Diamond Head Tour

mprcruiser

We will be in Honolulu in November, 2012. I am looking for a tour that will pick us up at the port and take us to Diamond Head for the climb up and down. We only want to do the climb. All of the ones I have found only pick up at hotels.

Thanks

mprcruiser

You don't need a tour.

Can take the bus ($2.5), then climb up/down at your own pace. After that stroll around Waikiki before getting back to the ship.

Or take a taxi, or rent a car.

People advise going early, before it gets hot and more crowded.

We will be in Honolulu in November, 2012. I am looking for a tour that will pick us up at the port and take us to Diamond Head for the climb up and down. We only want to do the climb. All of the ones I have found only pick up at hotels.

Thanks

mprcruiser

Not aware of any tours. We visited Hawaii in November and made the climb around 8:00 or 9:00am. As Middleager mentioned the bus or cab is a good option. We saw a lot of people show up in cabs. When they finished the climb up and back down, they just caught a cab back that just dropped someone off.

BTW, Here's the reward you get for the nice climb up....

P1010336.jpg

P1010335.jpg

P1010334.jpg

Spectacular pictures..............we're planning on doing it as soon as it opens in June (6am)..........cabbing it from the hotel & back before we board the POA.

Not aware of any tours. We visited Hawaii in November and made the climb around 8:00 or 9:00am. As Middleager mentioned the bus or cab is a good option. We saw a lot of people show up in cabs. When they finished the climb up and back down, they just caught a cab back that just dropped someone off.

BTW, Here's the reward you get for the nice climb up....

P1010336.jpg

P1010335.jpg

P1010334.jpg

Great pictures. Thanks for including them. We will either take a cab or bus to Diamond Head. Since this will be our third visit to Honolulu, the Diamond Head hike will be the only sightseeing thing we do. Thanks again for the responses.

The OP said that he/she was going to be picked up at the port. I took a cab from my Waikiki hotel to the port. It was over $20. So the OP is looking at a $25 - 30 cab fare...

I am assuming that you are getting off the cruise and dropping off your luggage before heading to Diamond head.... :rolleyes:

I took a cab from my Waikiki hotel to the port. It was over $20.

Thanks for posting the taxi fare from Waikiki..............I was wondering how much it was going to cost. Good to factor in !

The OP said that he/she was going to be picked up at the port. I took a cab from my Waikiki hotel to the port. It was over $20. So the OP is looking at a $25 - 30 cab fare...

I am assuming that you are getting off the cruise and dropping off your luggage before heading to Diamond head.... :rolleyes:

No, actually, we will be in Honolulu for the day. Our cruise leaves from San Diego, cruises over to Hawaii, and then cruises back to San Diego so our luggage will stay on the ship.

You don't need a tour.

Can take the bus ($2.5), then climb up/down at your own pace. After that stroll around Waikiki before getting back to the ship.

Or take a taxi, or rent a car.

People advise going early, before it gets hot and more crowded.

Thanks for this info! This is probably what we will do in Honolulu in November. And thanks to Jack300s for the great photos! :)

This is a great hike. Here's everything you'd want to know about it: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/hikediamondhead.html

Typically, tours and cabs just drop folks off at the parking entrance ("D" on the map) then make you pay $1 each to walk in, so they don't have to pay the entrance fee for the vehicle.

I agree with others. If you have time, take a bus. You will need to transfer once. You can get specific routes and times at thebus.org. Here is a link to one example leaving at noon from Aloha Tower: https://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&f=d&sll=21.485018778417395,-157.96966552734375&sspn=0.732868,1.450195&saddr=Aloha+tower&daddr=diamond+head&date=5/14&time=12:01pm&ttype=dep&dirflg=r. Total time from point to point is about 1 hour due to the transfer. You'll shave about 30 minutes off the time if you take a cab.

• 1 month later...

About five years ago I did the climb to the top. The view and picture opportunities are great. We are going again in February and will probably do it again. My wife almost made it to the top but is a bit claustophobic and would not crawl through and up the last tunnel. Anyone else have the same situation?

• 2 weeks later...
About five years ago I did the climb to the top. The view and picture opportunities are great. We are going again in February and will probably do it again. My wife almost made it to the top but is a bit claustophobic and would not crawl through and up the last tunnel. Anyone else have the same situation?

There is an alternative stairway.................we were there this June. When you get to the last "steep" stairway to the "tunnel", there is another more user friendly stairway - to the left, easier climb. That's what we did.

GO EARLY, EARLY! It get quite crowded and could be hot (at least in the summer months).

Smitty,

You'll find all your answers, and a detailed map of the hike, here:

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/hikediamondhead.html

This is the best site I have seen sofar with photos and maps. We printed it out to have with us when we go. We plan catching a cab over from the hotel, do our hike and then taking our time and walking back to the hotel after. Our "excercise" for the day. :)

Originally Posted by CaribbeanBound

Smitty,

You'll find all your answers, and a detailed map of the hike, here:

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/hikediamondhead.html

Thank you for the link to that great site. I'm not sure if I'm in the worst shape category or somewhere in between, but I'm willing to give it "the old college try". It would be nice to bring home a certificate that says I made it to the top. My adult children may be impressed.

Gem:)

Archived