Dover or Canterbury?

Our ship docks in Dover, and I know that we could go to Dover Castle. However, my DH has some minor walking difficulties....and dont know if that would be problematic at the castle. Then there is the option to venture to Canterbury and wander around the town and cathedral. Any suggestions from those that have experience with this port of call. Anyone out there who might have taken a ship's tour or have done it on their own? Thanks so much!!

Our ship docks in Dover, and I know that we could go to Dover Castle. However, my DH has some minor walking difficulties....and dont know if that would be problematic at the castle. Then there is the option to venture to Canterbury and wander around the town and cathedral. Any suggestions from those that have experience with this port of call. Anyone out there who might have taken a ship's tour or have done it on their own? Thanks so much!!

I have done both of these sites but not from a cruise. Just so that you know, not only is Dover castle a medieval site it also contains a museum and underground tunnels that were used as a secret base during WWII. It will also require a cab ride to and from as it is on top of a rather high and steep hill. Once on site there are a lot of steps and the tunnels although not super long I don't believe that you can exit anywhere but at the far end of the tour. The view from the castle towers are great though. Canterbury cathedral is an architectural marvel and the town around it is both old worldish and touristy. The area is quite flat so no walking problem, but is also 15 miles or so inland. I don't know about public transportation so you would probably need to do a tour for this.

Canterbury cathedral is an architectural marvel and the town around it is both old worldish and touristy. The area is quite flat so no walking problem, but is also 15 miles or so inland. I don't know about public transportation so you would probably need to do a tour for this.

No need to book a tour in order to get to Canterbury from Dover. There are two trains per hour on weekdays--a non-stop that makes the trip in a mere 16 minutes, and a local that takes 27 minutes. The return (round-trip) fares are as low as £7.60 (roughly $12) per person.

Crimsonbird: You would need to take a taxi between the Dover cruise terminal & Dover Priory railway station, and possibly also between Canterbury East railway station and the center of Canterbury. Otherwise, as cruizfitter says, Canterbury is a very walkable city, and easy to explore on your own.

No need to book a tour in order to get to Canterbury from Dover. There are two trains per hour on weekdays--a non-stop that makes the trip in a mere 16 minutes, and a local that takes 27 minutes. The return (round-trip) fares are as low as £7.60 (roughly $12) per person.

Crimsonbird: You would need to take a taxi between the Dover cruise terminal & Dover Priory railway station, and possibly also between Canterbury East railway station and the center of Canterbury. Otherwise, as cruizfitter says, Canterbury is a very walkable city, and easy to explore on your own.

Is it possible to take a bus, rather than a train, to Canterbury from Dover? Perhaps that would give us more options as far as views and would stop in a more convenient location within Canterbury. Advice?

Canterbury East station is about half a mile from the cathedral. The bus station is about a quarter of a mile away. The walking from both is level. Stagecoach has a bus service - here is the timetable http://www.stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_22290_15%2015A%20The%20Diamond.pdf

Another option at Dover is to visit the White Cliffs where there are walks to suit everybody and a nice cafe plus of course great views - see http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/white-cliffs-dover/

Crimsonbird ~

I was just about to post the link to the bus timetable, & the distances from Canterbury East railway station & the Canterbury bus stop to the center of Canterbury, but I see that rogerstone has already done so.;)

I do think the train journey would be more pleasant, and of course faster. Whether you take the train or the bus, you almost certainly would need a taxi from the Dover cruise terminal to the Dover Priory train station or the Pencester Road bus stop, because the cruise terminal itself is near the end of a long quay. I can't recall if it's really walkable, but there would be lots of road traffic to contend with if you try it on foot. See the photos, map, & general info on this page:

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/dover_cruise_terminal.htm

Crimsonbird ~

I was just about to post the link to the bus timetable, & the distances from Canterbury East railway station & the Canterbury bus stop to the center of Canterbury, but I see that rogerstone has already done so.;)

I do think the train journey would be more pleasant, and of course faster. Whether you take the train or the bus, you almost certainly would need a taxi from the Dover cruise terminal to the Dover Priory train station or the Pencester Road bus stop, because the cruise terminal itself is near the end of a long quay. I can't recall if it's really walkable, but there would be lots of road traffic to contend with if you try it on foot. See the photos, map, & general info on this page:

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/dover_cruise_terminal.htm

Thank you so much. Amazing help!!! The train it is. Regards.

• 4 weeks later...

I also have done both cities but from cruise terminal -- Buses run from terminal to Dover Castle making a stop in town. If going to Canturbury frequent train service is available from Dover town to Canterbury but from station to Cathedral is about a mile walk although I'm sure you can take a cab - my personal preference was Dover Castle which I found extremely interesting and, as a previous writer commented there is not as much walking involved (as in Canterbury)although it is hilly with numerous steps. The castle also has a very interesting underground hospital which was used in WW2 primarily to treat aircrews who had been shot down over the English Channel

I have done both of these sites but not from a cruise. Just so that you know, not only is Dover castle a medieval site it also contains a museum and underground tunnels that were used as a secret base during WWII. It will also require a cab ride to and from as it is on top of a rather high and steep hill. Once on site there are a lot of steps and the tunnels although not super long I don't believe that you can exit anywhere but at the far end of the tour. The view from the castle towers are great though. Canterbury cathedral is an architectural marvel and the town around it is both old worldish and touristy. The area is quite flat so no walking problem, but is also 15 miles or so inland. I don't know about public transportation so you would probably need to do a tour for this.

If you decide on Canterbury I highly recommend the audio tour you can pick up from various locations (such as at the coach station). I did this last week and found it very interesting and informative. There are two tours on the same equipment that take you to the walls and to see lots of other sights that you might well miss otherwise. You get an easy-to-follow map to go with it. I think it took my friend and I a couple of hours to do the two tours, including a coffee stop.

Archived