OV GTY Booked

Hi,

I booked a OV Guarantee yesterday for the LOS August 4th Sailing out of Barcelona, and checked my booking today and have been surprised to find I have already been allocated #2246 which I'm not overjoyed about. I understand there's a risk with booking a GTY.

My question is, will my cabin change between now and boarding? I'm a Diamond if that helps? Any idea what RCCL will say if I call them and ask to be moved?

Thanks in advance!

The only move they will make is to another open cabin in the same category in which you have been placed, which is Cat I. Those cabins are only on deck 2 so your choices would be limited to that deck.

You can always pay to upgrade to something else, or you can maybe ask to be put back in the pool, but you might get the same cabin again.

One of the realities of taking a guarantee is that you need to be able to accept whatever you get, which can very likely be the lowest level in the category and perhaps one of the less desirable cabins.

I'm assuming you paid less for the OV guarantee than you would have if you'd picked a cabin? That is the risk of guarantee bookings.

ETA: It looks like you paid $300/pp less than booking into the Cat I cabins directly, which is a nice savings. There are a number of Cat I cabins still available, so if you'd like something more mid ship, maybe see if you can switch to 2634 or 2328, which are more mid ship and near the mid elevators. I was booked in Cat G cabins on deck 3 right around the mid ship elevators (3636 and 3634) on Freedom and thought the location was great.

As njmom said, you could ask to move to another category I cabin, if that will help.

Being Diamond does not seem to help at all with gty assignments...I suppose you have a chance of an C & A upgrade, but do not hold your breath...many of us are waiting for our first visit from the elusive upgrade fairy.

You could ask them to throw you back in the pool, but I am not sure you will get them to do it. You could pay for an upgrade. I suppose depending upon pricing and any possible cancellation penalties (country and TA dependent), you could also cancel your current reservation, make a new one and hope for a different assignment, but you might well end up back in category I... I hear deck two is quiet and many people like it. Is it just the forward location you dislike? If so, that can be traded away...the easiest solution.

I experienced something similar with my upcoming Allure cruise. I was in an interior cabin and prices dropped on all categories so I called and got an upgrade to an OV guarantee for no extra cost. I received a category I cabin which I had been hoping not to get as they are only on deck 3. I did however call and asked to switch to a better cabin on the same deck in the same category which was granted. As of today, category I is GTY only and there are only two other OV cabins left in other categories, yet the GTY category Y is still selling for the same price that I paid. Kind of wish I had waited to upgrade but oh well.

Archived