Need help with a decision

Ok, we are booked on the Destiny, leaving Saturday :D. And we can't decide on what to do... Go on a stingray snorkel excursion in Jamaica and just catch a cab to the beach in Ohco Rios, or do the turtle farm in Ohco Rios and maybe beach in Jamaica??? I've heard lots of warnings about going off on your own in Jamacia so that makes me nervous, but I've also heard that the beach in Ohco Rios is beautiful??? What to do... Boy I love these kinds of tough decisions

I'm not aware of a Turtle Farm or Stingray Snorkeling in Jamaica and Ocho Rios is in Jamaica so you may be getting Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman mixed up. The Turtle Farm on Grand Cayman is OK, but the Stingray Snorkeling is outstanding! I would defiantly do the Stingrays if you haven't done it before.

The vendors and panhandlers in Jamaica are aggressive as are the Pot dealers. Other than that you shouldn't have a problem as long as you stay in the touristy areas. We took a private tour of the island and didn't really feel any threat.

The beaches in Jamaica are great. If you don't want to take a ships tour there are plenty of tour operators at the port. Just make sure you get one of the licensed companies inside the port and be careful about the independent operates outside the port with cheaper prices.

Yep, I got mixed up, grand caymans for the turtles and Ohco rios in Jamaica ..oops.. Maybe we will stick with the stingrays in jamaca instead of wandering off alone.. See that's why I love this board!! You guys know everything .

Yep, I got mixed up, grand caymans for the turtles and Ohco rios in Jamaica ..oops.. Maybe we will stick with the stingrays in jamaca instead of wandering off alone.. See that's why I love this board!! You guys know everything .

You're confused again. The stingrays are in Grand Cayman. If you want to go to a beach in Jamaica, just use the one at Margaritaville.

The Stingrays are in Grand Cayman too.

There is a couple of great excursions in Jamaica. Dunns River Falls is a lot of fun, a little bit athletic but we were with some 70 year olds that made it to the top. There is also a spot near the ship to Zip Line and ride the Jamaican bob sleds.

Wow with 2 days before I leave I best get my act together!!! Ok, stingrays in caymans, margaritiville in jamaica .. Ugh. Moby dick tours in the caymans?? Are they good?? And just a cab to the beach in jamaica??

The beach a Margaretaville is smallish, but you can easily walk to it. It's right next to the port but you have to leave the port walk up the road and come back down through the touristy shops to Margaretaville then pay to use the beach. Turn right just before you get to the main road and follow the landscaped sidewalks. That area is a nice mixture of local crafts, dancers, and such with the regular cruise port type shops. Well protected too.

You can see other beaches further down to the left of the port. They are mostly controlled by the hotels and resorts but I believe you can get day passes and beach chairs etc. As you said, a taxi driver should be able to pick out one that meets your preferences.

Well me and the hubby need to sit down tonite and decide on something. I really like beaches!! Decisions decisions

One thing we do for short cruises is get a beach hotel in Florida the night before and sometimes the night after the cruise. Then we have one or two beach days in Florida and can do other excursions in port.

When we have been to Jamaica Montego Bay in the past we loved doing the Zip Line through Carnival and although I think the best time we had was when we went through Sunset Beach all inclusive and they had a nice water park and beach. All the food and liquor you wanted and it was not crowded at all. It was cheaper than the beach excursions booked on Carnival if i remember correct. Very short cab ride and the best time we have had in Jamaica.

If your set on a beach day seven mile beach in Grand Cayman is beautiful or Royal palms, if you want to do Sting Rays you can book with discount excursions when you get to Grand Cayman for less than the cruise excursion, Have you looked at the Bamboo beach excursion thru Carnival for Jamaica, It's a beach day with food and drinks included....By the way I have not done any of these excursions, got the info from research off CC.:D Whatever you decide enjoy your cruise.:)

OP, quick email Native Way Water Sports in Grand Cayman. You can do the stingrays and go to the beach. Pick the Rays/Reef/Rum point excursion. It is a blast. Sooo much fun.

Dunn River Falls is not that hard. I am over 50 and have done it twice. There is also a beach there. You do not have to climb the falls. You can just watch from the side and take the steps down to the beach.

We did Moby Dick tours in Grand Cayman to see the stingrays and it was great. There was around 15 of us and Carnival's tour had around 150. Then they took us to another spot to snorkel. Would use them again, they were great. Seven Mile Beach is wonderful. You can walk off the ship and catch a van taxi right to the beach. I think it was $4 per person each way. And there is always taxis to take you back to the ship. Grand Cayman is my favorite cruise port. We went to Margaritaville in Jamaica and it was dead. I walked out on the beach and was hassled right away. We did the Bamboo Beach Day on different cruise and enjoyed it very much. Hope you have a great trip.

Thanks for the info.. We decided on Captain Marvins, I can't wait.. We may think about the beach in Ohco Rios?? Maybe if we do we will look into bamboo beach??? Or we may just relax and enjoy ourself and not worry about an excursion.

Archived