Shore exercursion - Norway

Grothj

We will be on the Navigator for its trip down the west coast of Norway this July. There are a couple of the shore excursions that describe long drives (and/or trains) between the fiords. One of the trips is from Hellesylt to Geiranger and is 8 hours. The other is between Flaam to Gudvangen and is part train and part bus for 7.5 hours.

Has anyone taken either of these excursions and can give us their opinion of which one is the best? I don't think we want to take both of them!

Jan

Hi Jan,

As you may remember my husband and I are also on this cruise and we are also in the process to decide about the excursions. I feel like you . I Don't think I'll take both overland excursions.

My TA speaks very highly of both tours . However, in her description of the Geiranger overland tour she mentions as one of the highlights a stop at a town called Stryn. From the writeup of the current year's tour is not clear to me if it stops in this town. They mention another town.

With respect to the Flam overland she speaks very highly of the stop at Voss, which she described as " a really delightful spot with a view of a crystal-clear lake with the mountains in the backdrop- about as scenic as it gets". They give you about an hour after lunch to stroll the lake and visit the town.

I'm initially inclined to take the Geiranger panorama instead of the overland and then take the Flam overland, but I still need to discuss it with my husband.

Do you any thoughts on any of the other excursions?

Maria

Hi Jan and Maria,

We were on this trip last year. The fjord where Gerainger is located is lovely. It is very easy to hire a taxi at the dock (the concierge on the ship can reserve one for you in advance) and simply drive up to the overlook and scenic view points from Gerainger. They can also stop at the Fjordlands museum on the way back to the dock - this turned out to be a very interesting museum and definitely worth an hour or so. Much better value than the ship's excursion and shorter too as you don't have to wait for lots of people to get off the bus, take pictures, get back on the bus.....

We did the overland from Gudvagen to Flaam and it was an excellent excursion. The train ride is a blast. Voss is indeed a lovely town right on the lake - I'd recommend skipping the tour provided lunch and just exploring Voss on your own. There is wonderful scenery everywhere you turn in Norway. I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip.

Hi Mary Ellen,

Thanks for responding. I like your suggestion about the taxi in Geiranger . Do you recall if in your taxi ride you went to Mt. Dalshniba and Mt. Djupvasshytta (Whew! I bet I've left or added a few letters to those names!)?

It'll be very convenient if we can reserve the cab through the Navigator's concierge. Maybe others in the group will like to join us . I rather do things that don't depend on big groups of people.

I'm pretty sure we'll do the overland Gudvangen/Flam

Again, thanks for your comments.

Maria

Although I've never done the excursions, I can say that if one of these train trips includes Voss, I'd definitely recomend it. I did a (very long, but very worth it) train ride from Oslo to Voss while I was living in Scandinavia about 7 years ago, and it has really stuck in my memory. Gorgeous. Like nothing else I've ever seen!

Cruisincarly,

Thanks for your comments as this reinforces my decision to take the excursion. It goes to Voss and I believe we stop for lunch there ( although I might follow Mary Ellen's suggestion and skip that).

Thanks to all for the hints. It does sound like the train is the way to go...which is what we were leaning towards.

We like to skip the "included" lunches as well and find our own. Too many times the food has been "americanized" instead of what they would normally serve.

Jan

Archived