Jacksonville Plaza Hotel and Suites: A Review

rnvattes

Hi all!

Just back from Carnival Fascination and wanted to pop in with a review of our pre-cruise hotel, the Jacksonville Plaza Hotel and Suites :)

I had read some mixed reviews of this hotel, and was a little nervous in the end as to whether I made a good choice. Short story - my choice was a fine one and I'd do it again!

I traveled with only my husband this trip. We flew in LATE to JAX, arriving at about midnight local time. Per the instructions, we obtained our luggage from baggage claim and called the hotel to arrange for the free shuttle to come and pick us up. Within 10 minutes time the van was there with a smiling, courteous, friendly driver. We had two quick stops to make -- Microtel (which looked cute from the outside -- definitely micro sized! LOL) and one of the parking centers.

We arrived at the hotel just a few minutes later, and checked in effortlessly. We had a room on the third floor of the hotel, with a view of the parking lot.

I was initially quite surprised by the size of the room. I will make no bones about it, it was tiny (we were in a Queen non-smoking room). But there was ample closet space, a vanity/desk, and bedside tables as well. It was very clean and smelled fresh.

The bathroom was large for the size of the room itself. It had definitely been updated sometime fairly recently (I had read that there was somewhat of an "ick" factor in the bathroom only because it showed it's age). It was a soapstone (or similar) one piece vanity and basin, large shower (with incredible shower pressure!) and tub. There were plenty of towels, as well as some sample-sized toiletries in case you didn't have your own.

The bed was comfortable, linens crisp and fresh.

The tv was small, and sat upon the armoire, but had a seemingly endless number of cable tv channels.

We slept well and woke early to get to the continental breakfast before our departure. Breakfast was the typical continental offerings -- pastry, muffins, toasts, bagels, cereals/oatmeal, milk, juice, coffee, cocoa, tea, and fruit. Everything we had was fresh, the kitchen area was clean though very small (only two tables for two there -- better to take your breakfast back to your room), and the coffee wasn't *that* bad (said the coffee snob).

After we ate, we took a walk to 747 Liquors, about a mile up the road. We heard it was open at 9a and planned to get our carry-on wine there. But it is NOT a liquor store (it's a lounge) and it is NOT open at 9a.m. :o We made our way back to the hotel, stopping at a Dunkin Donuts located diagonally across the road for some better coffee. There are various restaurants within walking distance from this hotel, including Ruby Tuesday, a steak house, and a chicken place. The sidewalks were safe and the area was clean.

We headed back to our room and readied ourselves for our departure. Checkout was effortless.

We utilized the free shuttle to the cruise terminal. The line was impressive and I assumed we'd be in for a bit of a wait. But those drivers know how to pack that luggage in to the gills, and we managed to leave on the second van out (with only a very short 5 minute wait after the first van left). Our driver was again friendly and courteous, and got us to the terminal in about 20 minutes time.

All told we were very happy with our stay at this hotel. It was more than sufficient for an overnight. Were we to have plans to stay longer, I would see if they had something larger, or choose another location. But for a quick sleep, this place was perfect.

• 1 year later...
Hi all!

Just back from Carnival Fascination and wanted to pop in with a review of our pre-cruise hotel, the Jacksonville Plaza Hotel and Suites :)

I had read some mixed reviews of this hotel, and was a little nervous in the end as to whether I made a good choice. Short story - my choice was a fine one and I'd do it again!

I traveled with only my husband this trip. We flew in LATE to JAX, arriving at about midnight local time. Per the instructions, we obtained our luggage from baggage claim and called the hotel to arrange for the free shuttle to come and pick us up. Within 10 minutes time the van was there with a smiling, courteous, friendly driver. We had two quick stops to make -- Microtel (which looked cute from the outside -- definitely micro sized! LOL) and one of the parking centers.

We arrived at the hotel just a few minutes later, and checked in effortlessly. We had a room on the third floor of the hotel, with a view of the parking lot.

I was initially quite surprised by the size of the room. I will make no bones about it, it was tiny (we were in a Queen non-smoking room). But there was ample closet space, a vanity/desk, and bedside tables as well. It was very clean and smelled fresh.

The bathroom was large for the size of the room itself. It had definitely been updated sometime fairly recently (I had read that there was somewhat of an "ick" factor in the bathroom only because it showed it's age). It was a soapstone (or similar) one piece vanity and basin, large shower (with incredible shower pressure!) and tub. There were plenty of towels, as well as some sample-sized toiletries in case you didn't have your own.

The bed was comfortable, linens crisp and fresh.

The tv was small, and sat upon the armoire, but had a seemingly endless number of cable tv channels.

We slept well and woke early to get to the continental breakfast before our departure. Breakfast was the typical continental offerings -- pastry, muffins, toasts, bagels, cereals/oatmeal, milk, juice, coffee, cocoa, tea, and fruit. Everything we had was fresh, the kitchen area was clean though very small (only two tables for two there -- better to take your breakfast back to your room), and the coffee wasn't *that* bad (said the coffee snob).

After we ate, we took a walk to 747 Liquors, about a mile up the road. We heard it was open at 9a and planned to get our carry-on wine there. But it is NOT a liquor store (it's a lounge) and it is NOT open at 9a.m. :o We made our way back to the hotel, stopping at a Dunkin Donuts located diagonally across the road for some better coffee. There are various restaurants within walking distance from this hotel, including Ruby Tuesday, a steak house, and a chicken place. The sidewalks were safe and the area was clean.

We headed back to our room and readied ourselves for our departure. Checkout was effortless.

We utilized the free shuttle to the cruise terminal. The line was impressive and I assumed we'd be in for a bit of a wait. But those drivers know how to pack that luggage in to the gills, and we managed to leave on the second van out (with only a very short 5 minute wait after the first van left). Our driver was again friendly and courteous, and got us to the terminal in about 20 minutes time.

All told we were very happy with our stay at this hotel. It was more than sufficient for an overnight. Were we to have plans to stay longer, I would see if they had something larger, or choose another location. But for a quick sleep, this place was perfect.

Thanks for the review! I was wondering if you found a place that is walking distance from the Hotel to pick up some wine?

Archived