Sea Sickness on the Mexican Riviera?

Hollyster2

I have sailed out of Florida and New Orleans to the Western Caribbean. I would like to know from those of you that have sailed out of California to the Mexican Riviera and to the Caribbean if you noted a big difference in the seas. More sea sickness on one than the other? :confused: Thanks!

We sailed on the Vision this past March and like you, were very concerned pre-cruise about the motion. Prior to this cruise we had sailed the Caribbean and the Med. While we did experience slightly rougher water than on prevoius cruises, it was never an issue.

We sailed last week to the Mexican Riviera, and the seas were so calm-I think the most we saw were 1 ft. swells. However, our waiter said that 1 week prior,they had really rough seas. We also sailed the Western Caribbean, and only had rough seas for a couple of hours after leaving Jamaica.

The seas are a little unpredictable over here... we are not the Sunny California perfect weather that many perceive us to be! ;) We do have our own sorts of weather... and Mexico has storms & rainy seasons as well. It can literally change day to day, week to week. The Diamond, recently was very late getting back into port because of the high seas. Others report smooth seas the cruise before & after. When are you sailing? I would prepare for sea-sickness just in case and then you can adjust it based on how your voyage is going.

We sailed about a week before you last year. You can read my review that is in my signature. Weather was great until the last two days back.... it was down right COLD. And that happened in all of the June cruises. Weather in all of the ports was hot & humid.. what you would expect it to be. It was nice to spend our Mazatlan day on Stone Island with the breeze. It was just like those Corona commercials!! It will probably rain in the evening when you are in PV - the rainy season will just be starting and nighttime showers were common on all of the June cruises. It was nice after a long humid day! But definitely bring a light jacket or sweatshirt for the last two days heading home - if you plan to go out on the deck at all. A few of the cruisers before & after us hopped into our roll call to keep us updated on their trips and the weather seemed to be identical for them.

Hollyster2..we are on the DCL the week before you. I was worried about the rainy season starting, so I found this site and check the weather for the last few years. Seems like 85-95 average daytime and 70-75 lows with light showers.

Hopefully this link will work for you..go to the spot after the current conditions it's the history and almanac spot and play around with dates. I think this link is PV, but Matz has one too that you can get from this site. It even breaks it down to each hour of the day!

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/76601.html

Now, I don't want to scare anyone off, but on one of our trips to the Mexican Riviera the seas started to swell before we got to our first stop, Cabo. By the time we were finished with shore excursions the seas were so bad that it took the crew almost an hour to secure the last tender to the ship so the people on board could get out and back on the ship. As the tender got close to the ship they had to keep turning it away so it wouldn't smash against the side of the ship. We awoke the next morning -- after a very interesting night -- to find that we had gone about 25 miles all night. That day on board was miserable. Even if you weren't sick yourself, you couldn't find a place to sit down in any lounge without having people all around you holding sickness bags. Not pleasant, to say the least. We missed Mazatlan completely and took an extra day to get to Puerto Vallarta. When we got to PV the storm had passed and the weather was lovely.

All that being said, we are booked again for this trip this November. This will be our 3rd time on the Mexican Riviera. I know the last trip was an aberration, but I would say that both times we sailed the seas were not as calm as the Caribbean is supposed to be. It is the open ocean, after all. Of course, the last time I sailed the Caribbean from Tampa 2 years ago I also ended up in a storm and they canceled our stop in Key West. And I won't even begin to tell you here about seas I've encountered in the Mediterranean. But we did have great seas in Alaska, even cruising north from San Francisco, which is supposed to be notoriously rough waters. You just never know what you will encounter. It's part of the adventure of sailing.

I have sailed out of Florida and New Orleans to the Western Caribbean. I would like to know from those of you that have sailed out of California to the Mexican Riviera and to the Caribbean if you noted a big difference in the seas. More sea sickness on one than the other? :confused: Thanks!

We sailed on January 28th of this year out of San Diego - the seas were very calm.

Archived