upgrades from economy to first

WASUP

When is a good time to ask for this? At the gate? A few days before, as soon as you are wanting to upgrade? The flight we are on, as alot of first and no coach left, we were wondering how this works with airlines

Thanks

When is a good time to ask for this? At the gate? A few days before, as soon as you are wanting to upgrade? The flight we are on, as alot of first and no coach left, we were wondering how this works with airlines

Unless you are a VER frequent flier, you stand a 99.9% chance of not being upgraded. By the time you fly, those premium frequent fliers will have taken all the first class seats.

I recently (November) flew to Jamaica. My flight from Philadelphia had about 20 people in coach and 3 in first class. Two people I knew had booked first class so I tried to get upgraded so I could sit up there and talk. I was flatly refused by the gate agents as well as the flight attendants.

Also airlines have been shrinking their first class cabins which minimizes the chance for an upgrade. As an option though, you might want to consider springing for a first class seat as most airlines have significantly dropped the price of them to the point where they may "only" be twice as expensive as a coach seat.

And you also need to buy a regular priced economy seat, not a deep-discount seat, for the opportunity to even pay for an upgrade. If you are buying the cheapest seat, even if you are a status FF'er, you won't get upgraded.

Now, if you happen to be flying on a low-cost carrier, such as Air Tran, that has a business class section, you may be able to buy an upgrade at check-in.

• 3 weeks later...

First class seats tend to fill up at the last minute, long after all of the coach seats are gone. The several times that I have used FF miles to upgrade to first class, it was at the last minute and I had no problem getting a seat. When I got on the plane, all of the first class seats were always full!

And you also need to buy a regular priced economy seat, not a deep-discount seat, for the opportunity to even pay for an upgrade. If you are buying the cheapest seat, even if you are a status FF'er, you won't get upgraded.

Depends on the airline

• 1 month later...

You'll get an upgrade one of two ways, 99% of the time. You'll pay for it, or you'll be on a flight that was overbooked and they'll give you an operational upgrade so they can get more people on the flight.

and probably 90% of that 99% you'll be paying for it

Delta does a "Volunteer wait list" to be upgraded, so go to the desk and ask to be put on it if thats the airline you are flying. Like the other stated, your ticket code may get you rejected, I know mine did one. (it was a re-book ticket)

Also, Air Tran and ATA let you upgrade for a small fee when you check in. Once I asked the ATA agent at the gate and he upgraded me no charge. (I had my wallet out and told me not to worry about it.)

All they can say is no.

• 2 weeks later...

It does depend on the airline. I have never had a problem getting upgraded when I fly on US Air. Most of the time coach is full and first class is almost empty. I just pay a $100 fee and they will upgrade me. This is after purchasing a deeply discounted coach ticket.

I also had decent luck with Delta. I think it depends on the time of day, day of the week, and month you travel. That is just my observation as far as upgrading goes because I always ask.

I purchase a deeply discounted ticket through Orbitz last September for three of us traveling to Europe and got Business Class Seats on Air France. I still haven't figured out why it happened but I have to admit that sometimes mistakes occure to be benefit of the little guy. Happy flying Tim

It all depends on the airline, the gate agent's mood......but, most importantly, it depends on how you want to upgrade.

Some airlines will give you an automatic upgrade if you book a full-fare coach ticket.

If you want to use miles from your frequent flier account, then you can upgrade at anytime IF upgrade seats are available in First.

If you want to do it at time of check-in or at the gate, then you also need to be a very frequent flier; they get first priority.

If you are simply wanting an upgrade based on good looks and charm........then you better hope for a gate agent who is in a very, very good mood and really, really likes you.

And, if you are wanting a "just because" free upgrade, it helps to be nicely dressed and a member of their frequent flier program. If I am upgrading with miles or because of my frequent flier status, I get the seat based on their upgrade policy, regardless of whether I am in suit or sweats. For a courtesy upgrade, everything has to work in your favor, and if you are nicely dressed and ask nicely, you might get it.

But......don't count on it. I fly about 100,000 miles a year, and am in the highest level frequent flier program on United. I fly First Class (thru whatever upgrade option) about 80% of the time. I seldom see empty seats in First....frequent fliers usually fill up those available seats. (In June, of about 25+ flights I was on, I can only think of 2 that had an empty seat at take-of.) And, even at my level, those remaining 20% flights.........I'm just another frequent flier who is riding in the back of the bus! :rolleyes:

cheers

Archived