Confused about Magic Aft Balconies

scotlady

Hi.

Planning on booking one of the aft-balconies on the magic (NOT the aft wrap balcony, though).

From looking at the deck plans, it would appear the two aft balconies in the middle would be the largest, because of the way the ship bows out at the back. But some of the posts I have read say that the balcony next to the aft wrap balcony is bigger.

Can anyone clarify for me whether balcony next to the aft wrap or balconies in the middle would be bigger?

Also:

Is there a difference in the room sizes?

Do all the aft balconies have a couch in them?

Is there an overhang that provides some shade? (we are looking at deck 7 - empress deck.)

Would appreciate any help in clearing up my confusion :confused:

The cabin you are looking at is a aft extended balcony (category 8M). What this means is that the balcony is the same width as a standard balcony. The aft extended balcony is deeper than a standard balcony. Therefore, there is not much shade. My husband and I have had the aft wrap balconies before, they are wonderful but you do need your sunglasses because you get more sun.

The balcony cabins next to the aft wraps are a different category cabin (category 8B). The balconies on these are the same depth as a standard balcony. They are just about twice the length of a standard balcony.

The aft extended balconies (category 8M) have sofas according to Carnival's website. If you go to the website and select ships & staterooms, than click on the Magic, than click on deck plans, click on deck 7, than click on a cabin at the back of the ship and this will bring up information about that cabin.

Hope this has helped you and that I did not make this too confusing to understand.

We are thinking of sailing on the Magic in November.

Hi,

We had an aft balcony this past February on the Magic. Here's a link to our pictures. The first few have pictures of the balcony (#8472).

Loved this ship, although we love the smaller class ships, too! Lots of walking when you're in an aft!

Hope this helps!

https://picasaweb.google.com/momolver/Cruise2012?authkey=Gv1sRgCJCe3prS4dnMDA

Thanks to both of you!

I had almost given up on getting an answer, since it had been several days. Cruisetexas - did you find that there was a problem with no shade and/or not enough breeze? Cruisedogs - I thought your description was very clear & helpful. Wondering about the shade issue, though. Wouldn't there still be shade if you were at the back of the balcony next to the room? Or is there something different about the overhang above these balconies, compared to the 8Bs? Do you think the 8B cabins next to the aft get more shade?

The cabin looks like a real nice size. We were on the Ecstasy last year and the only thing we didn't like is there was so little room at the end of the bed - we kept banging our shins. Also, we don't mind the walking - really need something to help work off all the extra food!

Freinds had those exact cabins next to each other last week on Empress deck. They didn't want shade and there isn't any. There were 2 chairs and a lounger plus a little table. There is not room for them all.

It has a sofa. The problem is that little bits of black stuff drop down from the smoke stack smoke onto the chairs and you will find it stuck to your clothes.

That makes these cabins a no-go. Sorry.

Thanks to both of you!

I had almost given up on getting an answer, since it had been several days. Cruisetexas - did you find that there was a problem with no shade and/or not enough breeze? Cruisedogs - I thought your description was very clear & helpful. Wondering about the shade issue, though. Wouldn't there still be shade if you were at the back of the balcony next to the room? Or is there something different about the overhang above these balconies, compared to the 8Bs? Do you think the 8B cabins next to the aft get more shade?

The cabin looks like a real nice size. We were on the Ecstasy last year and the only thing we didn't like is there was so little room at the end of the bed - we kept banging our shins. Also, we don't mind the walking - really need something to help work off all the extra food!

We have had afts several times. Now we take side ones because they are a lot cheaper.

Aft balconies do tend to stay warm- like posted-there is no breeze back there. Depending on the time of year you are looking at (summer can be bruttal since it is hot and humid.

but on a brighter side- you can always escape to the cabin if it gets too hot out there.

the 8Bs on the side have a "roof" plus ocean breezes but those balconies are narrow.

What type of cabin did you have on the Ecstasy? there really isnt that much of a difference in cabin size overall. (oceanview on the ecstasy is 220 and a balcony is 185. - oceanview takes the space that a balcony would be.

Thanks for the info. We are going in January, so hopefully, it won't be too hot!

We had a regular balcony on Ecstasy, and were pretty happy with it, except banging our shins on the bed. If they can't make more room between the cabinet & the bed, I wish they would at least pad the corners :rolleyes:

I did find some great pictures of room 8472 (the room right above ours) on cruiselinerooms. What I like about the rooms in the middle is they are longer than the other rooms, so you do have extra space in the cabin. I also like the deeper balcony, which lets you sit and stretch out your legs while looking off the back of the ship.

Still a little concerned about no breeze back there, but given the other pluses of the room, I think we'll be happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

We have aft extended balcony 7461 on the Magic booked for a cruise in July and I have some concerns. Perhaps someone can help to answer them for me.

As this is an end unit, I'm worried that it's smaller than standard. Carnival did confirm (took 2 agents to get the truth) that this cabin does NOT have a sofa. My question then was, is it smaller than standard? They said absolutely not, that the smallest cabin is 185 SQ FT and that this is a more expensive one and they wouldn't make a higher end cabin smaller.

Does anyone have photos of an end aft extended balcony cabin on the Magic? Has anyone stayed in one? Of course, the middle ones are not available.

Thanks!

Mindy

We had an aft extended balcony on the Conquest recently. Nice size balcony but we had a real problem with smokers. There is no breeze on these balconies from the ship's movement so you will need to endure the smoke and heat. Also, a number of guest seem to enjoy smoking on the stern. Our balcony was covered with ashes from these smokers.

Hi there,

We have aft extended balcony 7461 on the Magic booked for a cruise in July and I have some concerns. Perhaps someone can help to answer them for me.

As this is an end unit, I'm worried that it's smaller than standard. Carnival did confirm (took 2 agents to get the truth) that this cabin does NOT have a sofa. My question then was, is it smaller than standard? They said absolutely not, that the smallest cabin is 185 SQ FT and that this is a more expensive one and they wouldn't make a higher end cabin smaller.

Does anyone have photos of an end aft extended balcony cabin on the Magic? Has anyone stayed in one? Of course, the middle ones are not available.

Thanks!

Mindy

I am not 100% sure of the magic-- but from other ships.

the reason the cabins get no sofa is they are more narrower then the other cabins-- but these cabins are more towards the middle then the end ones.

also there is an electrical closet which the sofa will be in the way if there was one.

go to

cruise liner rooms dot com and look at the magic- (I dont see that particular cabin listed. and I did a seach-- and not found any of that cabin or the one on the other side.

The aft facing rooms next to the aft wraps have balconies that are about 50% larger than the other aft facing cabins. These are still 8M or 8N cabins. The 8B cabins are on the sides next to the aft wraps and the balconies are a lot larger but the rooms themselves have a different configuration due to the crew stairway.

Archived