Vancouver for 1st Time Cruisers?

We are traveling to Alaska on the New Holland Zuiderdam on June 9th of this year, and our schedule prior looks like this:

Fly into Bellingham, WA, take the quick shuttle at 12:55, arrive at the Comfort Inn in downtown Vancouver at 15:45.

With the rest of the afternoon/evening, and the morning before our cruise departs, what do you suggest we do in order to see the most of Vancouver in the short amount of time? We were debating on whether the HOHO trolley would be worth the money, as my cousin and I are traveling with our 80 year old grandparents, so walking around a ton is not an option.

Also, any good places to eat Seafood in downtown Vancouver?

Thanks in advance for any help!

We are traveling to Alaska on the New Holland Zuiderdam on June 9th of this year, and our schedule prior looks like this:

Fly into Bellingham, WA, take the quick shuttle at 12:55, arrive at the Comfort Inn in downtown Vancouver at 15:45.

With the rest of the afternoon/evening, and the morning before our cruise departs, what do you suggest we do in order to see the most of Vancouver in the short amount of time? We were debating on whether the HOHO trolley would be worth the money, as my cousin and I are traveling with our 80 year old grandparents, so walking around a ton is not an option.

Also, any good places to eat Seafood in downtown Vancouver?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Remember that for a pickup at BLI, you need to phone Quick Shuttle in advance. It's an on-call pickup only.

The HoHos will give a nice view of the downtown, but really just stick to the downtown core; however you'll get a good view of Stanley Park.

Lots of great places for seafood. "C" jumps to mind, as well as the Fishhouse at Stanley Park.

Are you just staying the night and heading for the ship the next day? HOHO - you don't have to get off - but how late does it run - many of the attractions are fairly close to each other - if it is a nice sunny day - just taking the HOHO to Stanley Park and seeing the views can be worth the money - you hotel is located smack in the middle of our entertainment district so expect some street noise if it a weekend stay.

I am not a big seafood fan - other than fish and chips - so not the best at suggesting places but Joe Fortes and the Fish House are two that come to mind - if you grandparents can walk a few walks the first one is walkable - the second one would need a short taxi ride.

Other locals will be along with their suggestions - hope you enjoy our city and have a great cruise.

Cheers

Dennis

I am a big fan of the HOHOs but given their hours of operation and your arrival time they wont be effective for you. I would consider a bus ride down Granville St. to Waterfront station and a transfer to the SeaBus across the harbour to Lonsdale Quay and its Public Market. In the morning Vancouver Tours offers an excursion which is very popular with cruisers, they pick you & your luggage up at your hotel, conduct the tour and then deliver you to Canada Place for boarding your ship.

As for seafood restaurants I would recommend Cordova's, the Fish House in Stanley Park, the Boathouse on English Bay and Joe Fortes. The first three would require a mini-van cab for the 4 of you.

http://www.vancouvertours.com/pre-cruise-vancouver-city-tour

http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/home.html

http://www.boathouserestaurants.ca/vancouver-restaurant-locations.php

http://www.fishhousestanleypark.com/

www.joefortes.ca/

Another recommendation for C. Hands-down the best seafood in downtown is Blue Water IMO, but expect to pay accordingly. If you're more into cooked than raw I find the fish dishes (especially Sturgeon & Halibut) are just as good in Hawksworth for ~75% the price of BW. Nobody can beat BWs raw bar though.

"I would recommend Cordova's"

Haven't heard of that one - perhaps you mean Cardero's.

Cheers

Dennis

And it's funny, I was at Cardero's (aka Cordova's) for lunch on Wednesday...oh well I did get the link correct.;)

Archived