Help! Infomation needed regarding Young Adult Travelers!

Hello -

My DH and I are booked on the Legend of the Seas over Thanksgiving. We are taking DH's daughter who will be 19 years of age. We already are booked and she has an inside cabin directly across from our outside cabin. ;) My question is this: At 19 years of age what types of documents should we have with us. She will have a valid passport. Do we need any other documentation. She lives with her mother.

Also she may have a friend come along who would also be 19 or 20 years of age. Aside from a valid passport or certified copy of birth certificate. What else would we need for her?

Thanks for all your help this is a new world for us! Only the second opportunity for a family vacation and the first cruise for her!

At age 19, she is no longer a minor, so any authorization for travel from the custodial parent would not be necessary. Just her valid passport is all you need.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

However, I highly recommend you get a notarized letter from the friend's parents stating that you may authorize medical treatment (Heaven forbid) or anything else. 19 may be considered an adult here, but RCI has their own rules. Also, you must discuss the wine and beer issue with the friend's parents before you go. As her guardians of record for the cruise, you will be the ones to decide whether to sign the waiver allowing either of the girls to purchase beer and wine because you will be responsible for their behavior (not saying they will have a problem, just that it's best to plan for whatever might happen). If the friend's parents do not want her to have beer/wine priviledges, please abide by that--even if it means that neither young woman is allowed to drink.

Otherwise, since your DH's daughter is of legal age (regarding any "custody" issues), you will not need any permission from her mother to take her out of the country.

Have a great cruise.

beachchick

You mention that her cabin is across the hall from yours and that she may have a friend of similar age join her on the cruise -- beware that at check-in RCCL has the right to deny boarding if there is not someone age 25 (??) or older booked in the cabin. Perhaps you've already considered this...when we travel in adjoining cabins with our kids, my husband's name is on one cabin with our son and my name is on the other cabin with our daughter...no problem with the key-situation since whenever we do 2 cabins we do adjoining...

We just booked a balcony for DH and myself and a PR across the hall for the kids. My nephew is 19 and the RCCL representative told me that an adults name had to be on the other reservation. They also told me his passport was all he needed in the form of identification. I am divorced and have cruised with my son and have not needed a letter from my ex-husband in the past.

Thank you for all your help! I was thinking along the same lines as you all but , well, first time stepmom...

And if anyone has any ideas about rules, suggestions, directives, guidelines about introducing our daughter to the cruise world I would most appreciate any help what-so-ever. Cruising I KNOW, teenagers not so much!

Be aware that your step-daughter and her friend will be able to drink (beer and wine only) and gamble on board. You should think about this and discuss your feelings about it with your step-daughter and her friend before you are on board. Keep in mind that you can limit their spending by using cash to set up their onboard account. (I think you have to put $200 down up front). That way they can't spend $1500 each on coronas and slot machines before you figure out what's going on.

Also make sure that they understand that they should take normal precautions to remain safe. (Everyone, I'm not trying to make her paranoid - these are valid points anytime and anywhere you are out at night):

Don't go into another pax cabin

Stick together late at night, especially if they have been drinking

Don't hesitate to alert a staff or crew member if anyone is bothering them

Don't leave your drink unattended and don't take a drink from anyone but the bartender.

I'm sure they'll have a blast, especially if you are up front about your expectations.

Call the cruise line directly to find out there rules for young travelers!! We had a friend(19 yrs old)of my daughters go with us in December, we had to get a paper sent to us by the cruise line for her parents to sign and return to them before they would allow her to cruise.

Be aware that your step-daughter and her friend will be able to drink (beer and wine only) and gamble on board. You should think about this and discuss your feelings about it with your step-daughter and her friend before you are on board. Keep in mind that you can limit their spending by using cash to set up their onboard account. (I think you have to put $200 down up front). That way they can't spend $1500 each on coronas and slot machines before you figure out what's going on.

Also make sure that they understand that they should take normal precautions to remain safe. (Everyone' date=' I'm not trying to make her paranoid - these are valid points anytime and anywhere you are out at night):

Don't go into another pax cabin

Stick together late at night, especially if they have been drinking

Don't hesitate to alert a staff or crew member if anyone is bothering them

Don't leave your drink unattended and don't take a drink from anyone but the bartender.

I'm sure they'll have a blast, especially if you are up front about your expectations.[/quote']

Technically, they will not be allowed any alcohol unless the parents (that is the ones traveling with the girls) sign a waiver allowing them to drink beer and wine. The parents traveling with them will be responsible for the girls' behavior and anything that results from it. (Yes, I do know that some bartenders aren't so good about enforcing it and that older guys will be more than happy to get drinks for two 19 year old young women--definitely talk to them about.)

beachchick

Thank you again everyone for taking the time to help me. Fortunately for us alcohol will not be an issue. Our daughter is SO not interested in any of that! Now the expensive non alcoholic foo-foo drinks, now that's what will grab her attention! But then her sea card account will be paid for by her credit card, I imagine I will just have to give a few gently reminders on how fast it all adds up!

Better yet (although reminders about how costs add up quickly is a good idea) is to have her check her Seapass charges every night (you can do it on the interactive function of the in-cabin TV). That should get the message home--if she sees how high her bill will be, she will probably be more careful with her charges. Great lesson for a young adult just "getting" it about how credit works.

Have a great cruise.

beachchick

Archived