Montreal on disembarkation day - what to do?

I'm disembarking in Montreal with an early evening flight and am not sure of the best way to spend my time during the day. We'd like to see some things, but will have our luggage to worry about. I thought about going directly to the airport to check our bags as soon as we disembark then doing some sightseeing, but am not sure the airline (Delta) will allow us to check our bags 10 hours before our flight.

We could do the HAL city tour with airport transfer excursion, but it would likely put us at the airport at noon when our flight isn't until after 6. I was also thinking of renting a room for the day to 'store' our luggage (we have 13 in our group), but I'm not sure if that is cost effective.

If anyone else has any good suggestions, let me know. I'd have preferred to have at least an overnight in Montreal, but someone else was doing the booking, so I'm trying to make the most of the one day we do have there.

I'm disembarking in Montreal with an early evening flight and am not sure of the best way to spend my time during the day. We'd like to see some things, but will have our luggage to worry about. I thought about going directly to the airport to check our bags as soon as we disembark then doing some sightseeing, but am not sure the airline (Delta) will allow us to check our bags 10 hours before our flight.

We could do the HAL city tour with airport transfer excursion, but it would likely put us at the airport at noon when our flight isn't until after 6. I was also thinking of renting a room for the day to 'store' our luggage (we have 13 in our group), but I'm not sure if that is cost effective.

If anyone else has any good suggestions, let me know. I'd have preferred to have at least an overnight in Montreal, but someone else was doing the booking, so I'm trying to make the most of the one day we do have there.

What are your interests? Montreal has a LOT to offer. Also what month will you be in Montreal?

We will be disembarking on July 7. We have a diverse group (5 year old to 70 year olds), so we are looking for something that would be generally interesting to the average tourist and not too extreme as we have both youngsters and oldsters who'd be limited in ability and interest in anything too exotic.

I've heard that wandering around old town might be interesting, however, we have the challenge in dealing with our luggage. I'm not sure what other sightseeing options there might be in Montreal for just a day.

Montreal is almost like two cities. Old Montreal down by the port is charming with outdoor cafes, cobblestone streets, and street performers. The port has museums and old government buildings, as well as some modern buildings with outstanding science exhibits etc. Everything is within walking distance but there are also all kind of tors. However, it is incredibly crowded on the weekends- don't know when you will be there.

The other part of Montreal is new and includes the Botanical Gardens- fantastic- and the planetarium. In addition there is Mt St. Royal with the splendid Oratory.

They are vastly different but you would have to chose one as they are not close together. You could take a double decker bus tour which would give you a glimpse of everything, but you would not really be able to "savor" any one thing. Also, both are removed from the airport so you would be hard pressed to get to the airport

Oh, I forgot about Notre Dame Cathedral in Old Montreal

I live in NY about 55 miles from Montreal so I go there often. All I can say is that if you want a European flavor, Old Montreal is your choice. But if you got enough of that in Quebec City, the modern cosmopoliton citiy of Montreal is fantastic.

Forgot to mention that their metro system is easy to use

We will be disembarking on July 7. We have a diverse group (5 year old to 70 year olds), so we are looking for something that would be generally interesting to the average tourist and not too extreme as we have both youngsters and oldsters who'd be limited in ability and interest in anything too exotic.

I've heard that wandering around old town might be interesting, however, we have the challenge in dealing with our luggage. I'm not sure what other sightseeing options there might be in Montreal for just a day.

How big is your group ? (just to get à betterave idéal for transportations logistics). You are coming at a great time to choose among many things do to. I will look up what is up around that time and get back to you. Mes white you can Google Biodome , it is within the botanical garden compound mentionned by Lulu.

We have 13 in our group, a bit of an odd size for taxis and vans, etc. We have 6 adults and 5 kids (mostly teenagers) and probably will end up with more luggage than one should have for a week long cruise, so that will be a factor.

I'm not sure if we should just take the cruise ship city tour to the airport, check our bags and then head back out to some part of the city or try to do a private transportation/tour.

Some of us may want to split up, so if there are ideas for smaller groups (3-4) then I'd consider that also. I think the luggage is the main complication.

Thanks for all the advice thus far everyone!

I live close to Montreal and go there often. I don' think you need to spend money on a ship tour. You can take many tours right from then port. A double decker bus is fun. You would and e if there is a ace there were you can eave luggage- I think there might be. Going to the airport. And then taking a taxi back would consume most of your day. When do you fly out of Montreal?

Does the ship offer Luggage Direct where you sign up onboard to have your luggage picked up and you don't see it until you arrive at your destination? It depends on what airline you are using. Worth every penny to do it. We did it in San Diego and never saw our bags until we arrived in Tampa.

We have 13 in our group, a bit of an odd size for taxis and vans, etc. We have 6 adults and 5 kids (mostly teenagers) and probably will end up with more luggage than one should have for a week long cruise, so that will be a factor.

I'm not sure if we should just take the cruise ship city tour to the airport, check our bags and then head back out to some part of the city or try to do a private transportation/tour.

Some of us may want to split up, so if there are ideas for smaller groups (3-4) then I'd consider that also. I think the luggage is the main complication.

Thanks for all the advice thus far everyone!

I unfortunately have no info on the luggage thing. But I will look into things available on taht day for all of you or some of you. Any special interests , architecture, nature, shopping etc ?

Until I know more about special interests, here is some info :

Amusement park , right next to the port.:

http://www.laronde.com/larondeen/info.asp

Montreal museum, downtown :

http://www.mbam.qc.ca/en/index.html

A really cool place to visit, also right next to the port ( in port in fact) :fun and interesting stuff for all ages, also has an Imax theater . In July they will still be having the Star wars event

Tickets for STAR WARS™ Identities also gives you access to General Admission Exhibitions

http://www.montrealsciencecentre.com/home.html

Right in port, you have… the Old port and tons of activities for all ages. People come ther to spend the day, you will be right on site. No need to take a cab or a bus, free wifi zone, great view of Montreal…:

http://www.quaysoftheoldport.com/home.html

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Our flight is at 7 pm and I assume we will disembark our HAL ship by 9 am. I think we are leaning towards reserving a room near the port to store our luggage (and to have a home base in case anyone wants to relax) and wander around the city and see what we feel up for. With grandparents, teenagers, a tween and a five year old, we all have a bit differing tastes!

Hi! I live in downtown montreal about 10 minutes from the old port. It's a fantastic area to walk around in, with plenty of shops and restaurants (if you want any restaurant recommendations, ill be happy to give you many :D)

I wouldn't advise trying to get to the airport just to drop off luggage, since it's definitely OUTSIDE the city. Seeing as we're in the middle of construction season (We have two seasons here: winter and construction) it sometimes takes up to an hour to get to Pierre Elliot.

The hotel might be an issue with checkout times and what not?...unless they have daytime rates?

I would advise storing luggage at the Gare Centrale (Central Station) train station (not to be confused with the Bus Station which strangely is also called Gare Centrale...)The train station is conveniently located downtown. They have cheap rates (2$ per bag?) and when you're done touring the city, you can catch a convenient commuter train from the station to the airport (Dorval station, which has a 5 minute free shuttle to PET airport)

Around the downtown train station there it is mainly the financial district, but there is big name shopping if that is of interest to you.

If you've got any questions about this great city, let me know!

nomadicbacchus,

What would be the easiest way to get from the port to the train station to store our luggage, a taxi? I'm guessing it is not close enough to walk.

I'd love a family friendly recommendation for lunch if you have one. Thanks for all the good advice!

Hi Jody,

I'm assuming you're docking at the Iberville cruise terminal in Old montreal, which is about a 15 minute walk to the Train station. With luggage it might be a hassle, seeing as part of it is up an incline. Taxi would be very simple, I'm assuming they wait at the cruise port at a taxi stand, and at the train station they can drive right inside and drop you off steps from the baggage counter.

In the old port, my favourite lunch restaurant is Olive and Gourmando, which is on St. Paul, less than five minutes from the cruise port. Very local vibe, great fresh food, amazing patisserie, and reasonable prices. Its a counter service type place, bustling and usually has a wait for tables. It is closed Sunday and Monday

St. Paul street and the perpendicular Mcgill street are full of great lunch places frequented by the business people around this district. It is a touristy place, so the prices are always a little higher than the rest of the city.

If you want a true montreal experience, and enjoy the jewish deli atmosphere, I would suggest going to Schwartz on St. Laurent boulevard. (It's about a 10 minute cab ride from the port or the train station) They serve world famous smoked brisket served on rye bread with mustard, and french fries. Similar to Katz's in NYC, this place is history and amazing food with no frills.

You can always get takeout, and enjoy a picnic in one of our great parks! In Quebec, you can also enjoy wine or beer with food in public places, so picnics can be wonderful on a nice day.

Happy to be of help! Holler if you want more lol...

Until I know more about special interests, here is some info :

Amusement park , right next to the port.:

http://www.laronde.com/larondeen/info.asp

Montreal museum, downtown :

http://www.mbam.qc.ca/en/index.html

A really cool place to visit, also right next to the port ( in port in fact) :fun and interesting stuff for all ages, also has an Imax theater . In July they will still be having the Star wars event

Tickets for STAR WARS™ Identities also gives you access to General Admission Exhibitions

http://www.montrealsciencecentre.com/home.html

Right in port, you have… the Old port and tons of activities for all ages. People come ther to spend the day, you will be right on site. No need to take a cab or a bus, free wifi zone, great view of Montreal…:

http://www.quaysoftheoldport.com/home.html

Thank you for the Star Wars recommendation! We're staying in Montreal pre-cruise, and I'm sure my son and husband (and myself!) will really enjoy that, as we are all Star Wars fans. :)

...I would advise storing luggage at the Gare Centrale (Central Station) train station (not to be confused with the Bus Station which strangely is also called Gare Centrale...)The train station is conveniently located downtown. They have cheap rates (2$ per bag?) and when you're done touring the city, you can catch a convenient commuter train from the station to the airport (Dorval station, which has a 5 minute free shuttle to PET airport)....

The Gare Centrale left luggage in the summer is limited to people with train tickets, they make exceptions only if they are quiet. They are better off leaving luggage at Gare Centrale d'Autocars (the central bus station) where they can catch the 747 bus to the airport for $8.

The Gare Centrale left luggage in the summer is limited to people with train tickets, they make exceptions only if they are quiet. They are better off leaving luggage at Gare Centrale d'Autocars (the central bus station) where they can catch the 747 bus to the airport for $8.

I was thinking about this as well, but don't you need a bus ticket here too (like a proper ticket on a greyhound or Orleans express...more than the STM's 747?).

I also remember them being simple lockers, which do not fit travel size rolling luggage (although this was the old station before the renovations...)

Please correct me if i'm wrong...

I was thinking about this as well, but don't you need a bus ticket here too (like a proper ticket on a greyhound or Orleans express...more than the STM's 747?).

I also remember them being simple lockers, which do not fit travel size rolling luggage (although this was the old station before the renovations...)

Please correct me if i'm wrong...

There are lockers, but if it won't fit they usually make arrangements (but limited hours) you do need a ticket, but the STM's 24 hour pass (so you can take the 747 to the airport) counts as a ticket.

• 1 year later...

We are also in Montreal like you with luggage can you tell me what you did in the end with the luggage e mail pleas mysticeye@sky.com as we are unsure how to see Montreal with all the bags thanks Lorraine across the pond

Archived