Alaska Review on the Carnival Spirit

Nice review! My wife and I went last June and I have never seen land so beautiful and tranquil. The highlight of our trip was indeed going through Tracy Arm Fjord. Everywhere you look there are waterfalls coming down the mountains and the color of the water was a beautiful blue/green.

Do a quick google image search of it and even though the pictures do not do it full justice, it is still beautiful to see in pics.

In June the temps are much different than May so I would believe "most" of the snow will be replaced by beautiful flowers on the train ride at Skagway.

The last highlight that sticks out was seeing numerous bald eagles and whales out their in their own element.

And of course we went dogsledding in Juneau which was great to do as the dogs were training for the Iditarod.

I wish I could do an entire review of last years trip

Thanks for the review! We just booked Spirit to Alaska in August and I'm reading every word I can find! You are certainly a wonderful photographer...and with subjects as adorable as your kids it makes the pics even better!

Wanna post a few more hundred!?!?!?! Thanks~

Great review. I was on the cruise with you. I remember seeing your son with his Capt. hat. You kids are very cute.

I didn't know what to expect in Glacier Bay either. I went to the park website and there is a video that explains what will happen and what you will see. We also got a different map in our stateroom. I went up to the lido and got a current map. The ranger said because the Spirit only goes there twice a year we had an outdated map.

Did you wait in line long in Vancouver? We got in line around the same time you did. I thought the wait was long but because we had VIP boarding we didn't wait once we were past customs.

I wanted to do the B2B too and found out on cruise critic that it was a violation of the Jones Act. Sounds like it was a good thing since the ship went through some very rough seas.

We also enjoyed the train ride. I am glad we waited until the afternoon.

Thank you for your sweet comments! We had to wait a little while in that first line to go thru security. Then got pulled into another line for the Customs and it took less than 5 minutes for us. We had VIP boarding also which was a definite plus.

There was a man on the last night walking by a table I was on and told the dealer good bye. The dealer was telling us that the man and his wife were on the ship for the 15 day Hawaii, 3 Day San Diego to Vancouver than our 7 Day Alaska!!! So who knows about that Jones Act. Or maybe he was not a US citizen, but sure did look and sound like one!

Thanks for the review! We just booked Spirit to Alaska in August and I'm reading every word I can find! You are certainly a wonderful photographer...and with subjects as adorable as your kids it makes the pics even better!

Wanna post a few more hundred!?!?!?! Thanks~

Thank you Patti!! Kids are so much fun to photograph thanks to all the express they give. Have a fabulous time in Alaska and aboard the Spirit!!!!

Nice review! My wife and I went last June and I have never seen land so beautiful and tranquil. The highlight of our trip was indeed going through Tracy Arm Fjord. Everywhere you look there are waterfalls coming down the mountains and the color of the water was a beautiful blue/green.

Do a quick google image search of it and even though the pictures do not do it full justice, it is still beautiful to see in pics.

In June the temps are much different than May so I would believe "most" of the snow will be replaced by beautiful flowers on the train ride at Skagway.

The last highlight that sticks out was seeing numerous bald eagles and whales out their in their own element.

And of course we went dogsledding in Juneau which was great to do as the dogs were training for the Iditarod.

I wish I could do an entire review of last years trip

The next time we go on a cruise to Alaska we want to try another month, most likely June or July. This time I wanted to experience the cold of Alaska (not winter cold lol). Plus now that I've been to Glacier Bay my next in line will be Tracy Arm.

Reviews are wonderful to read and keep people who are over 300 days out till their next cruise entertained!

Yes I have all of them. Message me your email and I'll send them over!! It may take a day or two though.... I'm going to try and knock out some of this review first.

If you have the time I would really love a copy of the "funtimes"!

scdm@charter.net

Thanks!

Love reading your review it has helped alot!

We have been on multiple Caribbean cruises but this is our first Alaska cruise (May 29) and we are taking my parents for their 50th Anniversary. They are bombarding me with questions and I don't really have the answers so anyone please help!

• What do most people wear to dinner on non-formal nights? Particularly the women. Men, I assume khaki or jeans with button-up shirt?
  • We have a day at sea and a day through Tracy Arm...just casual lounging around the ship clothes?
  • Does anyone know what night is formal nights? We are taking short cocktail dresses and/or long black flowy pants. Men suits, do most guys wear jacket on formal night or any with just shirt & tie?

Thanks in advance!

Love reading your review it has helped alot!

We have been on multiple Caribbean cruises but this is our first Alaska cruise (May 29) and we are taking my parents for their 50th Anniversary. They are bombarding me with questions and I don't really have the answers so anyone please help!

• What do most people wear to dinner on non-formal nights? Particularly the women. Men, I assume khaki or jeans with button-up shirt?
  • We have a day at sea and a day through Tracy Arm...just casual lounging around the ship clothes?
  • Does anyone know what night is formal nights? We are taking short cocktail dresses and/or long black flowy pants. Men suits, do most guys wear jacket on formal night or any with just shirt & tie?

Thanks in advance!

I'm glad you enjoyed my review.

Women, like my mom wore capri pants and a nice blouse to dinner in the mdr on non-formal nights. DH and Dad wore shorts and t-shirt or khaki shorts and a collared tee (Dad did his golf shirt).

On your sea day wear whatever you all are most comfortable in. Some are in jeans while I seen a few in active pants and sweatshirts. On the tracy arm sea day you'll probably be out side snapping pics and staring at the glacier so you'll need to bundle up!

Our formal night on this sailing was night two (wednesday) and night 6 (sunday). DH wore slacks and sport coat dad wore a suit. A lot of men had jackets, suits and shirt and tie only.

My only advice would be to tell your parents to layer!

Very nice review and stunning pictures! Your kids are adorable. I wanted to do an Alaskan cruise this year, but it was not to be, so hopefully next year. Looking at the mobs of people on the lido deck, I think this would be a good cruise to splurge on my first balcony. Thanks for posting! :)

Very nice review and stunning pictures! Your kids are adorable. I wanted to do an Alaskan cruise this year, but it was not to be, so hopefully next year. Looking at the mobs of people on the lido deck, I think this would be a good cruise to splurge on my first balcony. Thanks for posting! :)

Thanks for your sweet words!!

If you do an Alaskan cruise I would def recommend a balcony. It's nice to wake up in the morning and have a cup of coffee out there as you sail by the breathtaking scenery.

I, too, very much appreciate your review and pictures. My family(DH and DD) are going on the 7/31/12 Spirit leaving from and returning to Seattle. Would you please share your Carnival Capers/Fun Times when you get a minute? My email is franceg@Missouri.edu. Thank you much and, again, thank you for taking the time to share your and your family's trip and advice on CC!

• 1 year later...