Traveling with someone else's kid...

ok this is actually for a land trip...but could apply for a cruise.. and

I figure some of my CC friends may have had experience with this...

If I am leaving the state with a minor who is NOT mine...

( with her family's blessing ofcourse! )

Do I need a medical release...? Like an authorization signed by them for me to have her treated if she gets sick or injured?

I wondered if something happened if a hospital or ER would treat her if I am not her legal guardian?

Google "Minor consent for to travel without both parents" and there is a PDF that comes up from a travel company. When I google it, it's the first one that comes up. It has a medical release portion to it. I will be using this when we take our son's friend with us in December.

I wondered if something happened if a hospital or ER would treat her if I am not her legal guardian?

a medical release paper that is notarized should allow all decisions be made by you since the parents are not present.

Without that notarized form no one will even look at the child

Google "Minor consent for to travel without both parents" and there is a PDF that comes up from a travel company. When I google it, it's the first one that comes up. It has a medical release portion to it. I will be using this when we take our son's friend with us in December.

This is what my SIL gave us when taking our niece on vacation last year along with her insurance card

If you are leaving the country (to Mexico, Canada, etc) you might also want a notized letter signed by both parents letting you take the child. We did this when friend of our daughters joined us on a cruise.

Paul

Archived