Tanning question- New to this

OC Mom

I know there's a woman on the boards who owns a tanning salon and many of you who visit them so.....I'm going on a Carib. cruise in July and want to get a tan in advance (to help avoid a really nasty burn and to look a little thinner). Note: I have already purchased SPF 30 lotion for the cruise. I just purchased a one month unlimited tanning package at the salon and started Wednesday (also went today). The problem is, both locations have new employees working there and they are virtually useless when it comes to my basic questions. So....how long should I tan per session (I'm fair, blonde, green eyes and the bed is a basic model), should I use any tan "enhancing" creams they sell there, and should I use any particular after sun creams.

So far I tanned for 10 minutes 1st visit and 13 on the 2nd visit. I have a couple slightly itchy and pink spots (chest, between shoulder blades,etc), but am tanning well overall.

Thanks for the help.:)

I am currently tanning. Very fair-skinned and burn easily. I've had 4 sessions at only 6 minutes and 1 at 7 minutes. I cannot go two days in a row or I burn even at such minimal exposure; found that out the hard way. My understanding is that a good moisturizer of any kind before and after will work. If the product they sell isn't too expensive, I'd go ahead and buy it. The place I use has products starting at $12. They are wonderful, leave your skin feeling great, and the scent is heavenly. I have tried and will now use Australian Gold something-or-other beforehand and I use Undercover Angel afterwards. The literature our salon has says that moisturized skin tends to tan more evenly; don't know if it's true, but it has stopped me feeling like a lizard.

I have an SPF 45 for children that I'm taking on the cruise. I always forget to re-apply it; hoping this trip will be different.

I cannot wait to see other responses because we have been discussing this on our cruise rollcall thread, too! Great question!!!

I know there's a woman on the boards who owns a tanning salon and many of you who visit them so.....I'm going on a Carib. cruise in July and want to get a tan in advance (to help avoid a really nasty burn and to look a little thinner). Note: I have already purchased SPF 30 lotion for the cruise. I just purchased a one month unlimited tanning package at the salon and started Wednesday (also went today). The problem is, both locations have new employees working there and they are virtually useless when it comes to my basic questions. So....how long should I tan per session (I'm fair, blonde, green eyes and the bed is a basic model), should I use any tan "enhancing" creams they sell there, and should I use any particular after sun creams.

So far I tanned for 10 minutes 1st visit and 13 on the 2nd visit. I have a couple slightly itchy and pink spots (chest, between shoulder blades,etc), but am tanning well overall.

Thanks for the help.:)

If you have never tanned on a bed before now, I'd say no longer than 15-20 minutes. 30 minutes later on, like after 4-5 weeks. If you have really fair skin, depending on the beds, maybe less, to avoid a burn. Do the sunblock for the first few times, and see how you do, then go from there. Don't use any accelerator until you have a good base to work with. Even then, I'd put it somewhere where you can see what your skin will do, like in a small area.(hidden by normal clothing if needed) Oh, and wait at least 48 hours between tans, or more if you get burned.

I went for a month also in the basic beds then a couple visits in the high pressure beds as they were a gift due to the shop being shut down a few days with electrical problems.

In my salon you can only go up to 18 min in the basic beds and 10 min in the high pressure beds. I have blond hair and green eyes and am fair. The first two weeks I went three or four times a week for 10 min each time. The last two weeks I went 6 times a week for 12 min each visit. I got a little pink twice in the whole time.

I used the Australian Gold Accelerator but I also went home and took a bath afterwards then used body butter all over. My skin looks really good.

Has anyone tried the mystic tan? The spray on tanning booths? I'm curious as to how long they last and if it wears off quickly in the salt water? I know it doesn't help prevent burns - but as light as I am I don't go out without spf60:eek: anyways. I just don't want to be flourescent on the beach.

the mystic tan just makes you LOOK tan, it doesn't actually tan you, so yes, you still can burn from it. I am normally very pale, blue eyes, blonde hair, etc. I have been tanning on level three for a while (bronzing bed) and i am VERY dark and have never burned! i suggest that after you have a base tan from level one to pay a little extra money and go to a higher level..it is worth the results!!

Thanks for all of the replies. Looks like I'm on the right track. I think I'm gonna stick with 10 minutes for now, since it's working pretty well so far. I think the first couple weeks, getting a little base color, it the hardest. Any more tips on lotions??

I forgot.....I also bought my own pair of goggles ($3). I know they're supposed to clean them, but I don't totally trust it. I would be upset if I got pink eye ffrom something so silly.

Just scanned through the other posts, so if this was already mentioned, sorry.

The best way to make your tan last longer and keep the itching down is to moisturize. You can use an enhancer before you get into the bed, but make sure you slather down every time after you shower. I like Nivea creamy conditioning oil, but you can use whatever you like.

Get some good moisturizer specifically for your face, too. Pay special attention to that. Sun is the top two factors that cause aging on your face.

I'm not "preaching" (because I tan, too! :) ), but I have to take special care of my skin.

my advice would be to only bump up your minutes by 2 minute increments when you do decide you want to go longer.

The salon I go to only allows you to tan up to 20 minutes, max, per session. so now I'm in a "holding pattern" at 20 minutes, twice a week in a standard bed. then 12 minues (the max) in higher powered stand-up tanning booth (though it uses triple the minutes I have on my account). I go 3 times a week (every other day) for now, but the week prior to the cruise I'm planning on going 3-4 days in a row in the stand-up.

as for lotions, I've found I really like the "Beach Bum Rum" and "Rum on the Rocks" by Cal(ifornia) Tan. I'm also using this kind called "Adore" that comes in a funky bottle, but it's out in my van and I don't know who makes it. I really like those 3 lotions.

I also love the plain ol', cheapy Banana Boat aftersun lotion. comes in a pump, which I love, so much easier than struggling with silly squeeze bottles.

oh, and remember not to shower until 1-1 1/2 hours after you tan...it helps maximize the rays you got.

hope that helps!

my advice would be to only bump up your minutes by 2 minute increments when you do decide you want to go longer.

The salon I go to only allows you to tan up to 20 minutes, max, per session. so now I'm in a "holding pattern" at 20 minutes, twice a week in a standard bed. then 12 minues (the max) in higher powered stand-up tanning booth (though it uses triple the minutes I have on my account). I go 3 times a week (every other day) for now, but the week prior to the cruise I'm planning on going 3-4 days in a row in the stand-up.

as for lotions, I've found I really like the "Beach Bum Rum" and "Rum on the Rocks" by Cal(ifornia) Tan. I'm also using this kind called "Adore" that comes in a funky bottle, but it's out in my van and I don't know who makes it. I really like those 3 lotions.

I also love the plain ol', cheapy Banana Boat aftersun lotion. comes in a pump, which I love, so much easier than struggling with silly squeeze bottles.

oh, and remember not to shower until 1-1 1/2 hours after you tan...it helps maximize the rays you got.

hope that helps!

Thanks for the info! I see all of these fancy bottles of lotion at the check in counter, but didn't want to but something useless (and worse yet, overpriced). Do you burnin the stand up type booths/beds?? I never knew you shouldn't shower right after tanning. Good info. :)

I used to work in a tanning salon. There are SOOO many types of lotions, some have a "tingle factor" which makes your skin tingle a little (or alot, depending on what the tingle factor is)and makes you a little red after. I wouldn't use this kind until you already have a decent tan. Any kind of lotion helps, some have a bronzer in them- so make sure yoiu wipe your hands. The Aulstralian Gold is good if you don't want to spend a lot of money, but make sure you put it on evenly and everywhere, or you'll get lines!!! If you have any other questions, about lotions or bed, just ask!

The stand up booths are the same as the basic lay down beds, some people dont like them because a- you have to stand the whole time and b- you have to hold on to a bar so you dont have a line on your sides from your arm.

Thanks for the info! I see all of these fancy bottles of lotion at the check in counter, but didn't want to but something useless (and worse yet, overpriced). Do you burnin the stand up type booths/beds?? I never knew you shouldn't shower right after tanning. Good info. :)

where I'm at right now, I don't burn at all. the stand up evens out my tan a LOT...any spots that might be missed (your armpits, little wrinkles that appear when you lay down one way or another). plus I like it because I've always got so much to do, it almost kills me to have to lay still for 20 minutes (thinking all the while of everything else I could be doing,:o LOL). if you want to, you can also check out ebay for the lotions, you can usually find them less expensive than in the salon, just be sure you buy from a reputable (high feedback rating) seller.

oh, and as for the lotions I mentioned, the only one with a "tingle factor" is the "Rum on the Rocks"....and it's a cooling sensation, rather than a warming sensation in most of the others. all 3 I mentioned do have some bronzer in them (nothing major and I have had absolutely NO problems with streaking or funny residue left between my fingers or anything).

p.s.--we're going on the Valor/Eastern route as well...I'll let you know how it goes! :D

Yeah, it's getting close to your trip!! I'm curious to see what you think. My cruise is 2 months away and to make matters worse, I am babysitting my sister-in-laws kids this week while she's on a cruise in the same route!:cool: That's a whole other story.

Thanks again

The salon I go to has alot of lotions to and most have what is refered to as heat induced lotion, it makes your skin red and depending on the one you choose it does sting or burn. :mad: A lady got it in her eye after she tanned she looked like she had been socked really hard in the eye really swollen..not pretty :( ..so if you use these types of lotions keep it away from your eyes an dont rub your eyes after putting it on cause it is still on your hands an dont get it on your goggles.. I personally use Australian Gold..;)

Thanks Stormlover. I bought a sample of Fiji aftertanning moisturizer. I thought it was better to try before I buy. Good thing I did! It has a really strong scent that just doesn't agree with me- it actually makes me nauseous. Just one of those wierd things I guess.

I haven't seen anyone else mention it so I thought I would bring it to your attention. An artificial tan, I.E. tanning beds, will NOT prevent you from getting a sunburn from the sun. The tanning bed and the sun are two different ultraviolet lights. A tan from one will NOT protect you from a burn from the other.

Really??:confused: I got a little burned from the tanning bed and assumed I WAS conditioning my skin to both UVA and UVB rays. I knew a Mystic tan or can tan would not protect.

Archived