Questions from a First Time HAL Cruiser

The following is taken from website set up by a Holland cruizer and is very informative:

IRL_Joanie's Notes:

[

The Vista Class J & K Staterooms found on MAIN DECK are "Larger" inside cabins, being about 200 - 210 square feet in size, depending upon if they're handicapped accessible and/or connecting with other cabins. These Main Deck inside J's and K's are larger than the upper deck J's and K's by as many as 60 square feet (depending upon which J's and K's you're talking about). Many of the more experienced HAL cruisers tend to avoid any upper deck J or K in the forward section of the ship, while they might accept an upper deck stern J or K if there was no other alternative (i.e., if the obstructed outside cabins are taken). Those upper deck stern J's and K's will not have a couch, but will have two chairs. Some say they would never book anything bellow a J or a K on a Vista, and would not accept an inside cabin running length-wise with the ship.

[

The only inside cabins larger than the J's on Main Deck (and, indeed, the largest inside cabins in the fleet) are the "I" category cabins up on Navigation Deck 8: "I 8037" (which is handicapped accessible), "I 8041", "I 8045", and "I 8049. These four "I" category cabins are larger than the Js bellow them on Rotterdam Deck 7, and larger even than the five I category cabins amidships on Upper Verandah Deck 6. These Deck 8 "I" category cabins are only slightly narrower than the SS category cabins across the hall, and only a little shorter (not counting the SS's Verandah, of course). "I 8049" is the queen of all of the inside cabins, being a luxurious 233 square feet, which means that it is larger than ANY non verandah ocean view stateroom (which max out at 180 square feet). These Is are not quite as square as the J's and Ks on Main deck, but they're just as wide and a little deeper (i.e., more rectangular). Reports are that, "it feels larger than even a V cabin on the Vistas, which might be due to configuration but may also be a reality given that the smallest V's are 212 square feet, and that includes the verandah!"

[

If you can get a J or a K on Main Deck you can't go wrong. These are wonderful cabins in an excellent location and on the Vista ships, if you can get a K on deck 6 astern or a J on deck 7 astern, you'll find that they're small but acceptable (again, they won't have a couch but they will have two chairs). If you can't get one of those, and if you can't get an I on Deck 8, then go with an outside obstructed view cabin on Deck 4 (G or H). These are nice cabins, and even though they're smaller than the J's on Main Deck their configuration makes them feel comfortably sized. Indeed, other than lacking a verandah they're the same size as the inside portion of the V cabins on that deck (other than those facing astern).

[

Usually, the price differential between the inside Js and Ks and the outside H's and G's is only a few dollars -- so, if you find yourself stuck with only Ks in the forward section or even lower category cabins running length-wise with the ship, Spend the extra few bucks and go to an outside obstructed/partly obstructed view stateroom. You will hopefully not be disappointed.

Here is the link to the entire site. http://abqreunion2008.com/

It really helped us when deciding on what room to book.

We have been on the Westerdam 2 times in the last 2+years. Both thru the Panama canal. We really enjoyed the ship. We would pick up two 12 packs of pop before we boarded and put them in the luggage to have while on the 23 day cruise. Like everyone has stated before, the beds are the BEST! There is a lot of storage in the closets and under the bed for empty luggage. You can also order fresh fruit for the basket in your cabin.

We took a lot of photos and here is a link to some on the April 2011 Back to Back cruise we took on the Westerdam. One week in the Caribbean back to Ft. Lauderdale then out thru the canal to San Diego. I don't have an album with just Westerdam photos but you can get a feel for what she looks like. We booked a room on the upper Promanade deck that is obscured with the lifeboats. But there is a full floor to ceiling window that lets in a lot of light. The price we feel is very reasonable for that type of cabin.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=07afc87cdf2f6dca#cid=07AFC87CDF2F6DCA&id=7AFC87CDF2F6DCA%211223

Just click on the first picture and it will start a slide show. You will not be disappointed if you pick a cruise on the Westerdam. We were lucky, one of our Crusie Critic members booked the Penthouse suite ad we go to have a party there.

Archived