Soda Card, Worth it or Not?

MelissaS

I know this has been asked before, but I am looking for some fresh opinions. My friend and I are going on the Valor on 7/31. She is a die hard diet soda drinker. She probably goes through 5 or 6 cans a day. I plan on bringing on a case to get my soda fix, but would she be a good candidate for a soad card? Thanks!

Melissa

If she drinks that much soda a day, then yes, I would say she is a candidate, LOL.. keep in mind with the soda card, they will just put it in a cup... they won't give you cans or bottles...

Guest Time2gocruzn

No. Don't do it. Tell her to bring her own. Here is what I posted in my review about the soda card...

I am a diet coke addict, SO I though I would buy the soda card for myself...big mistake. You can only get pop at the bars, which do not open till 9am, which is not good for me as coke is like my coffee in the AM. When you go to the bar, I am not sure what the deal is, but every bartender seemed REALLY slow to me. I mean I have been in a lot of bars in my time and have seen some bartenders really sling the drinks, but these bartenders were always slow, no matter how many people were waiting! So AFTER I waited for the bartenders to make everyone's drink I would show my card. EVERY time I got a pop they would fill a rather small glass up ALL THE WAY with ice (everytime, every bar, every bartender). Then they pour your pop out of a can, which the glass you get full of ice only holds about half a can. What do they do with the other half of the can you ask? Well they leave it open, sitting behind the bar until the next person comes along who wants that same kind of pop. Many times I got a flat pop. No they wouldn't give me the rest of the can, and no they wouldn't let me have more than one glass at a time. Had I of tried to get as much pop as I wanted or as much as I usually drink, it would have been a full time project on this ship. Next time bringing my own..what a hassle and a waste of $50. Now I see how they make their $$ on the soda card.:rolleyes:

at bars they will only give you a cup...you can ask for ice in a seperate cup so you actually get more (if you are not staying at the bar)...and at shows i have asked for a can & the waiter did bring one. i have also brought soda on board with me - i drink caffeine free which is never available - and no one has ever said a word

No. Don't do it. Tell her to bring her own. Here is what I posted in my review about the soda card...

Which would mean she would have to bring 2 cases on the ship... hopefully she would have someone really really nice... as 2 cases is definitely beyond what I would call a "reasonable" amount to bring on...

Guest Time2gocruzn
Which would mean she would have to bring 2 cases on the ship... hopefully she would have someone really really nice... as 2 cases is definitely beyond what I would call a "reasonable" amount to bring on...

Yes I did the math, as did she I am sure. But I think it would be possible to bring some and budget for some if she didn't want to bring that much. I would call Carnival and ask what they consider a reasonable amount. If it is less than what you want to take, then just get creative, lol. If people can sneak on multiple bottles of alcohol and cases of beer, I am sure you can figure out how to bring soda. I have heard of people bringing rolling coolers for goodness sake, is there a designated person at the gate that counts the cans in the cooler? LOL.

I just got back from a cruise on the Sensation, and had a soda card. I didn't have any trouble using it, and all the bartenders I dealt with were very friendly and quick in getting my drinks. I would also take my husbands card, and they never questioned giving me two. The drink waiter at dinner would automatically bring us our sodas as soon as we got to the table, and would deliver a refill without us asking!! Personally, I would rather run over to a bar to get a soda, then have to go back to the room, or carry multiple cans up on deck, not to mention trying to keep them cold.

I was very happy using the card, but never tried before 9:00 a.m., so I can't speak to that.

Have a great cruise!!

I just came off the Carnival Legend and in the past have bought the soda card ... but with the price they have brought it up to ... I passed this time. I am a diehard diet coke drinker too. Like usual... I did bring some on board with me. Instead of carrying it.... I put 3 twelve packs in a duffle bag and a 6 pack of water in a duffle bag and put it through checked luggage at the pier. It was delivered to my cabin with my other luggage. It worked great!

Hi there, my hubby bought a soda card on our cruise and it worked out fine :)

He's a big time cola drinker so we knew he'd have no problems with wasted money. For the dilemma of bars opening at 9am, we brought on a couple of 6-packs of the little 8 oz cokes and just stuck them on ice first thing in the morning. They were nice and cold in about 10-15 minutes and he got his fix! ;)

It wasn't that heavy in the suitcase and we literally drank the last can on the morning of debarkation.

hope that helps!

MelissaS,

We have done it both ways, if you get the soda card either buy or bring one of those big thermal mugs and have them fill that for you. I brought a 6 pack of 16 oz bottles, just carried them in a bag and had no problem.:)

For our upcoming cruise I have rolling cooler that I use for my DD softball tournaments which I will take on board:D

I am also a (diet) coke addict and I had a hard time getting my money's worth out of the soda card. I took a case on board with a rolling cooler because I HAVE to have a cold diet coke as soon as I wake up. No one speaks to me until my caffeine level is back up where it belongs, I am not a "morning person". Anyway, I didn't drink as much soda as I thought I would or when I wanted one I wasn't near a bar. I did notice there were coke machines on each floor, I think they were 1.75 each can. Next time I will take along a case of cokes and supplement if necessary with the ones out of the machine or in case of extreme caffeine emergency I'll go for one of the bottles left in the room.

Guest Time2gocruzn
I am also a (diet) coke addict and I had a hard time getting my money's worth out of the soda card. I took a case on board with a rolling cooler because I HAVE to have a cold diet coke as soon as I wake up. No one speaks to me until my caffeine level is back up where it belongs, I am not a "morning person". Anyway, I didn't drink as much soda as I thought I would or when I wanted one I wasn't near a bar. I did notice there were coke machines on each floor, I think they were 1.75 each can. Next time I will take along a case of cokes and supplement if necessary with the ones out of the machine or in case of extreme caffeine emergency I'll go for one of the bottles left in the room.

LOL...ahh the things we go thru for our habit. :D :D

I haven't looked at the schedule for the Valor, but I'd bring enough to get through to one of the ports. I drink Coke and found that most stores in port carry Coke products (more $$ than home, but less than ship). We've actually bought beer and soda in port a few times and brought it back on ship without question.

Yikes! I just can't imagine drinking as much soda as the OP's cruisemate...we have bought soda cards in the past but I really don't think they are worth the money. We drink a lot of water, I like tea..hot or iced and hubby and kids really love lemonade so there you have it...just not worth it for us.

MelissaS,

We have done it both ways, if you get the soda card either buy or bring one of those big thermal mugs and have them fill that for you. I brought a 6 pack of 16 oz bottles, just carried them in a bag and had no problem.:)

For our upcoming cruise I have rolling cooler that I use for my DD softball tournaments which I will take on board:D

I have seen several post about bringing a big thermal mug. If you take it to the bar with your soda card will they fill the mug up with 2+ cans of soda for you. We are leaving in 20 days!:D

I dont drink soda, but Im curious. If you bring on a "reasonable amount" say enough to last you 2 days...do they prorate the soda card if you buy it on the 3rd day of the cruise??

No they do not-- its the price of the whole cruise--so if you decide on wed on a 7 day cruise you want a soda card you are out that money.

If I bring my favorite thermal mug (32 oz) I can have it filled with the soda card?

We are taking our first cruise on Holiday in July.

Originally I was just planning on bringing a couple of 12 packs & drink tea or water the rest of the time.

One thought to the OP. Bring enough soda on board at check-in to last until your first port of call then buy more then. This will keep you from having to haul that much soda on the first day. I do this with bottled water. I like the smaller bottles and Carnival only has those larger ones.

I'm a pop addict too......but even I say NO WAY on the soda card. I don't like watered down pop.....and when I did get soda pop from the bar, it always tasted different.

I brought some PEPSI on board with me. Last time, I just brought a few.

A year ago, I tried to bring more than a few and Carnival would not allow me to bring that much (I can't remember how much, but it wasn't THAT much!)......They kept it at the check in (security point) and said I could claim it on the way home if I chose to do so. Which I did not.

What I SHOULD have said was I'm bringing pop for ALL FIVE people in our party......THEN, I think they would have allowed me to bring more than they did!

As it was, they counted it that I was bringing on pop for myself........ONLY....... (hint....hint....hint!!!)

Last time I packed PEPSI, I sent it through in my luggage inside a soft side cooler. THEN, when I got to the room, I filled the cooler with ice.....I did have the entire inside contents (cans/bottles & ICE) in a plastic ziploc bag because this cooler can tend to leak a little.

Whenever we went into ports, I made sure I bought a couple-few more Pepsis in each city.......either from a machine or convenience type store.

Also, to supplement my caffeine fix, I ordered a CAN

of COKE from CARNIVAL sometimes....in the dining room or on the deck, etc....it was worth it to me to spend the $ to get an entire can or bottle!!!

NOTE: DITTO for bottled water......we took some on board and had enough for each port day, per person. Saved a few $ that way! :)

No they do not-- its the price of the whole cruise--so if you decide on wed on a 7 day cruise you want a soda card you are out that money.

Question asked if soda cards were prorated if you bought it after day one.

On the Paradise last September, DW asked me to get her a card on day 2 of a 4 day cruise. I remember that the price was lower, as the bartender had a little trouble getting the right price figured out. I'm not sure if the card saved me any money or not, but it made Momma happy.

We brought one of those slim Rubbermaid coolers (fit about 18 sodas) and also a smaller cooler (fit 6 sodas) on board with us and "checked" them when we embarked. Also brought a 12 pack of bottled water. Not one problem, not one question. I brought home about 12 sodas. There is so much to drink on the ship that's included; lemonade, fruit punch, iced tea, various juices, water, coffee, hot tea. I found I did not miss the soda at all and I love my diet coke. We bought 1 soda card to split amongst our party of 5 (yes, the Carnival rep told us to do it when we checked in). They don't ask for the card, they just glance at it. Even with the 5 of us sharing it, I don't think we used it enough to justify the cost.

Archived