Cunard disputes

Intlflyer

Thanks for the suggestion---we have been in contact with their Guest Relations but not the person you named. Do you happen to know her title?-or if she is in any kind of management position?

They are reneging on an offer made to us and all we are trying to do is keep them at their word--

:confused:

Have been unable to talk to Ms. Demaranda or anyone else at Cunard. Even their res agents seem to now be very closed-mouthed when we call....sounds as if they have been instructed not to give us info about anything, judging from their non-responses.

Sent a registered letter to Lee Robinson, VP of "Customer Service" which will arrive there today. Maybe that will elict some reply.....

As for our agency, they are not returning our calls or e mails, either....and the manager handling this problem is on vacation this week. In the meantime we are high-and-dry, as they say, waiting for something to happen on one end or the other.

Has anyone had a similar situation with a travel agency that can advise us what, if any, action might be taken against them??

Thanks for the suggestions everyone- we sure appreciate your time in trying to help.

We did just today get in touch w/ Ms. Demaranda at Cunard, who says our registered letter arrived and they have opened an "investigation" into our situation. Supposedly it takes 4-6 weeks to be adjudicated so I guess we'l be in further limbo until then.

Our travel agency wants no responsiblity for any part in this, although they have been in contact w/Cunard on our behalf. We still feel that as our agent they ought to have been on top of this unusual situation from the beginning and do play an intregal part in the screwup. Guess we'll see what Cunard comes up with and then deal with the travel agency accordingly. Any comments??

To describe the situation in brief:

We had booked a cruise on the QMII for an April 28 sailing.

A few days before we were to sail we got a call saying that a beloved cousin had committed suicide--obviously sudden and completely unexpected. Insurance does not cover the death of a cousin, as they don't consider them "immediate family". So we were left to contact our agency to see if anything could be done for us.

Cunard very graciously offered the opportunity to rebook anytime in May,which had to be done via our agency. In the following days, even in the midst of the tragedy thrust upon our family, we were in touch w/our agency several times trying to get the rebooking done, having them check availabilities, etc. When we finally decided on a date and our agent called to rebook, Cunard suddenly reneged on their offer.

Their excuses are many and varied, but hinge on a deadline to rebook that was never communicated to us, nor to our agent. Cunard has extensive notes in our history about this entire event, and the Cunard res. agent that was in on the rebooking offer has verified that there was no "deadline" mentioned in her notes. But Cunard now refuses to budge from their current stance that the deal has been rescinded and we are not only out the cruise but also the money.

We were at first stunned at their sudden change of heart, and now are increasingly frustrated and angry about the way they are treating us.

Also our agency has done the bare minimum in representing us in the dispute, so we are not too happy with them at this point, either.

Hopes this helps put our dispute in prospective-

Intlflyer

I Would Hold The Agency Responsible For Your Loss If Indeed Cunard Finds Against You. The Agency In A Fiduciary Capacity Was Obligated To Get The Offer From Cunard In Writing To Protect Your Interest. If All Else Fails Take The Agency To Court In Your Local Courts. Free Advice??????????? Good Luck!!!!!

I See They Censored The Tele # Direct To Guest Relations!!! Is This Something Like "we Have Changed The Names To Protect The Guilty "er I Mean "innocent" Anyway You Get The Idea!!!!!!!

Well, good news from the beleagured Int'lflyer!!

Cunard got our registered letter and "investigated" our complaint. We got word on Wed. that they had re-extended their previous offer to rebook, with no penalties other than a $100pp administrative fee.

So we are relieved and happy to have this nightmare behind us. And in spite of all the extra stress and frustration this has caused, we are looking forward to a great trip, judging from most of the comments we've read here. We now sail on May 28.

Thank you again, everyone, for your encouragement, advice, and good will. We really appreciate all the time you all took to try to come to our rescue and are glad to report a happy ending to the saga. I think the moral of the story is to fight for what you think is right, and pull out all the stops, if necessary, to do it.I doubt we would have had this outcome if we had not done that.

Int'lflyer

Great To Hear Your Good News. The Ship Is Magnificent And You Will Have A Wonderfull Time!!! However I Will Never Understand Why Cunard Treats Everyone So Poorly. It Seems No Matter Who You Talk To There Is A Sad Story By So Many People When Booking With Cunard. Enjoy AnD Bonvoyage Jim

2Moose:

Thanks for the kudos. I agree that Cunard has a lot to learn (one would think they would know by now!) about treating their customers well. They certainly put us through the wringer on this booking. Hopefully our experience on the QM II will be positive enough to overcome some of the bad feelings we've had towards them.

And thank you so very much once again for all your good suggestions and advice....it has been MUCH appreciated!!

Intlflyer

• 2 months later...
.... I agree that Cunard has a lot to learn (one would think they would know by now!) about treating their customers well....

I agree too after having the most frustrating conversation with the guest relations this afternoon and have gotten nowhere. It seems that Cunard has an iron policy that could do no wrong and that customers are not to be believed. They wouldn't even listen to logic. :mad:

(When I asked to speak to a supervisor, the reply was. "I AM the supervisor. So there you go.")

Anyway, I would very much like to write Cunard a constructive feedback letter regarding my unpleasant experience dealing with the guest relations (do they even care?), but do not know to whom and to where. Can someone here please help?

(In the meantime, I will also copy the letter to ombudsman @ Conde Nast.)

Thanks in advance.

susan

Archived