Sticking my toe back into the water (so to speak)

Hi

I haven't stepped aboard a cruise ship since November 2007 when I sailed on the Voyager of the Sea. As much as I loved the trip (Eastern Med), the last day at sea was so rough, it kind of put me off booking another cruise.

However, as time goes on I found myself remembering what it was about a cruise holiday that in all reality outweighed the one rough day at sea. So I have taken the plunge and booked 7 days on the Splendour of the Seas in June and will be visiting such beautiful places such as Venice and Santorini.

I am so looking forward to spending time on my balcony, reading and relaxing as well as partaking in a few cocktails and plenty of sightseeing in a beautiful part of the world.

It also gives me the excuse to trawl through the great Royal Caribbean forum on CruiseCritic.

Any tips/handy hints for the Splendour of the Seas would be more than welcome.

Hi

I haven't stepped aboard a cruise ship since November 2007 when I sailed on the Voyager of the Sea. As much as I loved the trip (Eastern Med), the last day at sea was so rough, it kind of put me off booking another cruise.

However, as time goes on I found myself remembering what it was about a cruise holiday that in all reality outweighed the one rough day at sea. So I have taken the plunge and booked 7 days on the Splendour of the Seas in June and will be visiting such beautiful places such as Venice and Santorini.

I am so looking forward to spending time on my balcony, reading and relaxing as well as partaking in a few cocktails and plenty of sightseeing in a beautiful part of the world.

It also gives me the excuse to trawl through the great Royal Caribbean forum on CruiseCritic.

Any tips/handy hints for the Splendour of the Seas would be more than welcome.

By coincidence, our first cruise was in Nov 2007 -- Eastern Med on Splendour. We had a balcony on 7, 3 doors aft of the library. We loved Splendour and the itinerary. We felt like the ship was well cared for and the crew was great. Our information is now a little dated, but I will say that I think Splendour is a great size for the ports you will be visiting and a port intensive cruise. I don't know if you visited Venice on Voyager, but Venice is by far our favorite sail away. Keep in mind that, as you sail down the canal, the main part of the City will be to the port side of the ship. Personally, I would probably want to be on an open deck so I could change sides as convenient, but port side has the best view in my opinion. I have heard great things about the recent refurbishment of Splendour. Obviously, our time aboard isn't of any help there.

You mention one night of bad weather in Nov '07. We also had one night of rough weather as we rounded Greece form Santorini to Corfu -- probably about the 14th if I am counting correctly. In all our cruises, it was the only time DW woke me up and suggested she was a little scared. I asked if there was anything we could do about it, she said no, and we decided to go back to sleep. Never had any concerns about weather since.

Enjoy your cruise If there are specific questions you think I might be able to answer [and still have some relevance after 4 1/2 years] fire away. Here is a picture of our Venice sail away for what its worth:

IMG_0413.jpg?t=1288315316

Archived