skymiles for flight insurance ?

simkoreb

I'm using 80,000 skymiles to book my airfare for my upcoming cruise, and am buying trip insurance. What if I have to utilize the insurance...what happens to my miles?

I'm thinking about this because you have to put in how much you paid for the trip when you purchase trip insurance, but the plane tickets are free. I don't want to waste my miles if I have to cancel for some reason. It's taken a long time to save up this many! Does anyone know how this would work?

Thanks!!

I believe if you list the stated price per ticket in your travel insurance claim, you may get monetary value for your already booked airfare. I would first check with your travel insurance first and ask. It may also be a good idea to call delta and ask as well. I would also check the prices that people would otherwise be paying, that way you have a monetary value added to your flight portion should you need to file a claim.

I am assumung Delta, they have the Skymiles program I am also a member of...

If you had to cancel, you would not loose your miles. They do charge a fee to put the miles back into your acct. I had called the insurance company to ask them that question also. They said that you list the amount you would have to pay to have the miles reinstated back into your acct., plus any service charges you had to use the miles.

Claudia

Archived