can you do the Tortuguero Canals on your own?

shamrockace

You probably could. But here is our personal story. We did a private tour and saw much of the area with part being the canals. Our tour guide had arranged for our water taxi view of the canals. The boats are stopped with regularity by the Police/River Traffic Division with plenty of weaponry. I did like it that we were all together and had a native person with us in case we needed assistance. We were stopped by them and the boat captain was required to produce all the proof that he was who he said he was. This canal leads is interesting in that you get to see all the drug running boats that have been captured and such.

Lou

I've not had fun like that except up around the Nicaraguan border. The officers were very professional and once they confirmed that I was just a tourist I was on my way.

Unfortunately drugs tend to be produced in South America and consumed in North America. The Central American countries are caught in between. Patrols and inspections are somewhat normal near the boarders. Try to keep in mind that the officials/officers are probably funded and trained by the USA to help control the problem back here in The States.

Archived