sure you are sure footed before you go there in winter. If you do go then take hiking poles with carbon tips to go into the ice. The snow is blown away from the pavements but the actual roads are like skating rinks. I don't know how they drive on them, well I do know, they have to change to snow tyres in winter, it is compulsary. Make sure your hotel is not in a hilly area. Radisson Blu, Clarion With, Clarion Hotel Bryggen, Rica Ishashotel are central and on flat ground. There are others but I can't remember their names. We were at the Clarion With which was good. Read up reviews on tripadvisor for hotels and attractions.

Archived